We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » R.I.P. Johnny Carson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
One of our own.

"After discovering magic at age 12, Carson immediately became a boy obsessed. His middle-class parents indulged this interest, including a magician's table covered with a black velvet cloth on which his mother embroidered "The Great Carsoni." Carson later said, "I thought it was just about the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen." Soon, by mixing magic with comedy, the teenager had stumbled onto a career."
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Oh man, this breaks my heart. I have always considered him one of the great kings of television. He'll be missed.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Actually, he was a very good slight of hand magician.

One thing he always did was spotlight magic on TV as it should have been. He let the magicians shine, not taking the spotlight from them.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My favorite TV moment was when Carson looked at Dolly Parton's cleavage and said...

"I'd give a weeks pay to look in there!"

One of the biggest laughs ever.

Bye Johnnie.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Very funny, classy guy who will not be forgotten.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
They're showing all sorts of clips on the television from past shows.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
A sad day for Americans who love Late Night TV. RIP Mr. Carson.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
How many of "The Greats" were showcased, or even catapulted, by Carson? I remember seeing John Scarne on "Tonight" a lot. Johnny was fond of magicians and close-up men in particular because they played so well on TV. Others? Any of you been on?
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-01-23 18:06, Xmosis wrote:
My favorite TV moment was when Carson looked at Dolly Parton's cleavage and said...

"I'd give a weeks pay to look in there!"

One of the biggest laughs ever.

Bye Johnnie.

Doug

A YEARS PAY! OMG! I laugh every time I hear that. And the funny thing - Johnny would have done it probably! Only to later make a big joke out of it.

He catapaulted a number of magicians on the tonight show. Dean Dill and Paul Gertner are 2 that shoot out in my mind immensly.

I had a wonderful day today, but found this out and felt sorrow. He was truely the perfect television show host without a doubt. He will be missed.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5136 Posts

Profile of landmark
He made it all seem so easy.

Simply the best at what he did.

Letterman issued a statement saying that the rest of us are just pretenders. How true!

He will be missed

Jack Shalom
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Rats.
Double rats.
Triple rats.
I saw him perform linking rings once, on TV. Sooo smooth. Sooo effective. Without any designs or fancy stuff. Perfect for him. Sooo smooth.
Quadruple rats.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
598 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
I Loved watching Johnny Carson.

Yes, he will be missed, but I've been missing him for years.

Good-Bye Mr. Carson Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
If you guys don't have his DVD Volumes...you have to get them. They are Hilarious!! And there is a good bit of magic in there as well.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I have video of the two times Michael Skinner was on the Tonight Show from the 70's. Once with Tony Curtis hosting and the other time with Johnny.

I also have the box set of the Tonight Show with Johnny. Great stuff. I missed a lot sleep because of Mr.Carson...and so glad I did. I remember it from the beginning. I'm very lucky to have lived with Johnny for all those years.

If any of you think you remember a magician Johnny might have had on but not sure, there is a "guess search" on the site at:
http://www.johnnycarson.com
Just type in a name.

THANK YOU JOHNNY CARSON. You gave me many happy times over the years, you will surely be missed by myself and many others.

Don
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
It makes you wonder if he was announced by St. Peter.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Loved to stay up late just to watch him. The last thing I saw each night was Johnny's face! He will be missed.
Life of Magic!
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I will miss Johnny dearly. I grew up watching him. What a legend. There will never and I mean NEVER be another one like him. I have fond memories of "Carnac".

Johnny holds envelope up to his head "Siss boom ba" he said,

"Siss boom ba" Ed McMahon repeated.

Johnny tears open the envelope and reads "The sound an exploding sheep makes."

Classic Carson all the way. I bet the angels in heaven played "The Tonight Show" theme when he walked through the pearly gates. I agree with Samuel. The gates open and Saint Peter announces "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!"

Sleep well Mr. Carson. You will forever be in our hearts.

"I know heaven must be a brighter place, for now they are blessed with Johnny's face."
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
My favorite Carnac bit:

"And the answer is . . . E.T., Star Wars, a first baseman's glove, an outfielder's glove, and Dolly Parton."

"And the question is . . . Name two big hits, two big mitts and . . . uh . . . er . . . a country singer!"

I've always loved "handgrenade jokes" (you have to think about it a second before you get it) like that.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
He really introduced a lot of today's comedians into our everyday vocab. Harry Anderson was one of them.

Ellen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » R.I.P. Johnny Carson (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL