The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emigrating (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
Ok people, just thinking about emigrating from the UK to either Florida, Vegas or New Zealand, whats the prospects of working full time close up magic, I am 35 years old, have been working around 15 years in the UK, I also have to consider my wife and 2 young children...

Looking forward to your info.

Darren.....
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Califronia, definately. I make yearly trips and love the area.

Jakks
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
I can only speak for Nevada (being a native myself), but our wacky cousins to the south (Las Vegas) have a very prolific magic scene and it's quite awesome. Jeff McBride has magical get togethers every Monday at his studio, they have Caesars Magical Empire where there are several great magicians. Sigfriend and Roy, Lance Burton and all those other headliners.

The only problem if you are coming to Vegas to be a professional magician, is that there would be a lot of competition. Magicians in Vegas are kind of a dime a dozen. Now if you come north to Reno (where I am), I think I know one other magician here besides myself and Kalin & Ginger. (Well a might one other one but he couldn't even spell magician.

-Dan
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
[quote]........I also have to consider my wife and 2 young children...

Darren,
Re-read your quote above....

Do you know the difference between a pizza and another Vegas magician?

A pizza can feed a family.

With all respect, my advise, don't consider the Vegas option.
BTW, I've lived and worked here for 26 years.
Ted (Leondo)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2002-09-19 21:12, Dan Farmer wrote:
The only problem if you are coming to Vegas to be a professional magician, is that there would be a lot of competition. Magicians in Vegas are kind of a dime a dozen. Now if you come north to Reno (where I am), I think I know one other magician here besides myself and Kalin & Ginger. (Well a might one other one but he couldn't even spell magician.

-Dan

Don't forget Terry LaGerould over in South Lake Tahoe! Smile
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
I just heard about him last night. I'm thinking of going to see him, I heard he was good.

-Dan
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
If you want to support a family as a magician, I wouldn't recommend Vegas for the reasons already stated. You'll want to be somewhere with a fairly large metropolitan area within easy commuting distance. First, I'd try and figure out where I'd like to live. It sounds like you want to be somwhere warm. You might also look at Phoenix or Tucson. Of the two, I prefer Tucson. It's not as big as Phoenix, but the desert is prettier around Tucson, and Tucson has one of the best magic shops in the country. It's also close enough to Las Vegas for easy weekend trips.

I personally live in San Francisco, but rents here are sky-high, and the job market is the worst I've ever seen it in twenty-five years of living here.

Jim
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
"How do you make a Vegas magician's car more aerodynamic?

Take the pizza delivery sign off the roof."

(Adapted from an old musician joke, usually aimed at drummers or trombonists)

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
MrHonesty
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of MrHonesty
WEll I live in Tucson as recommended by Mr. Morton and while I don't know much of anything about the professional magic scene I can attest to it's beauty. I spent a year in Phoenix and the past two months down here. I wish I'd been here all along.

Andy
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I disagree..I totally felt left behind in Tucson...although the desert is much better preserved and the pro-shop is better stocked and the magic scene is much more prevalent...

Never mind ....Tucson is a better environment for magic~rr

Oh yes did you ever emigrate?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emigrating (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL