The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Catch - Marcus Eddie (Blackpool) (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2431 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2021, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2021, Platt wrote:
This is the first magic item I've ever returned in my life. Buyer beware. If anybody can do this sure-fire I'd love to see it, because I don't believe it can be done. The ultimate test would be a FB live video but pre-recorded video of someone, anyone performing this 10 or more times in a row would convince me.

Hey Platt, I’ve been meaning to reply to this. Sorry for the late reply. I can do this 50 times in a row as I’ve got over a decade of personal experience with this motion vanish. I’ll try and get a video up for you for your request of at least 10 times In a row. Unfortunately I will not be using the CATCH gimmick in the video because I feel my version not only predates it, but is all round better........for me. But I will absolutely be more than happy to get you a video ASAP and post it here. Or if you’d prefer, I could reach out to you in FB or email and show you. 😊 which ever one works for you my friend.

And does your version work with larger-sized coins (e.g. dollar-size coins) ? Smile
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2021, goldeneye007 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is the first magic item I've ever returned in my life. Buyer beware. If anybody can do this sure-fire I'd love to see it, because I don't believe it can be done. The ultimate test would be a FB live video but pre-recorded video of someone, anyone performing this 10 or more times in a row would convince me.

Hey Platt, I’ve been meaning to reply to this. Sorry for the late reply. I can do this 50 times in a row as I’ve got over a decade of personal experience with this motion vanish. I’ll try and get a video up for you for your request of at least 10 times In a row. Unfortunately I will not be using the CATCH gimmick in the video because I feel my version not only predates it, but is all round better........for me. But I will absolutely be more than happy to get you a video ASAP and post it here. Or if you’d prefer, I could reach out to you in FB or email and show you. 😊 which ever one works for you my friend.

And does your version work with larger-sized coins (e.g. dollar-size coins) ? Smile

My bad goldeneye007. I completely spaced the first time you asked. I apologize. To be honest I have not tested the larger coins. The way I designed the gimmick was to address some of my favorite ideas/routines involving some of the smaller coins I used over the years. ( quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies ) I have a few dollar coins so Give me some time to test it out. If they don’t work with what I’ve got I don’t think it would be impossible to make some adjustments. I’ll have to get back to you on this.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2431 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
No worries at all Lonnie, and sure thank you!
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Thanks Lonnie. To quote you "my version not only predates it, but is all around better."

I have no doubt a gimmick could exist that does the job. Perhaps that's your version. I can just say with near 100% certainty that "Catch" is not that gimmick. My request still stands.

Quote:
Quote:

Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Coming back into stock at Vanishing Inc., and Murphys around the end of July . . . Late night practice sessions and deep knee bends to pick up dropped coins coming up . . .
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
I have had Catch for about 2 weeks now and am enthusiastic about the concept.
Basically so much is possible with it (coin through glass, through table, transpositions, switches, etc.) if it works.
What bothers me, however, is a detail of the gimmick.
The stop function is great and very well thought out, but the gimmick does not work reliably enough in terms of the "output".
I hope it’s ok to say that too often your own skin stops the coin.
There is a need for optimization here.
If someone has a 3D printer, skills, time and of course the original product, I have a few ideas to make the gimmick perfect.
With a small change, it would work far better and more reliably.
Another recommendation I have is to put anti-slip rubber tape on top.
spaceman-sam
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of spaceman-sam
Quote:
On May 30, 2021, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
I was wondering why this looked so familiar. I actually release a version of this vanish through the magic estate in 2014. Coin through nose with Tyler. ( not a plug ) Joshua jay also has something from penguin way back with “corner” I believe. ( also uncredited ) The gimmick for Catch is too bulky for my liking. That’s probably because I’m use to a much thinner gimmick ( that I created back in 2010 ) As for the restrictions on the Catch gimmick. The mouth is too wide IMO. Causing the coin to fall out when putting your arm down in a normal position. There is absolutely a way to prevent this from happening and you can move your arm freely without fear of the coin falling out also retrieving it at any time. I know. I know. My post may come off as a bit bias. It is. Because I’ve been performing this vanish for over 10 years and I have a lot of pride and experience with this Specific style of vanish.
The gimmick itself is pretty cool but, just prefer to have more control. Which is why I’m sticking to what I’ve been using.

Marcus Eddie has my upmost respect. The man has created so many necessary effects and added a great wealth of knowledge to our community. He also has the greatest smile 😊 in the magic industry.

Just my 2 cents

Would be great to see your gimmick, sounds interesting! Any links you can share?
magicattorney
View Profile
New user
Charleston, South Carolina
30 Posts

Profile of magicattorney
If you were thinking about it.
Right now...it's on sale for $10 US instead of $24. 2021.11.24 7:14 AM East Coast Time.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-up-magic/catch
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2021, magicattorney wrote:
If you were thinking about it.
Right now...it's on sale for $10 US instead of $24. 2021.11.24 7:14 AM East Coast Time.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-up-magic/catch

Ugh, I just bought this last week from them at their Black Friday price. oh well.
maklakmak
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
That is the Black Friday price - currently £10 in the UK.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
My 2 cents: I just received this and very quickly got it to be super reliable. It's a brilliant design in my opinion. I agree with Artln above that the 'output' function is probably the knackiest element here. However, I have high hopes given some more time living with the device.

I knew going into it that it won't handle half dollars or dollars. However, given the nature of the design, it really seems like a larger device should handle those just fine. I would *love* a 'catch' that can handle a dollar size coin. The existing device is about 35mm wide. This can increase quite a lot before becoming impractical. I would love the designer(s) to make some comment on what they see as design limitations on going bigger, if any. In case they read this thread, I want to officially announce I'd be a buyer of a bigger model.

As it stands, for me, this is a keeper.

L
magictechy007
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of magictechy007
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2021, maklakmak wrote:
That is the Black Friday price - currently £10 in the UK.

I ordered it last week!
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I have been practicing with this and it has potential. will I use it? I think it requires some investment in time before I decide, but it is simple and effective. For utilities like this, it requires consistency in handling and consistency of position. Practice makes perfect for consistency in handling. I would recommend some "material" to keep the utility device from moving out of the exact location.

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
aderfall
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of aderfall
I just received it. It doesn't take a lot of practice to be consistent, especially if you either hop the coin slowly or do the wipe vanish. Making the quarter (nothing larger) appear via a large motion isn't that hard to master either. You're showing both hands empty, pluck a coin out of the air and toss (still invisible) into the hand that did the large sweep. I think it's a good opener that would involve quarters.
There is a section in the instructional video to "modify" the gimmick to do a "no arm motion" vanish, but the other vanish/reappearance routines are impressive enough. The gimmick is well designed, and how you move your arm and hand determines whether the coin is (slightly) locked in place or not. It hides in plain site with your watch. As long as the band is black and you show your hands naturally, no one is going to notice it. A good purchase.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-up-magic/catch/
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2021, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
It kind of feels like I’m bashing this product and honestly I’m not. I just have a personal issue with a certain aspect of the way this product was advertised and I’m currently trying to get that settled with Vanishing Inc. I also don’t want to give off the impression that I’m trying to high jack this Thread and influence others to purchase something I released a handful of years ago. In fact, I’d recommend that no one buy my release from the magic estate because there’s something in the works as of right now that is IMO superior to anything on currently on the market. My only goal with this thread is to add clarity on specific things while adding additional contributions to what’s possible with this style of vanish.

I’d also like to point out that there’s an easier way to practice this motion vanish. Just wear a long sleeve shirt. You’ll ultimately end up eliminating picking the coin up from the floor a million times and it’ll add confidence allowing you to get use to the hand eye coordination that’s required to perform this consistently.

P.S.There will definitely be a download @ takeachance ????

looking forward to what Lonnie has to offer here.
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Catch - Marcus Eddie (Blackpool) (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL