We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Need your suggestions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tgroenjes
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of tgroenjes
This may belong in the section "Where to put it all...", if it does, I'm sorry. I have a lot of decks of cards that I have gotten over the years, and I went to Walmart and got a Rubbermaid tub thing with drawers in it to hold all of my magic stuff. The thing is, I don't know what deck is what, without opening it up and examining it. I mean, I have a ton of Bike decks, "CardToon", "Rising Card", "Svengalli", etc. and I don't use them all that much, (because I like tricks mostly with a regular deck now) but when I do want to go grab one for some occasion, I don't have a clue what I'm looking at! Any thoughts on how you guys keep your stuff labeled or organized would be greatly appreciated.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Post-It Notes?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2149 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I usually write a 1 or 2 letter code on the bottom of my card box, to the right of the bar code. "I" for invisible deck, "J" for my stacked deck that is set up for Paul Green's Jeopardy routine, "M" for my new Moby deck prop, although there's no doubt what you have when you pick up your card box and it weighs 1.5 pounds. In my case, all I have to do is glance, and I know which deck it is.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Hmm I second the use of post-its cos that's the way I use to mark my gimmick decks

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Tommy Johnson
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Tommy Johnson
I rite on bottom of box with black sharpy
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I keep my gaff/stacked decks in pay envelopes with the name on them. They are piled up on a shelf in a bookcase. I just take what I want, if and when I need it, and dump it in the close-up case and of we go. (punters never see a case - only one deck of cards Smile )
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
All of my gaff decks have a small indentifying mark on them, usually near the bar code on the bottom. I have a small sheet of paper with the coresponding codes written on them, in case I forget which mark means which deck.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
126 Posts

Profile of TheCaffeinator
When necessary, I use Post-It notes to label my decks, as well as my packet trick "wallets." Also, some of the decks were wrapped in paper sleeves when I bought them; for those decks, I still use the sleeves. Post-Its tend to fall off and mysteriously disappear (it's that "magic" thing, I guess), so you might want to consider making some paper sleeves.
tgroenjes
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of tgroenjes
I too have the 'magical' problem with post-it notes. I like the idea of a two letter code on the bottom next to the barcode of the box. I would also need the cheat sheet though, because I would probably forget what exactly each one stood for! Thanks for the great suggestions!

Trevor
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I use a couple of identifying letters on the bottom of the boxes.
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
I usually write a 1 or 2 letter code on the bottom of my card box, to the right of the bar code. "I" for invisible deck, "J" for my stacked deck that is set up for Paul Green's Jeopardy routine, "M" for my new Moby deck prop, although there's no doubt what you have when you pick up your card box and it weighs 1.5 pounds. In my case, all I have to do is glance, and I know which deck it is.

LOL...that is exactly what I always did.
Jeff M. Gray
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City, OK
78 Posts

Profile of Jeff M. Gray
I use the inside of the right flap to write what deck it is. (Or at least, I DID...I don't use gimmicked decks anymore, but they are fun to "play" with.) That way, when you open the card box, you can glance down and be sure you have the right deck. Of course, I guess you were trying to ID the deck WITHOUT opening it. I used to write an "I" for the "invisible deck", etc... INSIDE the barcode area. Very hard to see if you don't know what you're looking for...

As far as organizing, Michael Close, whom I just saw in a lecture, suggests that you place each deck and its components into baggies. This includes a marker if the trick requires one. That way, you know you are set for the effect.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1768 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I, too, use one or two identifying letters on the bottom of the box, usually near the barcode.
tgroenjes
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of tgroenjes
I like the baggie or envelope idea for the smaller packet tricks. I could write right on the outside of them and know what they are. That's a much better idea than what I'm doing now, which is just putting 1 to 2 in a card wallet. I have to sift through the wallets to see what's inside.
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
I place a small letter on the corner of the deck. I.e. S for Svengali, I for invisble, B for Brainwave etc etc etc
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
I've adopted something a friend had shown to me years ago. Cut pieces from a plastic gallon milk jug the width of the deck, and about a half inch taller. Write the name across the top. Slide this plastic I.D. tab into the card case in front of the flap. This converts all your packs into a sort of filing system.
When you've collected all the decks I have over the years...Ooo 'dis helps.

gician
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2005-02-02 13:43, gician wrote:
I've adopted something a friend had shown to me years ago. Cut pieces from a plastic gallon milk jug the width of the deck, and about a half inch taller. Write the name across the top. Slide this plastic I.D. tab into the card case in front of the flap. This converts all your packs into a sort of filing system.
When you've collected all the decks I have over the years...Ooo 'dis helps.

gician

NICE!! Smile

28 gallons of milk on Friday please Mr Milkman! Smile
Aerie24
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aerie24
I use post-it notes, too
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I write a couple of letters on the inside flap so that when you lift it up, you can see it. (i.e. rc, cd, inv, bw, or, let's say I had a 2 of diamonds Svengali, I would put 2d) the problem I have with post-its is that you, obviously have to take them off before a performance, this could prove to be a particular problem doing street. the mark on the bottom is good too, as long as it's not too obvious.
**--snap--**
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I find that post-its sometimes do not have quite enough stickk for my needs, and they get lost. I use the Redi-tags, the little stick on flags you can write on them with marker, they are different colors, and you can peel them off quickly to park them in your case, or inside the card box if need be. I usually do not have so many set decks that I need to do anything other than have a different colored tag on the box, or sticking up form the flap end. the 4 colors on a pack of these things lasts me ages.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Need your suggestions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL