The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2005 entrée: Larry Becker » » Story behind " Will the Cards Match" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Please forgive my ignorance but can you enlighten us on the origin and base principle of this great effect. It was shown to me by a fellow magi and I have figured out through induction a letter chart for 6 pairs but I would love to know the actual formula. Also have you figured out a easy way to "mess up" ( for example the pairs do not match) and "magically" ( simple reverse count ?)fix it. I hope I am not asking too much here but I love the simplicity of the effect. Thanks to Peter Marucci's help, I have come up with a variation using animal cards and have the kids do animal sounds while matching. Thanks again for any information you can share.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Yes please. I too would like to know a little bit more about the origins of this superb effect. I like to perform it "tongue-in-cheek" with any magic pointing device available. Kinda fun until the end when the last one matches...then they're all found to be matching. All I've shown...well...are you familiar with the phrase, "a moment of silence"? It's strong enough to my closer for a certain card routing I have, etc. etc.
I worked out a way to do it in Spanish, too. The way I do is with four cards instead of five. I also worked out some guidelines that are easy to understand that will enable anyone to adapt the working to any words or phrases that fit the guidelines. I don't want to post anything on these guidelines, as I don't believe it's right without your ok.
Please, a bit more on the origins of this wonderful effect.
Thanks!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
I first came across the basic principle in a 1982 booklet written by Howard Adams entitled the Ramasee Prophecy. Howard used a series of unrelated words. I substituted a meaningful phrase, "Will the Cards Match." After showiing my variation to a group of mentalists from NY (The 13) who came to visit me at my home in New Jersey it took off from there and in a matter of months it seemed to spread from coast to coast. There have subsquently been a plethora of variations (mine included) such as my "Punch Lines" and "The Ultimate Match-up" on pages 182-188 in Stunners and Stunners Plus.
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2005 entrée: Larry Becker » » Story behind " Will the Cards Match" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL