The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anatomy for Beginners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Did anyone else see this series of 4/5 programs shown on channel 4? (4/5 as one on Sunday)
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/A/anatomy/

Quote:
Anatomist Gunther von Hagens and pathologist John Lee begin a series of anatomy classes, including a human dissection filmed before an invited audience. This first programme investigates movement. Dr von Hagens dissects a man he knew, removing the skin in a single piece to enable a demonstration of muscle movement. Then the skull is opened and the spinal cord and sciatic nerve removed in a single piece.

I thought this was an excellent program and was so informative. I was interested in the nervous system and found that program answered many of my questions.
I sat there riveted to the screen feeling corresponding parts of my body as the program progressed. (No, not Thursday night's).
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
I watched three of the episodes and found them to be really interesting. I think that all four episodes are on Sunday night if anyone wants to see the ones they missed.

ollie
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Not as informative as the progamme on earlier..Fahrenheit 9/11 !!

Howard
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Both were fantastic.
I can't believe I enjoyed watching the Anatomy programme!

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
If somehow we could have combined the two!

"Gunther von Hagens meet Mr.Bush"
- Mark Twain
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
"Farenheit 9/11" was a celluloid strip of lies. That they called it a documentary is one of the greatest misuses of language in recent memory. More like a hack & paste job with a Bush-bashing message. Probably the only words that aren't lies are "and" and "the."

Or maybe they are, too. I don't trust Michael any Moore.

CSR
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2005-01-31 19:34, Carrie Sue wrote:
"Farenheit 9/11" was a celluloid strip of lies. That they called it a documentary is one of the greatest misuses of language in recent memory. More like a hack & paste job with a Bushbashing message. Probably the only words that aren't lies are "and" and "the."

Or maybe they are, too. I don't trust Michael any Moore.

CSR

Spoken like a true Republican. Actually what you say is true but my question is what does this have to do with the topic at hand? This kind of talk can only get this topic shut down. Politics is a taboo subject here unless EVERYONE agrees with EVERYONE (no fun in that).
Back to the original subject. How much censorship was involved in the dissection process? I would love to watch an actual dissection but every single one I have watched on tv was so badly edited and censored that the viewer only got an idea of how a dissection took place.
My uncle as a high school student went on a "field trip" with his science class to watch an autopsy being performed. How cool is that? Has anyone here at the Café' have the opportunity to have such a field trip while in High School?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
No field trip for me. Nowadays school trips are becoming a lot less common because of all the legal forms that is involved for the teachers.

The disections are all completely uncensored, so it's not for the faint of heart.

ollie
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
The website looked very interesting...Is it in the US too or just the UK?

Ellen
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
This was a full dissection no edits. They removed the whole dermis and displayed it. Full brain removal with nerve from the neck to the toe removed. Full chest cavity removal, display of lungs and heart. removal of the whole digestive system from throat to anus. Also the reproductive organs of a male and female were covered in a single program. This was done with 5 different donors.
The only conssesion was the subjects had the face covered with a plaster mould.

Ellen. I would say only UK as far as I know.
- Mark Twain
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I used to do that sort of thing fairly often with deer, etc.
Maybe I should have video taped it.

Anymore, the sight of the things inside of things makes me less than exited. I think it's good they are able to show it though. People are not the fools many censor types think they are (I believe).
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I remember him doing the first human disection live last year and was extremely controversial. It was very good.

Matt
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Josh Riel. I have done some field dressing too. The one thing I wont miss is the smell. Yeeeeeuk!
- Mark Twain
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
I am in med school, and I have seen some nasty stuff. I wish I could see that show, it could help me study, lol. Oh, well. Is there a way to see it online?
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I don't think you can see it online.

Here are some links that may help you to track him down.

http://www.koerperwelten.com/en/pages/home.asp (his works are touring the USA)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2494643.stm
- Mark Twain
Rudolph McGuinness
View Profile
New user
Isle of Man
23 Posts

Profile of Rudolph McGuinness
Michael Moore and Gunther von Hagens are very similar characters. They are both attention seekers and wear silly hats.

I prefer von Hagens as he is only a nuisance to the dead and not the living!

As kids we all gathered round old valve TVs to watch "77 Sunset Strip" or "Dixon of Dock Green". Now of course families gather to watch human dissections.

Rudy.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I prefer von Hagens as he is only a nuisance to the dead and not the living!

ROFLMFAO!!!
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anatomy for Beginners (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL