The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » What gimmicked decks do you Actually Use? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2023, KMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2023, spudster85 wrote:
Invisible Pack is always a go to.

Lately, I've been using a self working trick that uses the jokers. All that is gimmicked is the jokers have a "43" and "18" written on the back. From there, it is stacked. Spectator 1 chooses a card. Spectator 2 chooses a card. All the cards are picked up. In the end, the jokers speak to the magi and state the chosen cards are at these positions. Count down 18 cards and card one is there. Count down to position 43, second card is there. Then the jokers are flipped revealing the numbers on the back. Completely self working. Been getting really good response from it. Once the trick is over, the gimmicked deck becomes a regular deck.

Was something like this featured on Fool Us? It sounds really familiar.

Yes, I believe it was. The effect is called Prior Commitment by Simon Aronsen.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Coercion by Paul Richards. Just FANTASIC!!!!! Any Card by Richard Sanders, love it as well.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck. Really leaves people flabbergasted.

Trilogy Streamline. Another really good one.

I got some good mileage out of David Regal's Prophecy Pack. Simple to do, but effective.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
112 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2023, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2023, KMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2023, spudster85 wrote:
Invisible Pack is always a go to.

Lately, I've been using a self working trick that uses the jokers. All that is gimmicked is the jokers have a "43" and "18" written on the back. From there, it is stacked. Spectator 1 chooses a card. Spectator 2 chooses a card. All the cards are picked up. In the end, the jokers speak to the magi and state the chosen cards are at these positions. Count down 18 cards and card one is there. Count down to position 43, second card is there. Then the jokers are flipped revealing the numbers on the back. Completely self working. Been getting really good response from it. Once the trick is over, the gimmicked deck becomes a regular deck.

Was something like this featured on Fool Us? It sounds really familiar.

Yes, I believe it was. The effect is called Prior Commitment by Simon Aronsen.

Mark

Thanks for providing the source and creator. I was taught it by a friend of mine. I had no idea where it came from.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I had special Jokers made up for Prior Commitment. The printed writing under the each had the Joker tell the position where the spectator would find their cards.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Graham Jolley is the magician who performed Prior Commitment on Fool Us. Season 1, episode 1. He fooled P&T.

Mark
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Sventalism by Max Maven in Genii.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2023, J Christensen wrote:
Sventalism by Max Maven in Genii.

Which issue is this in?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Not sure about Genii, but Sventalism appeared in Magic Magazine, May 1999, page 74.

Mark
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks Mark!
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2023, Magic Mark wrote:
Not sure about Genii, but Sventalism appeared in Magic Magazine, May 1999, page 74.
Mark

Ah, that's Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring column.

As such, Sventalism also appears in Steinmeyer's Conjuring Anthology book, page 316.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Used a Svengali deck forever and fooled a FISM winning close up performer with it. Not as often used but I do use a Mirage deck. I have lot of marked decks do they count? I collect them.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
In his OP to this thread, Steven Keyl referred to Peter Duffie's Vanished Deck from Effortless Card Magic. I couldn't find the deck when I searched my e-copy of the book. Does it go by some other name in the book?

Thanks...

P. S. Then again, maybe I couldn't find the deck because, well, because it vanished. Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Believe it is called Vanished and Gone....
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, J R Talbot. That's the one. Just for the record, it's Vanished *or* Gone.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » What gimmicked decks do you Actually Use? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL