The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What is the best vanishing birdcage? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
I had posted this topic on Genii but got no replys. Hopefully I'll get some here.
I've been researching which type of cage to get for my bird act. I have heard that the Nielson cage is the best. I have also heard it is not what you pay for. Also it is not seperate from the base at all, the bars go right into the base. I have also heard that the "Ultimate 6 bird cage vanish" from Tillford illusions is not what you pay for. Does the whole cage and table base fit in the case that you purchase from Tillford? I do not have anyone in my area who knows much about comparing the quality of the two cages. Maybe you guys have heard something about these cages from people who actually own them, or maybe not. Try and post any info on these cages or any others available that I have yet to find myself.
Thanks
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
How many doves do you plan to vanish? IMO, the best is the Nielsen Vanishing Bird Cage because it packs in one thin suitcase and is quick to assemble. Just be careful you do not ruin or bend any of the tape measure type of bars. I have the Proline Vanishing Carousel and I use two separate cases for it. It looks more beautiful on stage than the Nielsen version.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best is Neilsen's Cage. I have seen it and it fits in one large narrow case.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
What do people think of the one from http://www.stevensmagic.com Where can I get the Nielson one from?
Thanks
Nick
Brian M.
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Brian M.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Stick with Neilsen. Norm will take care of you right with it.

If you want a different ending instead of the vanishing cage, look at some of the flower items I make that take doves inside and change into large botanias. Just a thought.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
It looks like the Nielson might be the best choice. Does anyone on the Café own a Tillford/Proline ultimate 6 dove cage vanish, that they could tell me about? Does it fit into one case? Does it work well? How does it compare to the Nielson?

....and to answer your question, Lou, I'll be vanishing 6 birds.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I had a Tilford/Proline vanishing cage. I will be honest and say that it wasn't nearly as good as a Nielson cage. It packs into 1 case - I believe it is quite a lot larger than the Nielson case. Also, when I recieved the cage, the base had several cracks and some of the corners were chipped. I also had to repair the cylinder on a few occassions and replace the bars frequently. If you can afford it - go for the 'cadillac' and get Nielsons. Just my 2 cents...

I meant the corners were Chipped, not shipped
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I used the Nielsen Cage for several years. I stopped when some of my audience said that it didn't really look like a cage. Just my opinion. Aside from that, too many magicians are using that type of cage. Audience already suspect it's a vanishing cage. That's what I feel. Maybe you can still do more research on other ways to vanish 6 doves.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Guys

The Proline Vanishing dove cage, in my view is better than the NN version because its has a base...& vanish is better...I did ask Lupe (Norm's wife why they didn't include a base, to make it looks like a cage, she say No base was to make the base thinner, but it seem the Proline version with base still very thin...2.5 inch...hmm Smile

If there was any damage to the Proline cage, I am sure Cligg Wigg or George from Chalet will take care of that Smile I like the design very much... just ask Dan Sperry Smile

Btw, for those who wish to vanish 1-2 dove, you may try the version made by Richard Hughes doves change into large botanias!! Very cool, I own a set. Cost is US$1800.the last time I ordered, there are only 2 in the world, not sure now. Contact Richard Hughes...www.hugesmagic.com, the best in this business & a very nice man Smile

For those interested to change 6 doves into a lady, I am selling away my Gemini Cage, last batch build by Creative Illusions... PM me if you interested Smile

I also have a Vanishing Dove Carousel with the Fire & Smoke vanish gimmick build in (Just like Amos & Tony's vanish with fire & smoke), it was modified... works & looks SAME (or better) than Tony Clark's version, PM me if you interested too Smile

Warmest Regards
doveboy
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Ok like I am sorry but you are all crazy. Well I am sure your not, but how come no one has mentioned the origional version designed for the man who invented it. The Owen model's far superior to any version out there, and they're all copies. Go with Owen if you can afford it, please...

DJ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I doubt if anyone could afford the Owen model, that is if they even have one made to ship. It is all wood and not very modern looking. I question if the wood would hold up under a lot of shows. The legs and base are wood also.

Norm Nielsen cage is made of the latest materials available.
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
Where could I get the smoke/fire gimmick to put into a Nielson cage if I wanted?
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Owen Magic did make a version similiar to Norm's version...seen in magic auction a couple of months back....the original retail price, you could get a Gemini Cage with that! Around US$4.5 grand with ATA case! Smile

I believe Owen did made a version for Brett Daniel for his Parrot dove cage vanish as well as Jonathan David Bass's cage, correct me if I am wrong. The Owen version has a trademark nice thick looks on its base which can be seen on both Brett, Bass, the nomal orginal dove cage vanish as well as the wooden one in their cataloge featuring Dove (Goldfinger's wife).

Hi Jeff, the gimmick for the Smoke & Fire Gimmick is build to the roof top of the carousel. On a dove cage vanish will be diffcult. only 2 dowels with cloth....is diffcult...can't think of any solution....
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
The form will not just be two dowels and a cloth, I'm need it to do a lot mor than just vanishing, and I think there might be room for it. I was more interested in the actual gimmick, and where I could purchase it. What is it made of/ what kind of expendables does it use/ how big is it/ how is it triggered. Please give as much detail as possible. Thanks, Jeff
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are plans available for a similar item from Paul Osborne. It is not the single leg model. But it will answer a few of your question.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I've performed using both the Neilsen Cage and the Proline (mark 2) Cage. I think it's very wise that you're asking around about this decision. I hope my experiences and opinion can help:
The Proline cage is more deceptive in it's appearance than the Neilsen. There is a solid aluminum floor that makes it impossible to see into the table and provides for a very clean looking cage even from a relatively close distance...whereas the "hole" leading down into the table is completely exposed on a Neilsen. If you are on a proper elevated stage, however, the audience will never see that. But if the house has a balcony, they may see the hole. The vanish is more controlled, quiet and perfect on a Neilsen. The Neilsen has "something" that locks your cage in it's starting position so that you can't possibly trigger the vanish accidentally. One move releases it. My Proline Mark 2, however relies on gravity alone to hold it in the starting positing and is therefore less reliable. In my experience, I have always had a problem with a premature trigger while rolling the prop along any surface that is not perfectly smooth. (This is for the Mark 2 version back in 1999. This may not be so for other owners of this cage, however. And this may have been improved upon in more recent models). The tables on each are the "exact" same thickness. The sizes of the cages are almost the same. In my experience, the Neilsen cage was a bit longer and the Proline cage was a bit taller. The issue of size and fitting into a case is due to the wheel base. Neilsen's unscrews and folds down into a small, neat package. The Proline is stuck in the open position, like an office chair wheel base. This takes up a lot of room. The height alone on mine is about 8 inches, so a rather thick case is needed for it. as well. I own the Proline only and I have a case that is larger and thicker than the Neilsen custom case and it only holds the cage and the pole. I carry the wheel base loose since I didn't want to have an additional case built soley for the purpose of carrying it. I felt the Proline look was more deceptive, more modern, and a little more versatile (in it's neutral appearance)...and it was also $1000 cheaper. So I chose that years ago and it is a very beautiful, fine product. If I could go back, however, I'd get the Neilsen. It was superior in all ways but the deceptive floor. And if I put my mind to it, I could have added a floor to it and then I'd have a product that I felt more confident with. All my best wishes in your selection. (PS - I haven't seen the one on Stevens website before, but it looks similar to an Abbott's cage and that works on a completely differnent and in my opinion, inferior method).
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
You could always go with a Chalet Doves to Rabbit, if you can't decide.

ben
Magic Blinds
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Magic Blinds
I love the vanishing dove cage from Norm Nielson, personally I sold mine and now use the Chalet Doves to Rabbit. Personally a lot of audience have seen the disappearing dove cage which is not that magicial anymore.

Less lay people have seen a doves to rabbit. As a finally you can consider yor doves turning into a rabbit or a dog, cat, parrot, chicken. etc.

Just a taught.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree that some audiences have seen the Vanishing Cage too many times so it is not that great of an effect. Years ago, a similar problem occurred and that is when Mr. Marshall made his Dovetania which was a dove vanish into a botania. This still can be done with different size botanias for either one or two birds.

I also make a Pyramid Botania which vanishes 1 or two birds.

I love the Vanishing Cage but it is a bit overused.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What is the best vanishing birdcage? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL