The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Burning rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
J0HANNES
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of J0HANNES
About Mark Tripp reply I think to be tied with some chains by a base and a chainsaw will be hanged above me ...the fire will not be above me.The rope will be tied somewhere on the floor and the fire will be there not above me.
About fools I saw a lot ...the last fools that I saw them are the cameramen when they shoot me totaly wrong when I performed "incredible floating pen" ON AIR.I told them many times how to shoot me but ....This time they could be fools but I will not accept fools to tied the rope at the ends.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rehearse evreything and be sure evreyone is in their right spot before you get strapped in etc.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
What is the company that makes this rope with the cords? I need something simular...

Please pvt me with the info
Cheers
Curtis
J0HANNES
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of J0HANNES
I think there isn't but I think you could buy cord steel and rope and to make the gaff yourself.
Johannes
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You can plus I think someone should know how to make one.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I want the cord to be able to snap on cue..
Anyone know a maker of this type of rope?
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Why in the world would you want to do such a dangerous stunt. People have been maimed and killed doing it. Mario Manzini has pins in his leg from doing it. Unless you can do something unique why bother with the danger. Will you be paid a fortune or be on a TV special? It is something already done, including by a woman, Dorothy Dietrich, for Home Box Office. Not worth the risk for no real results.
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
Johannes,

There have been countless twists added to the routine over the years. Often there are chains added to make the escape seem more difficult. Some have done the escape over a tank of sharks, or a bed of spikes. Some have done it dangling higher than a building, often from a crane, over a canyon and even hanging attached to a hot air balloon or helicopter.

However, there are only a relative few who have performed the escape dangling from a burning rope. And this is with good reason.

The burning rope adds an element of real danger, which (though breathtaking to an audience) is not only dangerous to the performer, but also a danger to the audience. The primary concern of any performer should be to not only consider all precautions to protect themselves from harm, but to also protect the members of the audience who are participating in the thrills, but probably unknowingly participating in the danger.

There are two types of danger involved. First, there is the illusion of danger, which is the supposed endangerment of the magician. That is the only danger that the audience should perceive. It is found in the counting of the clock, as the escape artist has only moments to go before the rope burns through sending him crashing to his death. Of course most of this danger is minimized and illusory.

However, the perceived danger is not the "real" danger. There are many real dangers, which should first be considered. First there is a danger that something will fall from above and hurt someone looking up from below. A performer may accidentally leave a set of keys in his pocket and they can be dislodged easily in the upside-down position. Keys falling from 200 feet can hurt or even blind an upward-looking spectator. Even the straitjacket which is purposefully thrown into the air when the escape is complete will drop at a rate that could become very damaging or even deadly when falling hundreds of feet to the ground. If done from above a parking lot, the wind can carry the jacket fifty feet away, crashing into a parked car, breaking the windshield. Falling objects therefore need to be minimal and the crowd needs to be away from danger, removed from beneath the escape artist.

The second danger is that of the fire itself. The fire used in the stunt is not just a burning rope. Fuel has been used to supply the rope and create the illusion of burning the rope. Although the rope appears to burn, the fuel is what is actually burning. It is the same as the wick in an oil lamp. The rope wick remains in tact for a long time, while the fuel burns creating the smoke and flames.
The presence of a fuel, and the act of lighting the fuel, present a real danger to those involved. Any of the participants could spill the fuel and ignite an uncontrollable fire.

Dripping flames is another huge problem. Those who suggest it can be illiminated, haven't done "their" homework. The wind will cause excess fuel to shake loose from the rope and fall burning from the sky. It is like a flammable rainstorm. On top of that, flames dripping onto the escape artist may light his or her clothing on fire. Costuming that is highly flammable becomes more than just the escape from a straitjacket; it becomes an escape from a raging fire. I like the idea of doing the burning at the floor. It does eliminate this problem.

With all the extra precautions that must be taken, it is easy to see why magicians and their insurance agents prefer to do the escape without the use of fire.

Speaking from experience, in this day and age, the SJBR trick won't make you famous. You are better off to come up wit a completely different escape. Being imaginative and creative -- that will make you famous.

-- Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Mr.Wizard
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Mr.Wizard
B R A V O!!!!
harry knight
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Well after reading this thread, escaping from a strait jacket upside down whilst the rope is buring, is the last escape I'd want to perform.

Harry
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've hung from buildings, I've hung from cranes, and I’ve even hung upside down just a few feet off an indoor stage. But I've never added the burning rope gag nor have I ever wanted to!

Just to reinforce what Stary wrote above, I neglected to take a quarter (a single coin for goodness sake) from my front pocket. It worked its way out of the pocket into the jacket while I squirmed about 80 feet up. When I finally pulled the jacket off and flourished it (I never drop the jacket) the coin flew into the audience below. It hit a young lady in the forehead, cut and bruised her badly. Insurance paid the bill! But I was never invited back to that venue! That was over 25 years ago.

It was the last time I ever performed the USD escape.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Burning rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL