The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Human Blockhead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4715 Posts

Profile of landmark
Does anyone know of any sources for performing the Human Blockhead?

Thanks,
landmark
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
search...
http://www.sideshow-freaks.com/sideshow_......tocf.htm
Please sign the guestbook.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
koan
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
63 Posts

Profile of koan
Has anyone ever been seriously injured by doing this effect? I do it from time to time and wanted to start using a longer nail but I'm a little scared. Any advice?

Also, is there a good way to time blood dripping from your nose. I have fake blood but it always runs out earlier than I want it too.

koan
if a dove appears in the woods and no one is around to see it... is it magic?
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Width is more amazing then length, no joke.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
To get blood at just the right time, use a 10 inch nail up a five inch nose! Mel Burkhart did the blockhead for more than 70 years. No blood, just excellence.
http://www.sideshow-freaks.com/sideshow_......ault.htm
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
Jim Rose "Freak Like Me." It has explanations to lots of this stuff in the ending chapter.
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I've done the blockhead for years,its NOT a blood thing.Blood would cheapen the effect and routine.
Don
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Any lunatic can hammer a nail into their head and then bleed everywhere. But only a pro can hammer a nail into their head and not bleed. Which do you want to be?

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I have never seen more inaccuracies in a book than "Don't Try This at Home" in Rose's book!
DANGER_DANGER_DANGER!!!
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Yep. The 'how to' section at the back of that book is misleading at best. Deadly dangerous at worst. As Slim almost said above.

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"

Take care

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thank you Slim Price for the link to the sideshow freaks site. The photo's and reproductions on this site have brought back some great childhood memories.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It's a little late to be adding to this thread, but come to Coney Island in November and we'll teach you to do the Blockhead and much more.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I perform this a lot...people flip when they see it.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
After performing the Blockhead for over 20 years, I had my first accident. I was performing on the street (actually, it's a stage set up in a shopping pier) and while hammering, hit something and the blood flowed. I tried to claim it was part of the act, but didn't get away with it.

I know exactly what went wrong. The previous night, I did a show and another performer said I should switch hands (I usually hammer with left, hold with right) so the audience could see the insertion better. This has never been an issue before, but I let it distract me. I should have realized you simply can't change 20 years of practice and technique in two minutes. So, in mid-hammer the next day, I changed hands.

The blood looked scarier than the actual damage, but it gave me new respect for this trick which I've been fairly casual about.

Be careful!
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
Quote:
On 2003-09-23 20:46, djvirtualreality wrote:
I perform this a lot...people flip when they see it.

True enough. I had a mother cover her children's eyes and drag them away while I was doing the Blockhead. Sometimes the audience's reactions are entertaining. Smile Smile
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
How far can the average person go?

I say that because I'm unsure if 4.5''-5'' is normal. That's all I can do.

(I know there's a joke there, but come on, that's a little too easy...)
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
Anyone trying this should know that you have to dull and round the tip of the nail; some performers have their spikes chromed and the smoothness of the chrome allows a safe situation. If you use a pointed nail you run the risk of seriously damaging important membrane in your sinus cavities. Be careful!
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
If you are able to get to your sinus cavities, you are doing some sort of miracle! Do a little homework.
Browse inferior turbinates, at least.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
I meant to say nasal sanscan, stay calm. Just trying to help prevent injury.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I always keep a small first aid kit handy. In it I have a few Q-tips and a tube of neosporin antibacterial creme. If I have a nose bleed from the blockhead, which sometimes happens after I have flown to a gig thanks to the lousy dry air in the plane,I swab it out with the creme to prevent infection. I also keep a bottle of Ocean nasal spray in the kit too and spray my nasal passage if it gets too dry. Ocean spray is just salt water and it moistens up the membranes nicely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Human Blockhead (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL