The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Quartin
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Quartin
Hi every one ,
I am new to magic and my repertoire is no more than a few coin sleiths.As I am 45 ,I don´t know if sleith of hand is a good choice.It´s like starting to play a musical instrument very late .But sleith of hand magic is the one that atracts me more :coins,cups and balls and every day small items for impromtu.Is it a waist of time to dedicate my time to sleith of hand whend there are so many tricks available that does´t (or allmost)need so much dexterity ? maybe the thumb tip could be an option? any suggestions? Thank you.
Fernando
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hi Quart and welcome,

I'm a bit older than you and do sleight of hand.
As long as you're hands are OK I see no reason why you shouldn't pursue sleight of hand.
Start with some easier sleights and see how it goes.

Sleights will be needed for Impromptu magic.

There are gimmicks that appear as normal items as well as those that are unseen by audiences.
Quartin
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Quartin
Thank you jaz.I´m not looking after a professional carrier as a magician (I´m a painter)but I hould like to be a fine hobbist, fine enough to entretain my family and my friends with simple impromtu magic(often not so simple to execute)in a casual maner.nothing extremly ambitious.Besides that I like to own the ability of sleigh of hand.Redy made tricks that we buy in the magic shop and work alone doesn´t mean very much to me(some of them are very visual I have to agree)we can´t buy sleigh of hand with all the money of the world ,we develop it and it belongs to us.thats why I like it.Wich dvd´s/books are advisible to fit my kind of ambition?any suggestion would be welcome.thanks
Fernando
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm a hobbiest too but have been a serious one for many years.
I suggest you go to the following topics and read the first sticky (ones w/ donuts) posts about getting started.

* Show me the money - coins and bills are the most common impromptu items. I began with Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic". Good book, lots of sleights, routine and inexpensive.

* Rings, strings & things - elastic bands, string, finger rings, etc. No sticky posts here but lots of information.

* Magic...at a moment's notice! - all about impromptu. No sticky posts here but lots of information.

In fact all the topics under "Closeup Worker is interesting.
Take a look around your home, workplace and places you visit and see what things you would like to do magic with.

A while back I posted a list of Common Impromptu Items here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52

What type of painting do you do?
Quartin
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Quartin
Good advices Jazz,and what an array of props you collected on the old post,we are all the time surrounded by magic props without noticed it.
My painting is abstract and big with no drawing just some incriptions on it, sort of grffittis.Very thick and textured in order to loose the canvas sensation.they`r a piece of wall that we hang on the real wall.thank´s for asking
Fernando
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Welcome to the Café, Fernando. =)
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

Welcome to the Café!! Jaz gave you such wonderful information that I can't possibly add more other than to say you can see for yourself what a friendly place this is. Please don't hesitate to post or ask a question of your own. The New to Magic forum gives really good info on which books or vids are highly suggested depending on where you interest lies. Have fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL