The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Items you have sold and find you wish you hadn't ? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I don't know if this is the right thread for this ...
but am I the only one who has sold magic props, then re-bought them again?

What makes us do this ...
to get extra $$ ££ in order to make another purchase;
convince ourselves we do not use it any more?

Here are a couple of items I have sold, and re-bought - because they are THAT good!

X-Act Mike Kirby
https://www.jbtv.co.uk/p/best-sellers/x-act-by-mike-kirby

Vision Box Joao Miranda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUc0r-5HWrk

what's your list?
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Turkish Tormoil.

I actually didn't really like the trick, but it was a cool looking prop and I sold it. Darn!

Also, when I was a kid I used to write to various magicians and ask for their autograph on a playing card. I'd sent them all an AS and almost all of them signed it and sent it back. Dai Vernon not only sent it back with his signature, he sent me a personalized photo that he signed. I sold all of the signed cards AND the stuff from Vernon. What an idiot!

I eventually joined the Castle and used to run into Vernon a lot, but was always too shy to ask him for his autograph.

Oh well!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
I have not sold ANY but I did lose my Squeeze Play from Tenyo.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
61 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Hi Wulfie,

Don't get me started! I have frequently sold and repurchased the exact same effect. You can see some here - but this is just ones I have purchased 3+ times, if I included the ones that I have just repurchased once the list would be much longer! My worst offender is the beautiful Wandering Mummy by Tony Lackner and Harold Voit - I have purchased and sold that 4 times, each time regretting it!

I have even stopped tracking it as it was becoming embarrassing! It is one thing if you buy a different version of the same effect, but if you buy and sell the same version then it is clearly a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing Smile

andy
Martin's Magic Collection
The Largest Online Collection of Rare, Vintage, and New Magic!
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Oh I have certainly sold magic and regretted it and then rebought it or tried to, but the top effects that I sold or sold and wish I wouldn’t have are below.

1. Johnny Paul Cups - sold regretfully
2. Martin Lewis - Signature Sketchpad - MIA
3. Martin Lewis - Original Comeback Card - sold regretfully
4. MICKY HADES IMPROVED Finger Chopper - sold regretfully
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Mike Rogers' Crystal Ball.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Cuban release, bought and sold 3 times
Alice through the looking glass, twice
Bunny box, twice
Doves to Rabbit
Where the magic begins
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
GHOST... What an idiot I was.. I had an additional loose leaf addition to go with it for any "Phantom Page" type effect .. I should cry right now!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I left my Paul Fox cups on a bus.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
AS of right now.. I guess I am the luckiest... I haven't sold anything yet that I have regretted or repurchased. But maybe someday I will be getting close to that... As I have been selling off some of my collection here and there... So we shall see what the future holds.. Maybe I should pick and choose carefully..
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Tons of Tricks, illusions, and books.

Chu's Sword suspension
Collector's workshop Kybra Cobra
Ultimate Chinese Sticks (2 sets)
Stupid bean trick
and the list goes on and on.
Amazing what you give up when your industry shut down due to the pandemic and you don't work for 14 weeks.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I had an original Blackstone Floating Lightbulb... Which was given to me by my Magic mentor. Who worked with Blackstone Sr on his show. Harry had given it to him as a gift and he had passed it on to me. I sold it for a fair price and later got a email from the buyer.. and even though it was packed well.. The USPS I guess took it upon themselves to handle the package without care. I was shown pictures of everything broken when the package was opened by the buyer. I later (sadly) learned that I probably could have gotten 5 times what was orig paid for the bulb.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
There are quite a few that I wish I HAD bought, but did not, but I never sell magic, so...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Kinda off-topic, I know, but ... as a gun collector of sorts, I can attest that every other gun owner I've ever known would confess to the same sort of seller's remorse being discussed here with respect to any firearm he's ever owned and subsequently let go of. Over 40 years ago, I traded a nice little "rabbit gun" (410 gauge/.22 caliber combo) for a moped, and to this day the thought of that still rekindles mild to moderate pangs of regret.

As for magic items, however, all I've sold in recent times have been a couple of marked decks that simply did not suit my taste and/or abilities, and I've no regrets thus far. Only time will tell if that may change.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Many years back I sold Sanky Magus Capsule. With what I know now I wish I had it.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
I gave away my Tenyo collection to a budding magician.
Definitely an exercise in letting go. But every now and then I feel a lump of sadness in my stomach.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Items you have sold and find you wish you hadn't ? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL