The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Good one liners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magicray80
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Magicray80
Any good one liners as openers. Also I'm having trouble tring to find a few one liner or fill in for cardiographic will I'm drawing thier card. Any ideas....
"And What Not!!!" paisa23 you know what i mean.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Magicry80,
I figure the first thing you say and the first thing you do are VITALLY important, and are largely responsible for introducing & developing your on-stage persona. Therefore, I'm thinking we need to know about your act and your persona so that we can feed you appropriate stuff!

Looking forward to hearing about you!
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
Magicray80
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Magicray80
I do a lot comedy magic for all types of shows. I do mostly kid shows and been working a lot on my adults shows. For my adult show I've been slowly taking out my magic and working more on my stand-up. But the reason for my post is I've been getting a lot of repeat customers and I'm running out of ideas. For both kid shows and adults shows!

Here are a few things I do:

Mc Comicable prediction
Cardiographic
Card in orange
Nesting boxes
Pro Viper 2
Comedy split deck
Comedy rope escape
Rope thru body
Knife thru coat
Paper balls over the head
Ultamite dancing hank
Vanishing bandana

I need HELP!

Ray
"And What Not!!!" paisa23 you know what i mean.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ok I was walking down the street the other day and a guy came up to me and he said "Excuse me but are you a sculptor?" I told the guy I'm not a sculptor but I've been told I'm a great chiseler.
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
I played golf the other day, I hit a beautiful set of balls, I stepped on a rake.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Sleight of Mouth by Harry Allen is a good source for one-liners. Aldo Colombini also has 3 books (booklets?) on the subject. I've not read Aldo's books, but having seen him perform, I would imagine them to be wonderful.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Ilan
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa
194 Posts

Profile of Ilan
I would look at stand-up comedians, change their lines to suit you and your act...

Steven Wright- check him out!
If you can't laugh at yourself, you are obviously not getting the joke
tikiman
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of tikiman
Be you, canned oneliners are well canned and chances are someone else has already opened that can of cheese.

Sit and think a bit I'm sure you can come up with some orriginals
SHOC
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
72 Posts

Profile of SHOC
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 04:52, Ilan wrote:
I would look at stand-up comedians, change their lines to suit you and your act...

Pass on that advice!
David Lees
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of David Lees
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 03:31, Comedy and then the magic wrote:
I played golf the other day, I hit a beautiful set of balls, I stepped on a rake.

Only good ball I hit all day.
I got a hole in one.....the other was black and blue!!!!!!!!
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
For a heckler. "Thanks very much for interrupting me at my climax, I'll try to return the favour one day, but unlike myself I'm sure you will be on your own".
butch60
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of butch60
Aldo Colombini's has three gag booklets (Make Em Laugh, Funny Stuff, LOL (Laughing Out Loud)). They all contain very good one-liner, gags, and observations that can be easily adapted to various situations. You can probably otain them through his web site http://www.mammamiamagic.com.
butch60
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
When youve drawn the outline of the card say "have I got it right so far" and then turn it round to the audience.

ollie
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:

With all due respect, as I don't know your intent, I've worked with hundreds of standups comics and I'd guess just about every one of them would read your post and think, "he better not do that to my act" meaning, they would intrepret as it as theivery.

Again, I don't know you or your intent, and I'm more than familiar with how easy it is to misinterpret a post, but the last thing I'd want is someone "looking at my act, and changing the lines to suit them" -- whatever that means.

Respectfully,

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Also, you might want to try doing a search. There are numerous threads on one liners.
Daniel Faith
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 18:55, Doc Dixon wrote:
Quote:

With all due respect, as I don't know your intent, I've worked with hundreds of standups comics and I'd guess just about every one of them would read your post and think, "he better not do that to my act" meaning, they would intrepret as it as theivery.

Again, I don't know you or your intent, and I'm more than familiar with how easy it is to misinterpret a post, but the last thing I'd want is someone "looking at my act, and changing the lines to suit them" -- whatever that means.

Respectfully,

DD

He quoted Steve Wright as saying "I would look at stand-up comedians, change their lines to suit you and your act... "
I think that changing lines to suit your own act is a perfectly legitimate practise. Don't we change tricks to suit ourselves. As long as it's not a blatant copy where's the problem. Nothing wrong with standing on the shoulders of giants, ask Isaac Newton.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
I'm not sure if he was quoting Steven Wright, or offering him as a source of material, hence the phrase "check him out".

Re: this comment --
"I think that changing lines to suit your own act is a perfectly legitimate practise. Don't we change tricks to suit ourselves. As long as it's not a blatant copy where's the problem."

There is a HUGE difference between changing a trick which was PURCHASED (or is in the public domain) and slightly changing a line from someone's act which was never even offered for sale.

I'm not typing this to "preach" to anyone. My intent is just to tell you how every stand up comic that I've ever worked with (and there are 100s) would feel about this issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Respectfully,

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Jokes are also in the public domain. Very few comedians actually tell their own jokes now a days. They just "revamp" old material and make it fresh. So if using a changed joke, your likely to be doing the same as the person who you heard it form.
Nick
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2005-03-28 13:20, walsall wrote:
Jokes are also in the public domain. Very few comedians actually tell their own jokes now a days. They just "revamp" old material and make it fresh. So if using a changed joke, your likely to be doing the same as the person who you heard it form.
Nick

Not to beat a dead horse (an idiom which I hope translates worldwide) but this is far, far from my experience. True, at times certain topics -- OJ, Lewinsky, Bobbitt, will dominate -- but the specific jokes are considered proprietary. Comics that steal material are generally held in DEEP loathing.

I guess the issue centers around the definition of the word "revamp". Unfortunately, in real life "revamp" often just becomes "repeat".

Respectfully,

DD
Now you can prove it!”
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Doc -
Preach away brother Dixon ! The widespread idea among magicians that jokes are 'public domain' is absolutely ludicrous. Steve Wright worked long and hard to create his act and the idea that beginning performers would 'nick' random lines without guilt or credit is shameful.

People! Take a moment and think... Where does all this 'public domain' material come from? Are there people out there writing funny stuff just for the rest of us to use? Not likely... All those 'hack' jokes that people use are just jokes that have been so often stolen, so misused that now no one can remember who they were stolen from originally. But trust me, whoever wrote it never intended to 'share' it with every SYM member and weekend warrior who carries an invisible deck and a TT.

One of the reasons magicians are mocked by the rest of the entertainment world is because far too many of use are doing THE SAME MATERIAL, with the same tired jokes.

I know what some of you are thinking: How can I write jokes, writing my own jokes is too hard! It's supposed to be hard. If it was easy, everyone would do it (this itself is a paraphrase from a great speech from "A League of their Own").

So Magicray80, do yourself and favor, and if you don't have a B show, just don't do the show! Or do the show and don't worry about having a 'zinger' every 20 seconds. The beauty of doing magic is that if you keep yourself awake, comedy WILL happen pretty naturally.Especially when you choose good Magic routines like the one's you've selected; They have good comic moments built right in.

A little struggle in each show is how we get better. And that is after 18 years of struggling as a performer.

Best of Luck,

Peter Gross
http://www.funnymagic.com

PS Ziatro, my best advice is to stay clear of "heckler" lines, especially ones that refer to masturbation. Lines like this are a bit like poorly made hand guns:
They are just as likely to damage the user as the one they are aimed at.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Good one liners (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL