The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Paul

Fascinating information about Slydini. I can only contribute that I have accumulated as many documents about him that I can find, in my case mostly books and video clips, only commercially published things. Assimilating
the material is very challenging of course, but I did manage to grasp some of it, and when I re-read it every now and then I grasp additional details.

About the different sentence lenghts he used, may I ask you, would it be that each length made it possible to maintain adequate audience interest to cover specific moves ? Maybe the Imp Pass required one type of sentence length, while a given lapping move might require another ?

Best regards,
Daniel
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
I'm not sure if this is connected with the length of Slydini's sentences, but I have heard that relazation and tension were very important, and that Slydini did the moves while relaxed and used tension to focus attention when there was nothing to see. I think his short sentences like "Watch" are a way of creating tension and directing attention.

Gene
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Slydini was a magician who proved the power of scripting (words, body movements, etc). Why many other magicians don't focus on doing the same is beyond me.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
It would be nice to do a website with performance-only video of Tony. I would give up the footage I have, if someone could do the site. It would be a fitting memorial to the man - one of the geniuses of close-up magic, and one that he deserves. More importantly, I think, it would benefit SO many modern magicians, to see a master do the material you can only read now. It is impossible to visualize Tony's work from the written word. You really have to see it to fully appreciate it.

I hope to goodness that some computer/internet savy person takes Mr Chosse up on this generous offer sometime...
tjo'
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 17:43, gene plampin wrote:
I'm not sure if this is connected with the length of Slydini's sentences, but I have heard that relazation and tension were very important, and that Slydini did the moves while relaxed and used tension to focus attention when there was nothing to see. I think his short sentences like "Watch" are a way of creating tension and directing attention.

Gene

You are precisely correct. When Slydini said, for instance "This coin is going to disapear!" His eyes and facial expression would brighten, and his body language would lean slightly toward the spectator. Then there would be a moment of total relaxation while the la***g move occured. (During this time frame, the face eyes and body would totally relax for a brief moment while the hand contacted the edge of the table).

Then he would brighten again as he said "Watch!" This way, he totally controlled the audiences attention and focus. It was pschologically perfect, and it fooled you even if you knew what he was doing! The misdirection was impossible to resist!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Paul,

COuld you tell us more about how Slydini used the length of his sentences in the context of direction / misdirection ?

listening VERY closely
Daniel
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 18:09, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
Quote:
It would be nice to do a website with performance-only video of Tony. I would give up the footage I have, if someone could do the site. It would be a fitting memorial to the man - one of the geniuses of close-up magic, and one that he deserves. More importantly, I think, it would benefit SO many modern magicians, to see a master do the material you can only read now. It is impossible to visualize Tony's work from the written word. You really have to see it to fully appreciate it.

I hope to goodness that some computer/internet savy person takes Mr Chosse up on this generous offer sometime...

Yes, someone please do. This would be wonderful. Slydini is one of the few magicians that I haven't seen that I desperately want to see perform. From what I've heard and read and the few resourses that I own that have some of his material, it's clear this was one of the special guys.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Though I never had the priveledge of taking lessons directly from Slydini, I am an absolute devotee of his work. I first encountered him at a Tannen's Jubilee in the early '70s, and I was hooked.
In the fall of 1974 I had my Bar Mitzvah. As a surprise gift, my father hired Slydini to perform! I was in heaven. Back then, my father was involved in a company which was making its first tentative steps into the video age. We had a guy with a huge camera shoot most of the ceremony and reception on 1/2 inch, reel-to-reel video tape. Included in the shoot was Slydini's performance. He did most of his classic repertoire, including his sponge balls, coins thru the table, helicopter card, cigarettes, etc. Then he stood up on the table and did his classic rope routine, and he concluded with the flight of the paper balls.
A few weeks later my family watched the tapes, and then the reels were stored in the basement.
Over the decades the video was degraded by moisture. We tried to transfer it onto VHS to no avail. Finally, a few months ago, we found someone who could salvage whatever was salvagable and put it on DVD. It worked!
Unfortunately, the cameraman didn't know what he was doing, was a bit far away from the action, and Slydini wasn't miked for sound. There are priceless snipets, though, and both the rope and flight of the paperballs routines came out pretty well. The first time I played the DVD, and heard Slydini utter his famous "you know why you don't see? You don't watch! You gotta watch!!" I almost cried. It brought it all back.
Anyway, I got the new "As I Recall" DVDs and I've been thinking a lot about Slydini, so .........
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Larry, that's fantastic you have that.

I have been watching the new DVDs and find them to be wonderful.
The interview with the one magician who's wife stayed up all night
making Tony do more and more was priceless.

Usually the magic does not come thru so much without an audience on a DVD.
I cannot tell you how many coin videos I've slept thru. Not this one.
This is the first DVD where I think an audience might just get in the way.

I'll be working on these routines for sure.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
There's a video of Slydini doing Coins Through Table for the Dick Cavett Show on http://www.MagicVideoArchives.com Disc #41
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WOW WHAT A SITE... how does he do it?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
I have web design skills and I'm up for building it if you want.

Boydy
Parcifal
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Parcifal
Have a look at http://www.dovemagic.com/Videos and look for tape/DVD 323.
Or easier,type Slydini in your browsers searchoption (CTRL+B) when entering the site.Lots of Slydini tapes/DVDs available there,if he still sells them.
DVD 323 is a great capture of one of the Dick Cavett shows where he does a lot of his work,se for yourself a dscription is at that site.
Here is a snipping of contents:

TAPE 323 Betamax Tape Quality = Very Good. MCMW. This tape has been transferred to DVD.

Slydini ON DICK CAVETT 1978
cig prods,
5.40 silver dollars - coins thru table
one coin routine
11.25 Slydini knots
17.10 c/r rope
23.38 t/r newspaper

Slydini ON DICK CAVETT

26.00 sympathic silks
30.50 knots
coins
paper balls in hat ( box )
paper balls over the head
51.26 END
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Why not just buy the new Slydini DVD set and you'll have everything you need.
Check your local shop to see if they are in stock.
Parcifal
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Parcifal
You would be surprised how much there is on these DVDs that is not
on the 2 DVD set, not to mention the great close-up camerawork!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Yes, I can see that. great.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Cavett would not let us use his material...he says he loves magic and he loved Slydini but he wont let anyone see them...oh well....
koz
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
And I odnt know how anyone can legally sell dvd's with the cavett material on them because cavett never liscensed anyone
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-12 18:20, tedb wrote:
Cavett would not let us use his material...he says he loves magic and he loved Slydini but he wont let anyone see them...oh well....
koz

I wonder why someone would do this? Ego? A sense of Control? I don't get it.
Parcifal
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Parcifal
Dick Cavett is 69 years old by now and it might not even be him owning the rights to his show?He was employed by ABC from 1969 to 1974 (1975?)to run the Dick Cavett show.Though his shows later continued by CBS 1975,by PBS(Public Televison) 1977–82 by USA 1985–86 again by ABC 1986–87, by CNBC 1989.That 1978 capture might be owned by PBS?But Slydini appeared on various of Cavetts programs,so a couple of networks might have diff. captures,it's a jungle.
Also an explanation why he didn't make the Slydini captures available to the producer of this 2 DVD set might be here: Cavett is manic-depressive, a condition he's dealt with since his first major depression in 1959. He started and lost a nationally syndicated radio show in 1996 in just two weeks, when depression kicked in and he simply stopped showing up. He's on antidepressants, and went through electroshock therapy in 1992.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL