The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Tips- Not Acceptable (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
serge storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
380 Posts

Profile of serge storms
I always just told the customer the best tip they can give me is to ask for the manager on the way out, and tell the manager how much they enjoyed the magic. The private shows generated from doing live demos (which is what you're really doing in restaurant magic - if you're really there just to make the money from the restaurant you're missing the bigger picture) will more than compensate for any tips you turn down. Plus each time one of the customers does what you asked, finds the mgr and compliments your work, you're reinforcing in that mgrs mind how valuable you are.
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Find a substitute to the tips. Let the customer know that if he/she enjoyed the show, give you a call and book you for a private party.
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of StuBeck
Until I read this form Chirs Kenner's Magic Man Examiner, my attidue on tips where quite different. The following is a few quotes from his column.

I found this from Chirs Kenner's Magic Man Examiner. Issue #1. Back Page.
"Show me a magician who thinks he deserves a tip at every table, adn I'l show you a magician with a BAD ATTITUDE."
"Never have I seen Dan (Dygert, of Illusions staff) borrow money, mention the world "tip", or awkardly "hang around" the table with his hand open and tongue hanging to the floor, waiting for the "reward"..." People like and tip Dan as he is "personalbe and witty". Chris goes on to mention that he (Dan) earned the most money at Illusions.

Granted, Illusions was different as people went specifcally to see magic...but the foundation is there.

"BY treating your audience with respect and the idea that you are there to be their friend, and not just to astound and amaze them. By placing yourself above the crowd, and projecting a "see what I can do" attitude will get you nowhere."
MAGIC MAN
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
I had a summer at Black Angus where I worked exclusively for tips. I would never take this type of gig again. I did not hustle tips, but did accept them greatfully. Since I was not aggressive, I did not make much more than $20 per hour most nights. Even with a more upscale clientele, I would not work just for tips. On the other hand, I have worked for good pay with an understanding that I would refer tips to the wait staff. This seems to be the arrangement that suits me best. Even so, when the patron insists, I graciously acceed, then pass the cash on to the lead waiter or staff person to be shared that night.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
I would add to zur's advice above and say that when you receive a tip, kindly return it with the comment that they can, "apply it towards your next party when you can hire me." Alternatively, if they insist, then say, "I will apply it towards your next party when you engage me to entertain." Then ask for their business card or write down their contact information so you can drop them an informational packet. When you contact them, remind them that they have a "credit" of "x" dollars and you are looking forward to entertaining at their next event.

Now on a completely different (and tasteless) note, magicsteve99's posting above reminds me of the Black Angus restaurant here in Houston. Before the letters were painted on the building in the late 1980's, there were some rascals who would constantly be stealing the "g" off of the sign.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I personally NEVER accept tips.. In any setting, its insulting to the host I find. I was doing walkaround at really posh golf course in Ottawa and I got handed a 100$ in front of everyone..(the man wanted to show off to his buddies) and I refused it.. I said, thank you but Mr Melski has taken care of me for today. the best tip you can give me is to invite me to one of your parties in the future to perform for your guests! it works really well..

In a restaurant.. my opinion is tips are for servers.. you want to be on the servers' best side. You don't want them against you.. I say do your magic, don't accept tips. After all, restaurant magic is known for creating more shows..not paying the bills in one night..
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
I like the idea of settin up a hat at the door, or some place set aside. I would suggest somewhere near the exit. This way, anyone you performed for can drop a tip in the recepticle if they want. Or, in the event they tip you at the table, you can just go put it in the recepticle. At the end of the night, split all your tips among the waitors and waitresses. If you can pinpoint which waitors/waitresses had the tables you performed at, that would be a little better.

You could also take the tip and give to the waitor/waitress ASAP. Or, you can politely ask the patron to add that money to the waitor'/waitress' tip. A brief explanation of the difference between your job and their's should suffice. I think the only tip you should take is the fact that you can possibly, and more than likely will, land a show from your work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Tips- Not Acceptable (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL