The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Making sideshow gaffs (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Hello folks. My first time posting in this area of the Café. I assume this is the proper section for this.
My question is. Are there any sources out there that give tips and instructions etc. on how to make your own sideshow gaffs. I am interested in making some for a project I am working on. I have some of my own designs and stuff sketched out but looking for books or what ever with more info on the process of actually bringing the ideas to life. Thanks all in advance.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
You will do better personally communicating with people who already make them. Folks here are very willing to share.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Thank you Ross.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
GReed3649
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of GReed3649
So if someone wanted to know the best ways to work up a fiji mermaid or a shrunken head all one has to do is ask? Because I'd love to know some of the techniques used to put these classic zibits together.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2020, GReed3649 wrote:
So if someone wanted to know the best ways to work up a fiji mermaid or a shrunken head all one has to do is ask?

No! First you have to swear to never reveal the secrets, or next time you go to the carnival a dozen burly carnies will kick you out on your butt! Can't tell you how they'll know, but THEY'LL KNOW! (Hint: look for a large chalk X on your back.)
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
GReed3649
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of GReed3649
Ok, let me clarify that I ain’t exactly your average mark, and if a carney can manage to chalk a full X on my shoulder I obviously deserve everything I get.

I’ve been doing makeup and FX work (home haunt and very bad local independent movies) for about 20 years and I’ve built my fair share of props...BUT I’ve always been curious about the different techniques regarding the classic sideshow gaffs. I’ve never had the opportunity to actually get my hands on an actual "show used" zibit, so I’ve never really been able to reverse engineer them.

I know how I'd make these things, but I’m genuinely curious about how the originals were put together. As for revealing any secrets I might come across, well where’s the fun in that?
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
[quote]On Jun 24, 2020, GReed3649 wrote:
Ok, let me clarify that I ain’t exactly your average mark, and if a carney can manage to chalk a full X on my shoulder I obviously deserve everything I get.

That’s HILARIOUS... and just adorable.
Do: watch steal, ashes in palm, pick pockets, or the like ring a bell?
You’ll never know you were touched, brother.
It’s certainly not a piece of chalk scratching your shoulder twice in a cross.
The mark is an art in itself.

All seriousness aside, I’m glad real marks think that way.
“I’m too wise and if I get taken, I deserve it.”

Peace

PS: Original mermaids were, of course, products of taxidermy.
I’ve made a few zibots over the years. I plaster cast a fishboy pickled punk, giant vampire fly, (famous for years), and the classic yet almost forgotten skatefish devil.
The advantages to my pieces is that they were all displayed in fluid.
You can get away with a lot in brown fluid.
I suggest giving that artistic talent of yours a chance to experiment.
You’ll no doubt have fun and probably create something better than would be taught.
Remember, out on season many times they used what they could get together.
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Always in motion is the future
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Making sideshow gaffs (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL