The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just a funny story I used (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I was sitting with a group of people and I came up with this story from the top of my heed Smile
If you break it down you can see the hooks. Here it is.

I knew this guy called Terry foil, He had a circus act that was that talk of the time. He did this act with his wife Sue. The thing was his act was the tight rope and he had no legs! They used to wheel him to the ladder and he would climb with his hands and then cross the rope on his hands.
Now this was one part of the act, his wife sue had no arms and her act was the trapeze! She would swing from bar too bar with her legs only while her husband would walk the tight rope with his hands.
This odd couple were the rage in the 1970's You should have seen them Smile

This is the rubbish I can feed too people to reel them in. You can see how the story has many places for interaction.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I use an old joke about my grand father who was the 7th son of a 7th son born on july 7, 1907 or 7-7-7 on 7-7-77 his 70th birthday we went to pimlico ( home of the second jewel of the triple crown of horseracing and just 20 miles from my house) and the 7th horse in the 7th race was named 7th heaven. He took out his credit card and put 7000.00 on that horse,{at this point I pause and most people will ask if it won to which I reply} NAHHH it came in 7th. Jeff
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11173 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Man... I just tried Partizan's circus story at the amputee ward and I got half a standing ovation and a nearly silent round of applause. I think this has potential!

Of course next time, when I deliver the final line, "You should have seen them.", I'll make sure the audience isn't also blind. Live and learn...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2005-01-20 20:46, Partizan wrote:
I knew this guy called Terry foil, He had a circus act that was that talk of the time. He did this act with his wife Sue. The thing was his act was the tight rope and he had no legs! They used to wheel him to the ladder and he would climb with his hands and then cross the rope on his hands.
Now this was one part of the act, his wife sue had no arms and her act was the trapeze! She would swing from bar too bar with her legs only while her husband would walk the tight rope with his hands.
This odd couple were the rage in the 1970's You should have seen them Smile

Maybe I am slow, but am I missing something here? Is there a joke in this story that I am missing?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Take a step back and look at what your mind did when you read the premise of the story!
The concept is a tongue twister for the mind. You start to add and remove limbs from your construct in an attempt to picture the scene.
This is a very disarming way (pun) of getting the persons imagination into gear and primed for what you will show them.
- Mark Twain
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-01-20 21:41, nums wrote:
I use an old joke about my grand father who was the 7th son of a 7th son born on july 7, 1907 or 7-7-7 on 7-7-77 his 70th birthday we went to pimlico ( home of the second jewel of the triple crown of horseracing and just 20 miles from my house) and the 7th horse in the 7th race was named 7th heaven. He took out his credit card and put 7000.00 on that horse,{at this point I pause and most people will ask if it won to which I reply} NAHHH it came in 7th. Jeff

How about on his 77th birthday?
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
The thing is I really know a guy who done a balance act and he had no legs. He used to do this thing where he made a tower of 'wooden bricks' he stacked them and built them up with one hand then the other. He used to get 15 bricks high and then do a one arm balance on the top. His wife had all her arms and legs though. But that is another story.
- Mark Twain
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2005-01-21 19:38, Jordini wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-20 21:41, nums wrote:

How about on his 77th birthday?

If it was his 77th birthday, then the year portion of the story would have to be 7/7/84, and that kills the "7" theme of the joke.

Partizan,
I didn't mean any offense by my question, I just thought there was an actual punchline in that story that I was missing or something. But now that you mention it, I did visualize each portion of the story as I read it, so I guess it did just what you wanted it to do. The story would be somewhat empty if told on it's own, but if you followed it up with an effect, saying, "This odd couple was the rage in the 1970's, you should of seen them. The things they did defied man's perception of what was possible, and what was impossible. Here, let's try something impossible, and see if we can change our own perceptions in the process, shall we? Now pick a card, any card, etc..."
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just a funny story I used (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL