The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So .. how many of you are musicians too? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, and now that I am deaf I can kind of understand how Beethoven could have done that. I'm not saying I can, but I can now understand how.

I get music in my head quite often. A Rhythm or a beat. Sometimes it's annoying because it'll stick in my head for a while. We all get a song stuck in our heads from time to time but for me it's kind of strange. I can never tell if the music I can't get out of my mind is something I've heard before or something I'm coming up with.

So I think this is the kind of thing Beethoven did but he had the ability to write it down and put to together. He obtained this skill before he went deaf. I honestly believe that if he hadn't learned how to write music he wouldn't be known for it today. Because he wouldn't have known how to express it. I'm sure it helped that he was a genius too..Smile

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Carlos Lacuna
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Carlos Lacuna
There's genius in all of us Jaxon, we just have to know where to find it...

I played piano for a very long time, then gave it up about a decade ago. Now, I'm starting jazz piano, and I'm loving it.
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
I'm a classically trained musician with a degree in music. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to make a living at it, so I work as a writer at an English school in Mexico City by day, and play music/do magic at night and weekends. I tell people I'm a "magusician" when they ask me what I do (that's either a magician who also plays music, or a musician who does magic, depending on what my last gig was).

For the record, I play bassoon, flute, saxophone, guitar and piano. These days, most of my music time is spent on guitar (singing/songwriting/ragtime fingerpicking), and occasionally on piano.

It's interesting that you mention the correlation between magic and music: I think there must be something about the brains of people who do either one that requires them to be doing something with their hands. If I don't have a deck of cards or an instrument in my hands most of the day, I get really anxious and unhappy (my wife thinks this is a sign of some neurological condition, but then she's the one who has to put up with me while she's trying to watch TV).
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
Wow...who would think it, but there are a lot of banjo pickers on this board! What is it about magic and banjo? I play the five string banjo, along with Dobro and a bit of guitar. I play semi-professionally and amuse my cohorts with magic.
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
Steve Martin plays the Banjo and did magic, too. Hmmm.

I've played guitar for the last 22 years - mostly fingerstyle a la John Renbourne, Davey Graham, and Nick Drake. Funny in light of how I used to play electric rhythm guitar for a crappy rock band.

I'd like to learn how to play the penny whistle or fife and use it as a wand but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it!
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
pezgod
View Profile
New user
Wickliffe,OH
93 Posts

Profile of pezgod
Used to play the Violin, Clarinet. as soon as I get some free time (when I graduate from college) I'm going to get a guitar and start to learn that!
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
I play jazz and blues saxophone (hence the screen name).

On my church music team, I play saxophone, flute, clarinet, mandolin, jew's harp, and bass (though not all at once). Basically, I'll play whatever the song seems to need.

In high school, I played bassoon.

I've thought about the "musical magic" idea (though with a recorder or native american flute rather than a pennywhistle) before, but haven't figured out how to make it properly magic. Since you need both hands to play most musical instruments, and you need hands to do most magic, the two activities seem (unfortunately) incompatible. Thematically, however, a "magical flute from an Indian medicine man" has great potential!

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I play Drums, Guitar, Bass, piano and the juice harp.
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
Use the flute, recorder, fife, or penny whistle before a busking act to draw attention.

With a stage or parlor act, I suppose you could do a trill on the flute to make the magic happen.

Dude, think of Krishna and the flute, Krishna and the flute. yeah.

hehehe

:goof: <--- Reminds me of "The Exorcist" for some reason. . . .
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I used to sing in both jazz and concert choirs as a baritone. I used to play the tenor sax. These days I'm a professional DJ spinning hiphop, rnb and reggae. And YES, I use turntables! Smile
Logic Defied
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So .. how many of you are musicians too? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL