The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Need name of trick and inventor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I was at lunch on saturday with wife,kids and friends. The kids asked me to do a trick and had pretty much nothing on me. So I improvised, I started with taking a knife and turning into rubber and back to solid again. Here is the trick in question , I took a straw wrapper and tore it into six little squares , wet them and placed them on the knife. 3 on one side and 3 on the opposite. I then proceded to "magically" remove squares from each side via the paddle move. you finish by showing it was all an illusion and "restored" all the squares. Anyone know the origin or name of this one ??

Thanks in advance,
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
That's just it; you used a paddle move.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Found it . "DOTS Magic - Impromptu version" Page 314 Mark wilson Complete Course of magic.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Wells34
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Wells34
Sounds similar to John Carney's knife and napkin routine. And then restoring the napkin. Its in his book and one of his videos.
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
I have watched my friend, the late Jack Miller, package Hot Rods by the skillions in his basement workshop. Jack often said that by his reckoning he had made enought rods that every magician in the world should own a dozen of them. He never made any claim to originality with the effect and, like me, assumed some cave man must have invented the paddle move.

Ed Hutchison
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
chicane
View Profile
Elite user
New Zealand
465 Posts

Profile of chicane
Another paddle routine with a knife and paper is in "Classic Secrets of Magic" by
Bruce Elliot. The idea is to use a symetrical design knife. The paddle move is quite visible with some knives.

Wayne Rogers
FORCE 4 - a TOOL FOR MENTALISTS - OUT NOW

http://www.nzmagic.com/magicshop2015.html
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
941 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Our own Renaissance Man, Bill Palmer, wrote a little treatise entitled "The Early History of the Paddle Trick in Print 1584-1901". This little 26 page booklet is an ongoing project by Bill and will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the Paddle Trick. I say "ongoing" because he is constantly looking to revise it as he gains more information. It was first published in 1993, again in 2000 then the third edition was released in 2004.

Drop him a PM and I'm sure he will be glad to sell you a copy. It is fairly inexpensive...ten bucks I think it was. But a valuable addition to your library and your education.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I believe I've seen that in Edwin Sachs' Sleight of Hand
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Need name of trick and inventor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL