The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Most Overused Phrase (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
RayRannala
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
32 Posts

Profile of RayRannala
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2006, BrucUK wrote:
"....just an ORDINARY deck of cards"
Yeah right....
Bruce

I cringe when I hear magicians say this! Yikes!!!
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I seem to remember Eugene Burger being early-on an important voice in trying to make magic more interesting for the viewers. At the time, magicians thought they were being entertaining if they said. "Hold out your hand. I meant the clean one". Or equally in use was just saying the exact patter supplied with the instruction sheet that came with a trick or was written in a magic book. There are supposedly 7 stories. We could learn those and then try to apply one to a magic trick we like.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I just re-read this entire thread (I know... I know...) and what struck me was that so many of these phrases were in common use when I was starting out back in the late 60s. The clean hand, the trap door, the how do you know it's me, the ordinary this or that, were used all the time by the guys at the magic club. And here we are, all these years later, still using them.

I don't want to sound like a fuddy-duddy geezer, but I think it's swell and it cracks me up. Smile

[edit] While I'm at it, I used to say "Here we have an ordinary silk" all the time when I was starting out, until someone yelled out, "That's not a silk, that's a scarf." Did me a huge favor.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Mind Circus
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
127 Posts

Profile of Mind Circus
"And with a snap of my fingers...."
Khalid
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Khalid
"pick a card"

Spectator picks a card

"Amazing!"
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
We have never met before… correct?
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Nothing has been set up right?

LOL

It's in this hand

or my fave

This is an ordinary deck of cards 52 in total
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
A perfect Every day Carry! EDC...blah, blah, blah

Just STOP
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
-In the real world. Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Film your act-
Few years ago I filmed my live shows as often as I could-I always for some reason would say

Ladies & Gentlemen-

many times, whether it was young nerves I don't know, I hate that phrase and have since removed it totally from my show..so glad I saw that and filming your act picks up many crazy moments but its necessary...
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Or just change it to, "Ladies and germs." As possible coined by Milton Berle. Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Most Overused Phrase (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL