The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Magie Spectram closing their Montreal store (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Unfortunately they seem to be closing their brick and mortar store after 30 years in business
https://www.spectram.com/en/
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
This is such a shame. Sad and unexpected. I was there a week ago and had understood business was good.
They always had an impressive array of effects, and helpful staff, in both languages, for which I was always grateful. I have never been to a magic shop in Canada that displayed their wares so elegantly.
It would seem the most unexpected trick of the 21 century is on us: It is called, The Vanishing Magic Shop.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
That's really sad and, indeed, unexpected (to me, anyways).

So now there's no more boutique in Montreal, with Todsky's and Perfect Magic already gone online-only. The landscape sure changed these last two or three years. Smile
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
120 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2021, PaulPosition wrote:
That's really sad and, indeed, unexpected (to me, anyways).

So now there's no more boutique in Montreal, with Todsky's and Perfect Magic already gone online-only. The landscape sure changed these last two or three years. Smile

Definitely sad news to hear when it happened. You hit the nail on the head re: the landscape having changed.

Not to get off topic, but I always thought that video where Chris Ramsay drops $10,000 at Magie Spectram was a cool move by him; to give back to a place that brought so much to the city over the years.

That place will be missed. Hopefully it opens up a physical location again at some point in the future.
All about borrowed coins.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
This will be the first time in at least 50 years I think that there will be no brick and mortar magic store in Montreal. Morissey's moved to Toronto decades ago, then closed there. In Montreal there was also Jean de Rome's store in St Henri and a shop on de Bienville (I forget the names). And of course Henry Gordon's on Queen Mary road in the 1970's, as well as Cramer's magic and novelty shop on Guy street in the 70's as well.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Does anyone know if they are still taking online orders?? I tried ordering stuff, but my postal code keeps getting rejected even though I'm entering the correct one...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I don’t know if they are taking online orders, but my shop sure is: www.magicstore.ca
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Thanks todd, but I was looking to buy some chop cup balls, and I don't exactly have the money to pay 42.00 for a set..
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On May 18, 2021, iamslow wrote:
Thanks todd, but I was looking to buy some chop cup balls, and I don't exactly have the money to pay 42.00 for a set..

I’ve got some chop cup ball sets for $14:
https://www.magicstore.ca/woocommerce-se....../product
arius
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of arius
That's really sad, why will they close it ?
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2021, todsky wrote:
This will be the first time in at least 50 years I think that there will be no brick and mortar magic store in Montreal. Morissey's moved to Toronto decades ago, then closed there. In Montreal there was also Jean de Rome's store in St Henri and a shop on de Bienville (I forget the names). And of course Henry Gordon's on Queen Mary road in the 1970's, as well as Cramer's magic and novelty shop on Guy street in the 70's as well.

End of an Era when Perfect Magic closed. I think they had been near the corner of Van Horne/Victoria since 1979. A few generations of magicians passed through those doors
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2021, Bill08 wrote:
End of an Era when Perfect Magic closed. I think they had been near the corner of Van Horne/Victoria since 1979. A few generations of magicians passed through those doors

Yes, I was a regular at Perfect Magic for many years, and Phil and Evy were instrumental in helping me build my act. Before they opened (in 1979?) they started by having monthly magical gatherings in the basement of their home, where they would display and sell their magic props. Great magician mingling memories from those times. Alas...
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Agree Phil and Evy were a great team and served the community well. Perfect Magic was the first real magic shop I had the chance to visit (probably in 1988). At the time lived in Nova Scotia where no magic shops existed. David Acer was working there at the time and waited on me. We used to bring Phil and Evy into the magic club in Halifax for a great dealer/demo when they would be visiting their daughter in Halifax area. They would do a great job and I think always did well from a sales perspective. In later years I had the opportunity to visit the shop while on business trips to Montreal. Great memories...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Magie Spectram closing their Montreal store (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL