The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Accepting tips: Do you? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
Like most others here, I also don’t go all out to make a point of soliciting for tips. If they are offered, I do accept on the principle that

1. They enjoyed what they had been shown

2. They have no problem parting with their money.

3. The management has no problem with you accepting tips.

I have heard stories in the past where the magician has started each table with a cup and ball routine and after finishing he has blatantly left a cup on the table and commented that "it is there in case anybody feels an urge to tip" which to me is very ignorant, in fact I would probably feel an urge to -ee in his cup. Smile

But besides that... no, I have no grievances with accepting tips.. IF OFFERED!
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I smile and tell the person "No thanks, it's not necessary". If they insist I then take it. It is their way of saying "Thank you"

Don't spoil a magic moment that the spectator enjoys by saying no. Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

First, let me point out that tipping here in the UK is not like in the US, where you have a kind of obligation to tip. Here most people would not tip a waiter or waitress unless they thought that they had exceptional service

I believe that in the US a 15% tip is almost an obligation.

That said, I do get a lot of tips at the majority of all of my bookings, even kid shows, I price for this, my prices always end in £7 this makes it sound like less money to the buyer, yet they virtually always round up, and about 40% will round to the next £5 the figure is the flush of happiness they get into when you have done another great show

This makes a big difference to your yearly income. I must point out that I will not accept tips from the guests, only from the booker.

I do not want to give the immpression that I am in any way hustling the guests, in fact I will not accept bookings that require me in any way collecting money.

If I am booked to perform street magic and balloon models then my fees are inclusive.

I never charge the general public for a balloon model.

phillip Smile
Robin Parker
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
117 Posts

Profile of Robin Parker
p.b jones, you brought up an interesting point about the obligation in the US to tip servers; I think that that "obligation" is rubbish & I dont accept the implied obligation.

I ask the question, why? Why should I accept the obligation? Who are restaurant owners that they don’t have to compensate their employees? Why are restaurant owners special relative to other business owners in that I am "obligated" to release them of their responsibility to compensate the servers?

Is it not enough that I support the business by spending money there, by purchasing their food? Restaurant owners get away with murder by paying their employees so little, if anything, and I don’t see why I should be responsible for the pay of servers.

I was a professional waiter for years and I finally began to see just how much work & service a restaurant owner receives for little or nothing. Restaurant owners receive much value for very little value; that is a bad deal for the waiter but then it is the decision of an individual to work there.

That does not mean that I am "obligated" to compensate them. Compensation is a personal business deal between the owner of a business and the employees and I don’t want to deal with other people’s business.

Before one responds to this post, I would appreciate an answer to the questions I have posed.

Thanks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Okay.

Robin said: "Why should I accept the obligation? Who are restaurant owners that they don't have to compensate their employees? Why are restaurant owners special relative to other business owners in that I am "obligated" to release them of their responsibility to compensate the servers?"

The answer to all of that is pretty much the same:

You are NOT obligated to tip.

Now, if you were in much of Europe, the tip would simply be added to your bill and you WOULD be obligated to tip.

As one who spent many years behind the bar, or on the floor covering tables, and who also owned my own restaurant, I repeat:

You are not obligated to tip.

Anyone.

Anywhere.

Anytime

Period.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
PHEW !!

it`s getting a bit heated in here, I think I`ll just.... erm... tip the staff and go outside for a crafty smoke.

Smile
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Peter,

Just curious, which countries in Europe enforce this compulsory tipping?

phillip Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Well, Italy and France, for two, add 15 per cent generally to the bill.

You usually get better service if they think you are a tourist, rather than a local.

That way you are likely to tip ON TOP of the required gratuity; the locals don't. They just grudingly pay the required 15 per cent that is added to the bill.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Peter,

Could they not just boycott the establishment stating their reason, surely with enough people complaining and loss of business they would have to rethink their policy?

phillip
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
They COULD, p.b., but they won't.

Hey, you're lucky if you can get enough people together to agree on the formation of a national government!

You think they are going to go out of their way for a 15 per cent charge on a restaurant bill?

Besides, the policy of tipping (obligatory or not) has been going on for so long that it has become ingrained and, therefore, virtually impossible to change.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
Both in my job in a hotel and when I perform I don’t solicit tips nor do I outright deny them, the first time they are offered.

I decline, if the offer is pushed, I inform them that I am already being paid to do my job by the person who hired me, and if they offer one last time I accept. I found out while working at the hotel that someone can actually become rather offended if you do not accept their tip. Just my 1/50th of a dollar.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
748 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
My 21 years of full-time experience says never turn down a tip. It is rude and insulting to the person who is just trying to say thank you. They know it is not equal to your salary it is just a small bonus and their way of thanking you. I don’t solicit tips in any way or even borrow money for a routine and when the customers sit down at the table they are told by the management that I am there and the entertainment is complementary and yet they still tip me.... they are just saying thank you. Be gracious, put it in your pocket and say thank you.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Carl,

I think this depends on the image you want to portray

I never accept drinks or tips from spectators and have never had anyone take offence. the only person from whom I will accept a tip is the booker.

I have a reputation to keep up, I am over twice the price of my nearest competition and part of the reason for this is image.

I am a General magician, in that I do all sorts of engagements; cabaret, close up, street magic and children. But I would never take a booking that requires me to take money from people. For example if I am hired to perform street magic and make balloon models for children there are a couple of entertainers in my area that will charge a really low fee and sell the balloons. personally I will not do this (not that there is anything wrong with it)

I charge the company/authority a price and that’s that. I am invited to perform at some of the best homes in my area and if these people thought that I was busking or in any way needy it would be the kiss of death as far as working for them again goes. Now, you may consider this snobbery and maybe it is. But, I like getting large fees to perform for nice people in nice homes with none of the non payment hassles that I hear of from other entertainers.

So I suppose it’s whatever you are comfortable with

phillip Smile
korneille
View Profile
New user
québec/canada
44 Posts

Profile of korneille
Do I take tips? Sure, I'm a bartender who happens to do tricks for the customers!

Since I serve drinks I don’t have this moral dilemma. On the other hand, if I were to do only magic then I won't take tips because I’m already paid to perform! Smile

I believe that if you are paid to perform, then you just don’t need tips. This is just my to cents on the subject Smile

create!!
"if we don’t take action now we settle for

nothing later we’ll settle for nothing now

and we’ll settle for nothing later!"

rage against the machine
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
If you don’t want to accept tips here’s what I do:

When I am handed the tip (usually It’s a bill), I jump into my money orgami mode and fold the bill into a boot, tie etc. and give it back to the person.

This is a subtle way of returning the money that doesn’t make them look bad and it is just as entertaining as magic itself. Below is a link to a free money orgami site that should get you started.

http://www.umva.com/~clay/money/
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I like that idea Vovin. The only tips I don't accept are $1 tips. I politely thank them, saying I'm paid by the house.

To me, a dollar tip tells me these folks might be struggling to begin with and are just being extra nice, so give em a break.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
VernonOnCoins!

I like your train of thought! A very polite approach with people that may need the money!

However, (and I hate, "howevers"), I think some people’s pride, and mere appreciation of your talents gives them the opportunity to re-pay you for making their day just a little bit better!

Most people don’t want something for nothing, and this is just their way of letting you know you are appreciated!

I think it is appropriate to accept the dollar tip, and people go away feeling better as well!

Respectfully,

Steve
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
DaveVegas
View Profile
New user
Leicester,England
89 Posts

Profile of DaveVegas
I think you should do what you feel is right. At my last gig I did a 10 minute spot at a table and got a £20 tip ($35 approx)
from one guy - he would have been really p***** off if I'd not taken it - so I did. Hey, I've got three kids to feed, pride don't come into it!
I did do a couple of extra tricks making him the centre of attention... seemed fair to me!
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Quote:
On 2001-09-14 08:48, Tom Cutts wrote:
I have had to soften my rigid stand on this issue. Still, I will not work for tips. I will not solicite tips. But if they are offered.....

I agree with Tom. However, I'd like to add a tidbit that doesn't seem to have been addressed in the postings so far (or, at least, I didn't notice it).

If you should happen to accept a tip, thank them by performing another trick especially for them. This not only says "thank you" in a more tangible way, it also helps them to see that they actually got something for their money (almost as if they were paying for a private performance).

By doing this, both you and the tipper win and feel gratified. Should you decide to hand the tip over to the waitstaff, everybody wins.

As a personal note, I inform the waitstaff that all tips under $10 go to them. Anything over that, we split equitably. That policy has worked well for me.

Geoff Williams
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I'm with most people here. I never solicit, but accept if offered. I think part of this general attitude has to do with the times though. I've known several older magicians who worked on tips all the time some years ago. I guess things worked somewhat differently then.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Accepting tips: Do you? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL