The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Exploiting Irish 8s (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
What the heck! With everything else I've thrown up here lately I might as well put this one up too. With the addition of Pakastini Irish 8s on the market increasing the opportunity to use them in performances I thought I'd remind the community how to get out of ungaffed 8s. Here you go:

http://www.mighellsillusions.com/irish8s.htm

Have fun!

Clyde
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Cool; I haven't experimented with rapping, maybe it's time I started.

Thanks for all these texts, great stuff!
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Nice stuff Clyde, thanks ! By the way, Clyde...how is the quality of the Pakistani Darby repo cuffs on a scale of 1 to 10, 5 being average ?

~Rick~
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Rick,

I think the darby repros are good if you want them "as is". As stated, modifying them is difficult since the bottom plates aren't "dimmpled" in anymore. The ones I used to handle where better than many of the repros but not as tight in tolerances as the real Hiatts. Just my opinion..... that and well, you know- Smile

Clyde
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Clyde. Slow Down. You will have a Hit put out on your head by all handcuff manufactureres. LOL.

Thanks man. I am creating my own personal little manuel with all your advice. I hope you don't mind. I will call it the "Clyde Cuff Manuel" LOL.

Thank you

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Hehehe slow down is right, Wolf. I've been testing too many cuffs and the ability to rap them open that my wrists are sore and swollen. I already have nerve damange in both hands due to tight cuffs.

I had surgery on my hands about 3 months ago and I asked the surgeon if there was anything I could do to prevent further damage. You guessed it- he said, "Stay away from cuffs." I looked around and asked, "Is there another opinion in the house?" Hehehe some folks never learn!

BTW, Wolf, I may borrow that "Clyde Cuff" name.... did you ever watch Rocky and Bullwinkle? hehehe

Clyde
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
No I have not seen it Clyde, but you are welcome to use it. I know the feeling about not listening to the doctors. When I dislocated my shoulder (which was hurt on a place where the arm would maybe not grow again) I was told to stay away from escapes and no contacts sports (Yeah Right). I sed the old joke of, "will I be able to play the violin? Answer :Yes . Oh Good, because I cant play the violin.
The doctor was not impressed.
Wolflock
South Africa
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
949 Posts

Profile of Riley
I own (and use) the set of Hiatt Fig 8's that belonged to David DeVal. He used a
very light spring -- the cuffs would almost open if he sneezed! I replaced this with a heavier spring, but not as heavy as the original.

I would really recommend this ruse if you work a lot with the cuffs and want to avoid injury to your wrists. Forget what Houdini wrote about rapping open ungimmicked cuffs!

I know Ian McColl has an opinion on this . . .

Riley
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
No humor in the medical folks now adays. After my recent surgery I was playing the the beep of the heart monitor. I would relax and show it down, speed it up, slow it down, etc. until it beeped. Needless to say, the overworked nursing staff did not appreciate my talent. Smile Oh well, it was still fun! Smile

Clyde
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Rapping works most of the time its that 5% when you start to sound like a woodpecker that worries me.Riley is correct, David put me onto this ruse donkeys ago and its worth the small effort involved and reduces it down another 4%
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On 2005-01-27 13:48, pastorclyde wrote:
No humor in the medical folks now adays. After my recent surgery I was playing the the beep of the heart monitor. I would relax and show it down, speed it up, slow it down, etc. until it beeped. Needless to say, the overworked nursing staff did not appreciate my talent. Smile Oh well, it was still fun! Smile

Clyde

LOL. I would have loved to have seen their faces. You should do it again one day with a hidden camera. I am not as good with slowing the heart rate down so much but I have used the old trick of placing a tennis ball into the pit of the arm while they are checking heart beat at the wrist before. It was fun watching the doctors facial expressions.
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Lol clyde I could use your talent here. I do know a few who do have a sense of humor. also when they put you in a wheelchair and set the brakes on it. they don't like it when you take it off and wheel yourself around the room.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Exploiting Irish 8s (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL