The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Water Torture Cell (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicnator
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicnator
Hey everyone!

I'm considering making a water torture cell type illusion. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this can be built to come apart for packing. Or would that compromise the seal of the water? Has anyone ever made a water tank or similar that comes apart for travel? Just seems like it could pack a lot more efficiently. Thanks.
john magic wright
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of john magic wright
I don’t understand what you think you might be saving by breaking this water torture down a couple of inches in shipping and the thought of making a homemade water torture cell is very dangerous you should contact Bill Smith at Magic ventures or some professional builder and pay the $10,000 or you’ll drown if you cannot hold your breath for more than four minutes you will drown
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
I’ve not seen a cell that comes apart or “packs flat” for touring. Quite a bit of Houdini’s cell can be seen:

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/search/......e%20Cell

I’m quite fond of Willie Kennedy’s water cell builds. I really like David Blaine’s sphere and the tank he uses on
tour. Andrew Basso’s is pretty cool, I loved the Jay Owenhouse prop as well, which was massive.

I would involve a professional builder/consultant for expertise and safety , like Willie Kennedy, Johnny Gaughan,
Bob North (if he’s available) Tim Clothier, Bill Smith and or consult Richard sherry (Whom is an expert with w.t.c.) ,
Patrick Culliton, Jay Owenhouse and many other professionals when considering this prop / effect. Safety should
be paramount as such absolutely involve industry professionals in this regard.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I worked with Jay Owenhouse when he first got his from Willie Kennedy. Extremely well-built, but not at all for a "weekend warrior" type performer. Breaking down the tank would not be at all practical, as the seals would be compromised and would take far too long to maintain. As it was. it did develop a very slow leak over time. There's a tremendous amount of weight with that much water.

The enormous table on which it stood did "break down" but its crate was still very large. And heavy. Other things that people tend to forget about is that the water must be carefully lit so that everything is visible, and that's a tricky task all on its own. Then there's the rigging to lift the performer and lower him into the tank. Again a very sensitive bit of equipment that can very easily break the performer's ankles if not done extremely carefully. And don't forget that you need to budget several hours to heat the water to a workable temperature.

Honestly, the effort expended on trouping just this prop was equivalent to most performers' entire shows. It was an enormous task, and a crowd-pleaser to be sure, but not to be considered lightly. You've got to make sure you've got absolutely every detail covered to present it effectively.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Jay's mobile stage & setup was incredible. I think hands down is still one of my fondest memories seeing magic when I was younger. (and André Kole)
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The Weight point is well taken. At 7.5 pounds per gallon of water, you are going to have to be careful where you perform it on stage. Some restored theater stages will not hold the weight.
I remember being very cautious and concerned about the weight of Kristen Johnson tank when she played the Battle of Magicians in Canton, Ohio on the restored Palace's stage.
Something to definitely keep in mind.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Water Torture Cell (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL