The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pickpocket on the street? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
There is of course the possibility that a spectator could throw an L7 in their back reaching for a classic force. A sexual harassment lawsuit awaits anyone wanting the spectator to pull a signed card out of his pocket. We are admittedly lying to the public for a living--risk is an intractible feature of this.

If I were some litigation-crazy spectator, I would have my eye on that darling ring-flite light years before I would assail the theatrical pickpocket.

14 karats. In the punchbowl. Plaintiff 10, Magician 0.

Ron
DVS
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of DVS
I agree you shouldn't just go around stealing from people. The wallet steal I think should never be done on the streets but the watch steal if it involves interaction is okay. Smile
DeadRinger
View Profile
New user
long island
55 Posts

Profile of DeadRinger
i think laypeople see a watch steal as part of the act if you are professional.. also if youre working in a patrolled environment, let the police officers know that you do a watch steal as part of your act, in advance
*POOF*
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Whit is 100% correct here. I never use anything that I do not own and never touch anyone, nor place items "on them" In the odd case that it is a bill effect I supply several, then give the opportunity to trade for one of their's, if they decide to do so.
Even to the extent that my new table has tray handles on each side so ropes are tied to those and not held by spectators. The only time they have the chance to touch any props is an english Penny hand out for the ones that have not seen one. Even My C&R rope scissors have rounded points.(and they dont touch those either)

Bro David, I know you are also right! It will go wrong, and you better do your damage control up front, by taking away those known risks.

Taking a watch or wallet just because I have the skill and think it adds to the show, never.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
On the other hand, if the hats aren't coming in...you have a skill to fall back on...Smile

j/k, of course...
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
DVS and DeadRinger:

Watch steals always involve some interaction with the spectator. And most people do not consider street performers "professionals." I worked for many years on the street, and many more years in other environments.

I have done the watch steal and other pickpocketing on stage or in a restaurant situation or walk around at a corporate event, but never on the street. Even in these "safe" situations, over the years I have run into some decidedly difficult situations.

I have paid (overpaid) several times for broken watch bands from the watch steal, and once for a lost diamond from ring-flite. I have gotten in arguments with drunks and jerks over missing money from their wallets, watches that "stopped" working after I touched them, and have been accused of stealing by a woman I to whom I never even came close physically---as discussed in an earlier post.

I am not overly prone to these type of situations by personality, as anyone who has seen me work will testify. My handling of spectators is always gentle and polite. But over thirty years, these things crop up from time to time.

Luckily, they were all during my performance at safe venues where I had the support and backing of the owners, clients, or authorities. A bad situation on the street can put you in jail. I am certain that the judge and jury will look at you as some kind of low-life street hustler rather than a "professional."

Taking risks is a part of life, and a big part of performing. But they should be calculated risks. Only a fool would risk severe consequences for something that he needn't do.

If these many things have happened to me over the years, I can give you more stories from my even more experienced friends-- Brian Gillis, Jason Randle, Ricki Dunn, Chappy Brazil, and many others have all had stories along these lines.

So if it has happened so often, it probably will happen to you eventually. I just think you should be prepared--to tell your side of the story to the judge. A word to the wise.
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pickpocket on the street? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL