The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Highschool Teenagers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
This is great feedback. Thanks for all the info guys. I have used some of the suggestions and they seem to be working. The gimmick + 2 non-gimmicks at the end sounds like a perfect solution to any routine I do. A deck switch is something that is easy as well...for me anyways.

On another note, I spoke with my principal last week and asked him if I could use the school theatre to present a magic show for the public. He told me to come in and see him this upcoming week when the admin people are back in town and we can try and get it to work. It's one thing for me to perform on a cruise ship; it's an entirely different thing for me to have a magic show in front of my peers. You guys are all right about how your peers can help you with crowd control (I still have to try that 8-ball thing with them, haha).
- Tommy Magic
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
It has been a long time since High school for me but I often perform for teens. the 13-18 age group are intrinsicaly a tough venue, but as Angela put it let them experience great magic. Set the rules of engadgement politley in your opening patter. establish that your magic is an entertainment bonus. When you master this venue will give you insight to audiences of all ages.

Andrew Pinard has a great set of lecture notes titled The Shared Experience that is a "reflection of theatrical and storytelling techniques and how they can be applied to create a sense of immediacy difficult to find in any other performance art"

I have found the words in this tiny tome to be a priceless resorce in audience engadgement of all ages
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Tommy...

the most amazing thing you can do is tell the principal the show is for charity towards the school.

Say you will charge only 3 bux....

and Everything will go to the school.

Setting a low price like this for the show ensures more and more people will come.

Heck you can even tell the principal if you can have a 33 1/3 percent profit....meaning a buck...hey atleast it tells him you know your math and are a good student Smile somehow...unless you are in his office every day ... Smile haha....

Good luck man.
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 17:53, TommyTheTremendous wrote:
- I just get done performing a trick for a person or a group and afterwards, one of the viewers says outloud "Ah. I know how that trick was done." What am I supposed to say to that? How do I respond? I've said "So do I, but don't tell anyone." This is good to say a few times, but having a repeatable one liner for the repeating situation can be boring.

If the trick you just performed is one that doesn't require a gimick or one that allows you to end clean, hand the trick to the know-it-all and have him show you. Chances are he will probably not know how the trick actually works, get embarassed and never shoot his mouth off while you do a trick again.
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
Being able to remember the same situation in high school is a trick in itself for me these days. Two solutions come to mind. You are dealing with a predictable audience in that age group. They will almost always respond to your entertainment the way you describe. It is the nature of the beast (beasts?). To respond to "please, please show me how it is done.....", I usually kept repeating, "it's magic...it's magic". That response is as basic as the pleading and a bit hard to argue about. Secondly, have an exit strategy. Do one effect, then take your bow. Immediately start moving while explaining that you must run to your next class, meeting, study hall, lunch etc. That advise is right in line with "keep your audience wanting more.

Be brave,

Nick Maggio
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
Ack. See... this is what I get for joining the conversation late and not reading through all the replies. I go and say something that's already been said by half the forum!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Angela has it spot on correct. A gentleman is someone who people actually enjoy being fooled by (pardon the dangling participle there, folks). However, not everyone watching will be a gentleman or a lady. There are some people out there who are immature and who can get quite pushy with the "I know how you did that trick" line.

There are several ways to deal with them - here are some of my favorites:

The progressive method:

"Don't tell them ... (if needed) SELL it to them ... (if needed) later ... (if needed) after I've gone." Each portion is used only if the person keeps pushing after the line preceding it. Works pretty well.

The counter method:

"Really?" (hand them the props, if possible) "Can I see your handling of the effect?" Usually shuts them down and/or deflects the other people onto them, rather than you.

The Buddy method:

"Glad to hear I'm not the only magician around! It's a really clever method, isn't it?" When they try to explain, look shocked and say, "My goodness! I thought you were a fellow magician by the way you were talking! I'm surprised that you'd break the Magician's Code of Secrets. I guess I'll have to write you up to the Guild. You KNOW how nasty they can get about exposing tricks. Look at what happened to that Masked Magician character." When they ask what happened to him, respond: "Have you seen him lately?" they will answer "no." You respond: "Well, now you get the idea of how nasty the Guild can be about that sort of thing!" Wink and walk away.

The last one worked really well the three times I've had to use it in the last 36 years or so. In fact, in one case, they guy came up to me on the QT and worriedly asked if I'd really write him up and I told him not to worry - THIS time...

Sometimes, being a bit of a practical joker can come in rather handy. Bwahahahaha! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 03:05, Lee Darrow wrote:
"Glad to hear I'm not the only magician around! It's a really clever method, isn't it?" When they try to explain, look shocked and say, "My goodness! I thought you were a fellow magician by the way you were talking! I'm surprised that you'd break the Magician's Code of Secrets. I guess I'll have to write you up to the Guild. You KNOW how nasty they can get about exposing tricks. Look at what happened to that Masked Magician character." When they ask what happened to him, respond: "Have you seen him lately?" they will answer "no." You respond: "Well, now you get the idea of how nasty the Guild can be about that sort of thing!" Wink and walk away.

Hahahaha!!! I wish I could have seen the look on that guy's face. This is great, Lee! Smile

Angela
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I have the same problem, except I am a freshman, and so all the juniors... really want to know how I do my magic, because they think of it as if I am tricking them, not entertaining them. I never give 'em himnts, because they then think they can do it, whether I know they can't or can. So, I imply that it takes a lot of skill/practice, then they don't really want to grt into it because they don't want to put in any effort to practice. Or use terms that many people know, like "ahh, it just takes a loof misdirection, (or) ...a lot of palming." Half the time they are even more impressed.

During class, say no, it's in class, I might get in trouble... I need to get this...

Try not to use gaffs, that way you CAN show 'em everything. I use Gaffs primarilly in set performances where asking if they could inspect the coins... is rude.

Before I do a trick, I flat out tell 'em " ok, give me a little respect here or I won't be so willing to do magic for you whenever you ask"

My worst problem, and pet pieve is being interrupted, I hate it. lol
One time I was doing the 3 card monte, and as I was tossing the cards, one guy kept saying "it's here!" as he turned it over. Naturally when wrong, he said "hey! you cheated!" I kept trying to explain to him that that was the trick, and that he had to wait for me to finish. AAAAAHhh, what a pain.
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
There are so many things to say, and one- liners. Some work some don't. It really depends on the situation.

After awhile of performing like that you should get an attitude about your magic. You have to construct your performance depending on how you want your audience to react. There is a big difference between what you do, what the audience sees, and what they remember. It's up to you to make those pictures as you perform. Depending on how your attitude and you performance your peers will react differently, and that simply comes with practice.

Josh
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11568 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
I do a trick and the crowd asks to inspect everything (half the time the trick has a gimmick and half the time it doesn't). Other magicians I've spoken to say that someone will rarely ask to inspect the trick aferwards. That has never helped me since they do, lol.

If they ask to inspect everything say "OK, here..." start to hand it to them then when they reach out pull it back and say, "Oh, sorry, we don't have time." They laugh and subliminialy they feel you really would have let them have a look.

I work in a school teaching 1-5 computers and they are always asking me to do a trick. It's just not the time and place for a trick. Also it causes problems when you try to show a few kids and others see from afar and run over and also want to see. What I do occasionally is vanish a napkin or something. I don't make a big deal about it I just casually do it like in the lunch room.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
A major part of being a performer whether the performance is impromptu or on a stage is controlling your audience and controlling as much as you can your environment.Performing for your peers at your age is probably the toughest situation I can think of. Most of the kids due to ego issues do not want you to look more special than they are. Many kids will take it as they're job to screw you up. I'm afraid for the most part if they cannot touch and or examine the props that you use you will not succeed. Fortunately as you get older this situation gets much better. My opinion is that you begin your performance with a kickbutt self-working non-sleight of hand item (There are plenty) Then when you have them on your side start in with your best sleight of hand material.If you sense that the urge to grab and touch your props has subsided then it's time to throw in your best gimmicked trick. Put it in your pocket and move on.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1912 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I agree, even as a high school pastor - I can't keep thier attention. You gotta compete with the oposite sex, MP3 players and Halo.

Good luck,
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
One of the things I do when people press me for the method to my magic (and it happens soo infrequently anymore) is I get in close to their ear and ask, "Can you keep a secret?" They will answer "YES!" I then say, "Really? so can I." This usually shuts them up.

Like I said, this rarely happens anymore.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I got similar types of requests and the same "lack of respect" when I was in high school. Not only from magic, but from martial arts too, since I did both. I learned to never do "impromptu" magic unless it was totally examinable. Guess that is where I first got started in learning slights and manipulation well. As for the lack of respect, that simply goes with the age of your audience. One problem might be that you may be trying to "fool" them more with the magic that you do, than entertain them. I learned long ago that fooling people was not good. People don't mind being entertained, but they don't like being fooled. Magic that is done in a way to "fool", make the audience feel like you are cleaver and they are not, always brings cries of "let me see that!" I've never had that problem when what I did was presented in a manner to entertain, rather than fool.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 17:50, photius wrote:
I got similar types of requests and the same "lack of respect" when I was in high school. Not only from magic, but from martial arts too, since I did both. I learned to never do "impromptu" magic unless it was totally examinable. Guess that is where I first got started in learning slights and manipulation well. As for the lack of respect, that simply goes with the age of your audience. One problem might be that you may be trying to "fool" them more with the magic that you do, than entertain them. I learned long ago that fooling people was not good. People don't mind being entertained, but they don't like being fooled. Magic that is done in a way to "fool", make the audience feel like you are cleaver and they are not, always brings cries of "let me see that!" I've never had that problem when what I did was presented in a manner to entertain, rather than fool.

Great advice.
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 01:48, TommyTheTremendous wrote:

I am currently a senior in high school and have been doing magic since I was a sophomore.

I remember being a senior in high-school once. Can't recall being a sophomore, though. Where am I, again? Smile

Quote:
EVERYONE knows me as the "Magic Guy," "Magic Man," "Magic Tommy," etc.

Everyone knew me as the weird guy with Tourette's Syndrome. Pitiable? Not at all! I could swear up a blue streak in the middle of @#$*!*$ class and nobody could say $#@! about it!

Quote:
1. I do a trick and the crowd asks to inspect everything (half the time the trick has a gimmick and half the time it doesn't). Other magicians I've spoken to say that someone will rarely ask to inspect the trick aferwards. That has never helped me since they do, lol.

Simply don't let them inspect your gear! Put it all away and when someone snatches for something, smack their hand with one of those wooden wands with the heavy brass tips. IT HURTS! Smile Maybe not the best thing to do but word will get around and people won't do it anymore.

Quote:
2. I do a trick and they of course ask the NUMBER ONE question that every magician gets...."How do you do it?"

Have graph paper and colored pencils handy. Start going into some deep math. Use sigmas and those wacky long S's used for integral calculus. Begin tossing about words like "topology" and "combinatorics." After 5 seconds, they'll be bored to tears and ask you to stop explaining.

Quote:
Well of course I have my one-liners, but then they (usually it is/are the female(s)) plead me. They basically grovel at my feet asking them how it is done.

Now THAT is something I want to know! HOW DO YOU DO IT? PLEASE! TELL ME NOW! Smile

Quote:
I have even been offered with bribes to tell a person how a trick is done. Being a person that is honest and true to my word, I don't tell them the secret. My question is, what can I do to "get the point across" that "I will NOT tell how it is done and you should quit begging me to do so."?

Seriously, turn it into a "sucker trick." Explain "the premise" behind the effect before hand. Only "the premise" is not the actual premise the effect employs. For example:

YOU: "Does everyone hear understand the idea of universal resonance?"
THEM: *blank stares*
YOU: "Everything is the universe vibrates at a given rate and no two objects have the same vibrational frequency. These cards are no different. Each one, when struck, vibrates at a unique pitch...."

From there, almost anything can be explained in terms of "universal resonance." If someone challenges this and still begs, look them dead in the eye and in all seriousness say, "Unviersal resonance. It's the basis of all magic."

Of course you should probably come up with your own patter and standard line of bovine $*@! to spray about the audience.

Quote:
3. I am sitting in the classroom (this is DURING class just FYI) and some kid asks me to show him that one trick, or do that trick where you do this and that, etc. I say "Yes, I have that trick, but I am not going to show it to you because I don't want to." They usually reply (to taunt me of course), "Yeah. Ok. You just can't do that trick." My response is "You may say I don't know the trick, but I am the one that gets paid $__.__ an hour for doing it." Seeing as how this comeback takes a little bit to say and isn't repeatable hardly....What are quick come backs to someone who keeps bugging me to do this trick or that trick?

Heh. Don't disclose your salary to them! (Or if you do, exaggerate it. Tell them you don't get paid hourly but charge a flat fee of $2,500.00 per trick. Make them think you're rich. Nobody lips off to the rich.... Well, I don't. They've got money. They could hire people to beat me up!)

Don't be goaded. I shouldn't speak-- I'm bad about letting jerks crawl under my skin-- but next time they say, "You can't do it" agree with them. Tell them you left your magic ring at home. Tell them you had an X-ray at the dentist's the other day and it took away your super powers. Tell them you're too busy at the moment for, even as you speak, your clairvoyant vision is espying a crime in progress and your magical doppleganger is rushing to apprehend the culprits. Or just tell them you didn't drink your Ovaltine that day and aren't feeling up to it.

Or, if they play D&D, you can always tell them, "I didn't memorize that spell today. All I've got today is magic missle, detect evil, burning hands, read magic, and dancing lights and I need those later for the guidance counselor's office. She's got a NASTY claw-claw-lecture attack but if I can pull this off, the treasure's mine!"

That or you can simply do a Napoleon Dynamite kinda quote on them, "I'm freakin' tired! Leave me alone! GOSH!" (It helps if you impersonate Napoleon's voice, as well. That normally makes young people laugh.)

Quote:
Please help!

Hope this does! Smile
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
That has got to be one of the most entertaining responses I've ever read on a forum.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-03-18 11:53, photius wrote:
That has got to be one of the most entertaining responses I've ever read on a forum.

I thank you. Smile
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Highschool Teenagers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL