The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Gypsy thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pure Effect 2
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
60 Posts

Profile of Pure Effect 2
Hi where can I find gypsy tread and hindu thread thanx
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Is it fine?
Great!!!

Well, you can't 'find' it..you have to spend your time in learning it well!!!!
You're UK based, so why not ask Ali Bongo or Pat Conway , just to name 2 of the well known UK-performers of it.

Why not use the search function of this forum?

Type Gypsy thread and also Hindu thread and you'll get lots of information.

There is a package available from the Camirand Academy of Magic/earlier Gary Ouellet with a video and a routine.
Lonnie Chevrie has a great version on the first vol. of his DVDs using dental floss and he explains a very deceptive and smooth handling..so what's your problem?..do you really want ppl explaining it all over and over again, just because you don't dare to do a simple search?

There is no reason for explaining the same stuff over and over again..the search function is GREAT and one can find almost anything has already been talked about....there is nothing new under the sun..
Ssearch and you will find!

Also, do the same search on the Genii Forum, also there is a lot of talk about the Gypsy thread and I understand why..it is an all time classic worth to be handled with respect and that means one has to study it well and not just read a description and then go out and do it (badly)..
To do it well is like doing a work of art..compare it with the paintings of Michelangelo Smile
It took me 40 years to get it right, but OTOH, I'm a slow learner Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Pure Effect 2
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
60 Posts

Profile of Pure Effect 2
Thanks you've been a great help
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-01-29 04:32, Pure Effect 2 wrote:
Thanks you've been a great help
That's Ok.. Smile

Now it's your turn to make the best out of one of the greatest pieces of close-up/parlour and stagemagic!

A tiny tip..get the little booklet of the teach-in series written by Lewis Ganson, enitled:

THE HINDU THREAD TRICK
often refered to as
THE GYPSY THREAD

and study it well..

NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
This trick neaded very good sleight of hand magic.
I saw different performancees of it, and I like David Blaines.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Let me comment shortly re this...but before -as all this is mentioned under Street Magic- Cellini has a very fine and very different handling of what he calls *gypsy-thread* for the street.

It's on one of his DVDs.

It is a very fine and very deceptive handling, that plays big and is highly suitable for the street, as well as the handling is entirely different, nevertheless very very clever and deceptive.

Re the remark:
*This trick neaded very good sleight of hand magic.*

TBH, it is not at all difficult to do and doesn't need special gifts re sleight of hand..in my own mind I call it a selfworking 'trick'..

BUT, what it needs is knowledge and accuracy in 'preparation', a good presentation and a fine handlingtechnic, as well as a good clean-up when finished.
Lonnie Chevri has a very fine clean-up, actually matching the one I used in later years.
Picking up the spool and getting rid of what's to be getting rid of.
IMHO it is 'the best' way to do a clean-up.

I recall, Michael Skinner, who also did the Hindu-thread, actually did a clean up in an entirely diff. way.
He could do it at the places he worked, but the one used by Lonnie Chevri is a REAL clean-up and can't be toppet in way of being practical and easy to do.

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
You can get it from malcolm at http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
The version Blaine did is called dragon thread, Malcom does indeed stock it, but when I inquired about it he refused to sell it to me and taught me gypsy thread instead. Absolutley fantastic, I use it all the time to great effect , and with a twist I picked up from scott penrose , using flash string instead you have the cleanest flash finish! try it !
Keep passing the open windows!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-01-31 20:11, wol wrote:
The version Blaine did is called dragon thread, ...

I'm not surprised Smile
Somehow he obviously hasn't the taste to step in the foodsteps of both Dough Henning and Dvaid Copperfield...

Dragon-Thread = illogical handling !

cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Wat's the difference of the gypsy thread from the other threads????
by the way wats the elastic thread??

thank you...
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
".... and with a twist I picked up from scott penrose , using flash string instead you have the cleanest flash finish! try it !" I'm not sure who came up with this tip but Henry Evans does market a trick called Torn and Restored Flash Thread. Here is one link to it:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/closeup12.html#lp3233

It does have a clean finish. One suggestion: I would use scissors to cut the thread as you're doing the trick should you choose to give away the thread to someone in the audience. Those who have or get it will know why I am making this suggestion.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Ho no no no,

David Blaine definitely did not do Dragon Thread. It was just a good old fashioned Gypsy/Hindu Thread routine. Maybe you thought it was Dragon Thread because he performed it for Asian men...
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
jayp
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of jayp
Yeah Blaine just did Gypsy thread from the looks of it, also people say that he did a really bad presentation of it, but if they watched it they would have realised he couldn't talk or anything because the people he was performing it to, wouldnt have understood what he was saying, at this point on the special he was showing that magic breaks the barrier of different languages, which it proved as they applauded.
accolombel
View Profile
New user
seattle
82 Posts

Profile of accolombel
You can also find it in Tarbel, I don't remeber which vol.

Craig
craig colombel
jayp
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of jayp
Does anyone know the name of it in Tarbell?
accolombel
View Profile
New user
seattle
82 Posts

Profile of accolombel
I looked it up in my copies of Tarbell. It is in Vol 7, Lesson 87 and is called "Milton Tropp's "Impromptu" broken and restored thread."

Craig
craig colombel
jayp
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of jayp
Thanks
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Tommy Wonder also does a fantastic version of the Gypsy Thread. It's on his DVD set. Nice storyline that goes with it.
Bill
Parcifal
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Parcifal
Quote:
On 2006-01-03 13:05, bwarren3 wrote:
Tommy Wonder also does a fantastic version of the Gypsy Thread. It's on his DVD set. Nice storyline that goes with it.
Bill
Anything Tommy Wonder does is outstanding!That is no news.News however is that Tommy Wonder on any DVD ever did perform the gypsy thread.It is easy to say so!It is a bit more difficult to point to on which DVD it is.Certainly NOT on any of the set from L&L.Your turn to let us know where it can be watched.
Your only out from giving wrong and misleading information here is to point to Daryls fooler doolers, because Daryl there does perform one version, Tommy Wonder never did on a DVD.Right?
Giving wrong and misleading information can happend to anybody,but it always should get put right and corrected!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Gypsy thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL