We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you think it's wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
After a long sabbatical, I’ve been back into Magic for less than two years, but word is starting to get around.

Many of my closest allies would object on religious principles (they’re entitled). I’ve told select members of my prayer group where I want to go with this, so they can be supportive. For the rest of the world, it’s open season. At some point, if I keep it up, the “cat” will pop “out of the bag” regardless of how I try to manage the info.

One thing is, I never say, “I’m a Magician”; I just do something amazing. Handing someone a blank business card and then “printing it” before their eyes is a real attention getter. Work it into what you normally do, and use wisdom as to when it’s appropriate.

When I was a teen, I was showing Magic at my grandmother’s funeral. Bad taste!!! Hopefully I’m a little more sensitive now. Use some common sense.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
You don't say how old you are, but you seem to be still in high school, yes? Running with that assumption, I offer this:

Your school peers are often going to be some of your most vicious spectators. The teenage years (and often into the early twenties) are full of trying to find where you are in the social order. To some, anyone who can do something amazing (like a magic trick or a skateboard move) must be either "topped" or torn down. This can be very brutal to someone who is not sure of their abilities.

I'd second the suggestion that, at this age at least, you stay away from your peer group, unless it is people that you trust with the deepest parts of your soul. You want to perform your first routines for people who are mature enough to give feedback without ripping you to shreds just because their ego is on the line.

The other fear is getting yourself into a deep hole too big to get out of. "Once they know I'm a magician, they'll ask me to do stuff I can't do." Again, you need to find a more mature audience - people who will understand that you're just beginning and may have to say, "I'm sorry - that's all I can do" and they will be fine with that.

You've got the sleights you need. And I bet the books and videos that taught you the sleights also give you some tricks to use them in. Find yourself a more mature audience so you don't have to worry about those two fears, and you'll be much farther ahead!

Ed
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Another thing to consider is that structure is valuable here.

One of the high points in my performing life, and really the first time I went seriously beyond friends and family, was my highschool AFS Talent Show. I did my show and left the stage to applause. And no one had a chance to ask me to do anything else. (Though my friends couldn't stop talking about it when we went for pizza after so I ended up doing a bit more coin slight stuff at the table later Smile )

Ofcourse that was in the midwest, where teen magicians were somewhat rare, and before the masked doofus began exposing staples of the business on TV.

I guess what I am saying is, pick a venue that feels comfortable to you. That may be a small circle of good friends. It might be an 8 yr old cousin's birthday party. Or it might be a street full of people you'll never see again. Really, you're the best judge of which is best for you.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 10:32, satellite23 wrote:
I also have had this problem. Just do it. Trut me, you'll appreciate it. Then, people will start thinking you are cool. Don't give them too much, though. Then they'll get bored.

Dude, you are responding to an eight year old post...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That's mandarin just chiming in to prove that you don't HAVE to be in HS to be a jerk.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Eight years just proves it's still an issue, right? Smile

-----

Did Satellite23 get his posts pulled? He reopened a bunch of 2002 threads, but now all those posts seem to be missing.

Hmmm, a disappearing act...interesting...
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-07-15 20:53, Cyberqat wrote:
That's mandarin just chiming in to prove that you don't HAVE to be in HS to be a jerk.

Uncalled for slam, Cy. Why shoot the messenger? The guy was going around racking up his 50 posts so he could get on secret threads for all the wrong reasons. So he responds to someone who had 15 posts 8 years ago. Not to mention I wasn't talking to you...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Quote:
On 2002-09-18 07:29, Peter Marucci wrote:
Gimmick,
You do all those sleights and you say you're a beginner!
Hey, I've been doing this for 50 years and I can't do most of them! Smile
That aside, I think the point is that there's nothing wrong with learning a whole bunch of sleights, even if you are never going to use them.
Many, if not most, magicians end up buying a whole bunch of tricks that they are never going to use.
It's important to understand the principle behind the sleight/gimmick and, to do that, sometimes the only way is to buy or learn it.
So I don't think you are going about this the wrong way.
On the contrary, I think you are creating for yourself a solid base on which to build the magic that you will do in the future.
Put the same kind of work into your presentations, and you will be unstoppable!
And then you can call yourself a magician, because then you will be ready (in your mind, which is really the only place that counts.)
Smile
TRUE! Have seen what Paul Harris can do with a few DL's and something simple?
Amazing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you think it's wrong? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL