The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » History of Magic Lectures (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I am interested in tracing the history of magic lectures, keeping in mind that there are two main distinctions:
1) lectures for the public that are mainly on the history and art of magic (I think John Mulholland was famous for that kind of lecture)
and
2) lectures for magicians--usually held at or sponsored by magic clubs or magic shops--focusing on tricks, routines and tips on presentation/showmanship.

I remember that Emil Loew represented a lot of European lecturers back in the 1960's.

Thanks for any information. I'm planning an article on magic lectures for _The Wizard's Eye_, IBM Ring 103's newsletter.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In retrospect, my inquiry about magic lectures was likely sparked by re-reading the review of David Ben's book _Dai Vernon: The Spirit of Magic_ in the "Light from the Lamp" column of the December 2022 issue of _GENII_.
The review by Nathan Coe Marsh begins with this statement:
-----quote------
Dai Vernon's lectures of the 1940's, '50's, '60's and '70's had a profound and multi-layered impact on the world of magic. They led to the modern lecture tour.
-----unquote-----

I had the very good fortune of seeing The Professor lecture twice--once in Washington DC and once in Norfolk, VA.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Based on your recent post about Light of the Lamp, it sounds like you have access to the Genii archives. Hopefully you had a chance to look into the reference I posted for you on that thread. Regarding lectures, check out page 31 of the April 1997 issue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » History of Magic Lectures (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL