The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6156 Posts

Profile of magicfish
This isn't meant to be a greatest of all time thread, but I just felt in the mood to mention who I feel after 20 years of studying the art of magic is the most wonderful coin handler I've ever seen. That man is Slydini. I cannot stress enough to young magicians the importance of studying Slydini's work.
Slydini was a master magician in every sense of the word.
iarwain
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of iarwain
I've heard a lot about Slydini and seen a lot of his works in print but does there exist any video of him performing anywhere? I've wondered this a long time but I've never been able to find any.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
If you look hard enough, there are videos floating around from Slydini's 3 (I think) appearances on the Dick Cavet show as well as a T.V. special hosted by Fred Kaps and then there was one more T.V. special hosted by Dick Cavet. Also there was an 8mm film of him that was taped by (again I think) Ken Brookes.

Mike
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 05:25, mike gallo wrote:
Also there was an 8mm film of him that was taped by (again I think) Ken Brookes.

Mike
If I'm not mistaken, the mentioned 8mm movie(s) was/were taped by Lewis Ganson.

The *publisher* was Harry Stanley.

To the best of my knowledge, Ken Brooke *just* was also appearing on those movies, eg. some tapes where he was performing were published too.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the mentioned 8mm movie(s) was/were taped by Lewis Ganson.

Werner, you are most likely right. As I said, I only thought. All I know is some cool guy that hangs out on the Café sent it to me Smile !!!

Mike
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Yea, some people have all the luck. Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
You can find a footage of Slydini himself performing his Slydini Scarves in Tony Clark's Sly Scarves DVD
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
Tony Slydini was a true master in every way.

I was lucky to have him as one of my teachers in the late 1960's.

The text book we used was his Slydini Encores.

Get this book and learn Slydini's One Coin Routine, Wrong Way Coins, and Unpredictable Coins.

Only by practicing these routines can you feel his true genius.

They are workers. I still do them today, 38 years later! That defines a classic.
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Cellini mentioned in his lecture that he has a small pile of 8mm footage of Slydini that he plans on releasing on one of his upcoming DVD's.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I have a vhs tape (extremely poor copy of a copy of a copy) of one of his DC show appearances. He is one class act. It reminds me of a time when there were a lot more 'public gentlemen' around.

Craig
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The mention of "Wrong Way Coins" brings back the memory of Slydini NAILING me badly with that... then he graciously taught this to me and now I NAIL with it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Quote:
..the text we used was Slydini Encores.

Which is now available on cd-rom!!!
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Aiea, Hawaii
244 Posts

Profile of BWind
Speaking of Slydini's Silk Knots, I witnessed a guy named Allen Okawa perform the effect at a lecture using those "tall cylindrical glass tumblers"; It was a thing of beauty, almost verbatim, right out of the Fulves Slydini Book; Did he teach it, no;
BWind
iarwain
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of iarwain
Bah, is everything for sale? I don't feel much like paying for a poor VHS copy of Slydini performing on Cavett. They should stick a clip or two on the internet somewhere for free on one of his biographical sites.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
All you Slydini fans might like this link http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;start=0
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Iarwin...

Where can you buy a poor VHS copy of Slydini performing on Cavett?

~Craig
iarwain
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of iarwain
Quote:
Iarwin...
Where can you buy a poor VHS copy of Slydini performing on Cavett?

Are you looking for one? You said you had a poor copy of a poor copy.
I Googled it and what came up was some online auction sites and some VCDs. These types of things are generally poor quality so I just assumed. Not sure if you can still get any of these things now.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

I had no idea people are actually selling these. I'm not looking for them.

I just wish I had seen him perform live. I got mine from Mark Bellinger who loaned me a tape of the DC show 10ish years ago and I copied it, and judging by the quality of the tape it seems he did the same... thus the copy of a copy of a copy.

~Craig
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1728 Posts

Profile of wally
I have got the Bill Malone DVD on Sly Silks, but want to learn the Tony Clark Travelling Knot from 2 glasses. Don't say I have to buy another dvd to learn this.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
On Tony Clarks Timing Is Everything DVD, there is footage of Slydini performing paper balls in the hat, using a cardboard box. It also has Tony's renditions of all of Slydinis classic effects. But don't just stop at buying the video, which can be found here:
http://allmagic.com/spin/spins/clarkslydini.html

Also pick up the 2 volume magic of Slydini set by Lewis Ganson and Annotated Slydini.....
dennymagic.com

both are worth while, and worth every penny. The lessons in misdirection taught in the paper balls over the head are priceless..but the book runs about 60 bones......lol

:rabbitfromhat:
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL