We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who thought of this one?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I was looking at a list of phobias (most of which have rediculous names anyway) when I discovered that the fear of long words is, get this.......... Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

WHAT?! "Yes, I'm terribly sorry, but I suffer from Hipppo.....hippopotoAHHHHHHH!!!!!"
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
What do they call the fear of going to a show but forgetting your pants?
Or the fear of being surrounded by howja-doits?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I would have a fear of long words just by trying to say that one!!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Well, part of that makes sense "sesquipedalion" mean unnecessarily long...or properly translated from latin it means 150 feet (literally feet..like the thing at the end of your leg). I am guessing that "Hippopotomonstro" is just a further play at the length and size of the word.

On a similar note to poke fun at how long disease names were getting; when a lung disease was discovered those who discovered it decided to name it "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis." (Yes, I do have that committed to memory)

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
That name makes sense though. Pneu meaning "to breath" as in Pneumonia, which is also a lung disease, mono meaning one, ultramicroscopic (self explanatory) silico from silicon, which is what is found in volcanos (which leads us to the next part) coni meaning "combining form denoting a relationship to dust" (specifically silocon dust associated with volcanos) and osis meaning "condition" SO...

Pneu-mono-ultramicroscopic-silico-volcano-coni-osis is the "condition" whereby one inhales very small silicon dust particles from volcanoes. (It also happens to be the longest word in the english dictionary, and anyone with Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is sure to be absolutely terrified by it. (Not the disease, but the word). Imagine if you have both of those conditions.
"I'm sorry, I'm very sick."
"What do you have?"
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
(Although it would probably be broken up into shorter words..)
"AHH HH HH HHH HH HH HHH HH HH HHH!"

My guess as to why Hippopotomonstro is added, it's just a long word. However, you'd think that they'd make it Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosissesquippedaliophobia. Now THAT would be funny!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
...Or if you have a very serious case of the lung disease, it could be Hippopotomonstropneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. Pneumono...osis is a long word that make sense, like "antidisestablismentarianism." At first glance 'anti" and "dis" seem to counteract each other, but infact the use of both makes sense since it is defined as the "opposition to the withdrawl of state support from an established church." (once again, I don't know why, but I committed that to memory)...Now, who will be the first to try combining all of them? The very nature of Englinsh allows the individual user to basiscally create new words at will so anything you come up with can be considered a word, but it may have to settle for being tagged "slang." That is, of course, until you can get it into wider circulation.

Nick Fox

FoxIllusions.com
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I'd put money on it that every one of these posts has involed a bit of copy and pasting.
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 00:16, NFox wrote:
The very nature of Englinsh allows the individual user to basiscally create new words at will so anything you come up with can be considered a word...
Nick Fox

You mean the nature of English to borrow from almost every other language...

Quote:
On 2005-01-26 01:42, GypsyPirate wrote:
I'd put money on it that every one of these posts has involed a bit of copy and pasting.

Although I do already know much about pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (because people do not believe it is really a word unless I explain it to them) I think that you'd still win that bet.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I will swear on whatever you want...all of my posts have been from memory. I have an incredible memory for the inane. I memorized Antidisestablishmentarianism and it's definition on a whim a long time ago, when I had heard that it was the longest word in the english language. I figured it could make an interesting point of conversation some day (It seems I was right in a way). Then I read of the existance of pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (Which Microsoft Word wrongly claims is incorrect). Now that I knew of a longer word, I had to commit it to memory as well. It is actually quite easy as all of the basal portions of the word are simple. So although I cannot not vouch for others, my posts, spellings, and definistions all came from my noggin.

Nick Fox

PS: I also make sure to proofread, I found a mispelling earlier on in this post but corrected it.

FoxIllusions.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
That's wonderful NFox, but I really don't think you realize who you are talking to... In 8th grade I memorized the first 50 digits of pi, just for fun. (I still know them to 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693994179...etc. Now, I really did type that all from memory, however I doubt many people would truely believe that because there's no way to prove it. One of my hobbies is actually knowing obscure facts that most people don't know.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Wow, 50...I only ever memorized out to 11 (ten decimal places). I beleive you that that is all from memory, I have a similar mind in the sense that I love to memorize and recall obscure facts...much to the chagrin of my friends. I must say though...50 digits, I am impressed!

Nick Fox

FoxIllusions.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
The record is 2000. I have quite a ways to go still....
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 03:16, NFox wrote:

On a similar note to poke fun at how long disease names were getting; when a lung disease was discovered those who discovered it decided to name it "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis." (Yes, I do have that committed to memory)

Nick Fox

Actually "they" did not "decide" on that name. The name describes the condition. The condition is caused by inhaling microsopic particles of volcanic dust containing silica.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Don't forget Hydropobia (no, not the fear of water)
It's also known as Rabies.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Jordini,

The pi record is way more than 2000. Here is the list.

Yours,

Paul
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
And, although he modestly demurred from mentioning it, Dr. Wilson is himself on that list, at #26 in the world (#8 in the USA).
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2133 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Jordini remember the next two and you could be ranked 44th!

Matt
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Unless I am quite mistaken Hydrophobia later known as rabies was referring to an infected animals reluctance to go near water, as I have read the animals were thought to be afraid of it when in fact they rather had no desire for drinking at all (a symptom). So hydrophobia meant just that:"fear of water"
There is much to enjoy with the fringe knowledge talked about here. I think it's fun at any rate to know words and facts that most people find unecessary. Most people are boring.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A came across a hundred letter word for an ornament on the arm of a chair at one point.

And let's leave the fun about the Church of England and the disestablishmentarianists alone for now. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Quote:
On 2005-01-24 21:48, Patrick Differ wrote:
What do they call the fear of going to a show but forgetting your pants?

As every Greek speaker knows, that's "Theatropsachnopantaloniaphobia."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Who thought of this one?! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL