The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Phil by Trevor Duffy and Phil Goldstein (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Eric:

I suggest getting the "blank" Phil deck instead of the other two (mens names or womens names). The blank deck allows you to use whatever names you wish, but more importantly, you write the names with a Sharpie. I think this makes the whole thing look less like a magic store trick. It just looks like you wrote a bunch of names on the back of all the cards.

Either way, it is a very good trick.

Ron
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Thanks Ron for the advice.....
but I was wondering if a blank deck might suggest to the spectators of possibility of gaff cards like DF or DB when I perform other tricks....

and when yuo mention the blank deck, do you get a blank design on the back (like a normal gaff blank deck)or does it come with a design on the back but no names?

hmm..... I would really like to get phil plus for that extra kicker in the end....
cause if I am not mistaken, the blank deck does not come with the instructions for the klicker in the end.....

thanks
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
What kicker ending does Phil Plus have??
exohordon
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of exohordon
U think of a card and the spectator names the card
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Which dealer has Phil Plus please?
exohordon
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of exohordon
Hocus pocus
murphys
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Magicwarehouse
magicproshop
zmagicleez
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of zmagicleez
Alakazam.co.uk
It's a small world... but you wouldn't want to hoover it.
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Phil plus arrived and I must it is a great trick....
very nice and very clean....
absolutely no R&S, no double face, no double backs.... just some super magic here...

actually I kinda like the back design on the cards... wondering if cards like those used in phil plus are available for sale?

actually it bears some similarity to one of the effects I bought some time ago..... Jonh Bannon's Detour De Force is somewhat similar to this in concept but different patter....

I dun know which effects came out first.....

but I find that I like the effect phil plus more than Detour De Force ......
in terms of the patter......

only thing is that the names appear printed and suggest it is a trick deck....
would love to get one where I can write the names myself and with a design on the back, but not with a blank back...
cause I dun really like the spectators think that it might be a trick deck....

any idea where to purchase a deck like phil plus, with designs on the back, but the names not written?
exohordon
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of exohordon
Erictan PM me for an idea.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I hope it's a mix of women's and men's names coz our audience invaribly comes in both genders right? Unless of course if your performing in a bachelor party.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1608 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
The Phil deck is only men's names but you can purchase a blank Phil deck and make it any way you want.

Ron
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Thanks Ron. I just ordered the Phil Plus! by Trevor Duffy/Phil Goldstein. I suppose I can make it work by just calling out the male spec. in the audience to participate in this effect..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
My Phil deck (I'm on my third) is a mix of both genders. It's such an uncomplicated and direct effect with a ending so far removed from the spectators expectations it always gets a great response - even from those who claim not to like card magic. A must have effect that you will keep performing!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2006-03-10 10:57, evolve629 wrote:
Thanks Ron. I just ordered the Phil Plus! by Trevor Duffy/Phil Goldstein. I suppose I can make it work by just calling out the male spec. in the audience to participate in this effect..

I think you're misunderstanding the effect. The names on the back of the deck have nothing to do with the gender of the person you're performing for.
MagicDog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
174 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
Get phil plus, I have been using it in my walk around and in my stand up shows for a while now. It is great and people get that look on their face that says, how did he do that.
Make Everyday Magical
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 03:06, eryanic wrote:
Hey there,
Can anyone give a review of this trick???
The description says :

- Not Rough and Smooth!
- Only One Deck Is Used!
- Instantly Reset!
- No Force of Any Kind!
- No Sleight of Hand!
- Any Card Can Be Named!

I assume no sticky stuff as well??

I think the second point in the description is a little misleading..

Syd
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On 2005-02-08 20:32, erictan8888 wrote:

...actually I kinda like the back design on the cards... wondering if cards like those used in phil plus are available for sale?

any idea where to purchase a deck like phil plus, with designs on the back, but the names not written?

The Blank Phil deck doesn't come with names written on them, but if you like the deck, I think you can get them here:
http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/Cards.html

Just scroll down about half way (right after the Holye deck). The cards are made by Protea in South Africa.

Regards, Steve
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I know this is an old thread, but I have had the original Phil deck for about a year now and it always gets great reactions.
The reason why I'm posting is because I am seeing a friend tonight that I haven't seen for some time and his name is - you guessed it - Phil!

I imagine this will have a stronger effect on him than others (and it's pretty strong anyway). Has anyone else actually done this effect for someone called Phil?
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
HI Freddie,

I have and it was great.

I changed it to a more psychological type effect though. Essentially I had him name a card from the face up pack and I put it down on the table (face up). I then went into a spiel about fate, free choice, blah blah blah and how essentially there was a "card linked to everybody". I then gave him a chance to change his mind which he didn't and showed him all the different names on the back of the pack. Pocketed the pack and then turned his card over...to say he was speechless was an understatement.

Incidentally for someone named Phil the pre-printed name on the back is actually a much bigger impact than a Sharpie scrawl..it just seems so pre-ordained.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Phil by Trevor Duffy and Phil Goldstein (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL