The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Practice mirror (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Hi,
What type of mirrors do you use for practicing sleights?
I saw this mirror on a magic site the other day. It was made up of 3 panels that curve around so you can see your hands from different angels. the top view would look like this /- well, sort of.
I thought this looked like a pretty handy tool for practice. It was pretty pricey tho.
Ill post a pic of it if I can find it again.
Mabey ill try to make one.
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Ah, here it is: http://www.heyprestomagic.com.au/ezimerchant/prod159.htm
Does anyone have something like that? Is it a worth wile investment?
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I went to the local glass shop and had them cut 3 pieces of mirror glass (2 pieces 18" x 12", one piece 18" x 18") then taped them together using gaffer's tape (you could substitute good quality duct tape). I used 1/8" thick glass, and it cost me about $25.00, but you could use single strength glass, and it would be less. This works amazingly well at exposing angle problems. Using this, I have become much more aware of what the true angle situations are (and there can be a LOT of difficult angles, though most can be corrected with proper technique, body position and blocking). The homemade version I have works great - the primary advantage to the acrylic model is that it will be much lighter and less prone to breakage. I can't recommend using a mirror like this strongly enough, as it will dramatically reduce any possible exposure, and consequently, boost your confidence, knowing that you KNOW they won't be able to see anything suspicious. Good luck -
Bill
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Kind of expensive! Right now I am using mirrors from a dollar store.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
That price is absolutely ridiculous.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-01-29 11:01, Larry Davidson wrote:
That price is absolutely ridiculous.

Ditto.

Lots of great alternate suggestions here on this thread. I'd also suggest maybe going to a K-Mart or Wal-Mart type store and looking for a cheap women's vanity tri-fold makeup mirror. (Clarification: That's cheap MIRROR NOT cheap women)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Turk,

I didn't read to the bottom of your message and spent three hours looking for a blue light special...
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Sounds more like a red light special.
silver
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of silver
I would use just an ordinery 'every day' mirror. Once you know the slights you shouldn't practise in front of a mirror all the times because when you perform there isn't any mirrer! ;-)
ewizardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
117 Posts

Profile of ewizardmagic
Howabout just turning to different angles as you perform in front of an ordinary mirror? lol...That is waaay too much.

Jason
"Never argue with an idiot...those who are watching may not be able to tell the difference..."

"skusslechea"
-psalms 35

Jason

http://www.ewizardmagic.com
NitroMagic
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of NitroMagic
Try your local Glass company there is a great plexiglass mirror avalaible now.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I recently bought a close-up mirror from Hank Lee. It's a three panel mirror which you can adjust and is reasonably priced. It's not a true "mirror" per say. I like this because I don't have to worry about it being so fragile.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Go to the local hardware store and purchase "mirror tile" along with 6 hinges and some super adhesive bonding. PM me with moree specific instructions....it's very simple.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Throw away that mirror and invest in a video camera! The only time that I still use a mirror is for viewing magic videos and DVD's. Sounds funny, I know but try it! You will get a brand new prespective and learning "moves" is sooooo much easier!
Magically,
KW
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I had one that was tri-fold. It was plexi. I badly need one again. Anyone know a source? I could make my own otherwise. Thanks in advance! Smile

Doug
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
For $12 you could do a lot worse than this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Electric......3ad28612
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you, MW! Looks like a good one!

Doug
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yep, Mike! That is what I'm looking for! Smile Gotta make one I guess. Way outta my price range!

Doug
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I had the plexiglass version years ago but I sold it as I wasn't really doing close-up back then. Now, many moons later I am preparing a close-up show and wish I still had it! Lol!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Practice mirror (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL