The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help With a Color Changing Knife Routine. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Color Changing Knife Routine.

I was in a huge Bass Pro Shop and in the knife section they sold a set of the “color changing knives”. The knives themselves were pretty nice, but the routine it presented with them was very short did not live up to my expectation of what I have heard about the effect.

I have heard a lot of good things about this close up effect, but have never seen it presented myself, so I have no basis for reference other than this brief explanation given on the package.

Can anyone here post their favorite routine with the color changing knives? Or maybe even point me to a book or tape where a good routine is presented.

Thanks,

Allan
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
Look here for Whit Haydn's excellent routine and knives:

http://www.chefanton.com/ScoundrelsStore......ucts.htm

Also, there is Michael Skinner's work on VHS "The Michael Skinner Master Teach In Series - Color Changing Knives - Vol 2" available at:

http://www.a1magicalmedia.com/prod_templ......ctid=880

and many other magic shops.
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Check Tarbell (I forget which volume). There is enough there for you to develop a routine. Have fun!

Dwight Powell
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Years ago there was a inexpensive booklet about the "Hot Rod" trick.
It was very helpful and showed me some very useful moves for routining.
OK, I just found it at The Trickery for $3.
"40 Tricks with a Hot Rod" by Scott Anderson

Depending on the size and shape of the knives some cigarette sleights are also pretty good.
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
As mentioned above the Whit Haydn's routine is very good. It will require a third knife and the mongar set (which Whit uses) is very good. I've used his routine for a couple years now and it plays very strong for both adults and kids.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 23:16, mtmagic wrote:
As mentioned above the Whit Haydn's routine is very good. It will require a third knife and the mongar set (which Whit uses) is very good. I've used his routine for a couple years now and it plays very strong for both adults and kids.

That would be "Mogar" as in "Joe Mogar."
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
If you can find a copy of Ascanio's World of Knives, translated by Jose de LaTorre, you will find a superb compendium on this effect. Also, In Rene Levand's book is his routine for his "little knives" that is quite stunning.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
Yes, Mogar, sorry about the mistake
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I use Bill Malone's routine in my walk-around. However, I don't "expose" the gimmick at the end as he does because 30% of the time I believe the spectators sort of figure it out. No need to run when you are not being chased.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
L&L has a very nice video of Michael Skinner performing and teaching the "Knives".

Mike
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Volume 7 of Tarbell's has a few routines in it. I believe that one of them is an Al Cohen routine showing an interesting handling of the knives. I have found that having the knife laying horizontally with the palm up and doing the paddle move as you roll your wrist from right to left and back again is very convincing and is more deceptive than the vertical position more commonly used.But that is just my opinion.
Have fun with it.
Your friend in magic,
Allen Cleveland-Illuzns
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
I qoute Derren Brown from Absolute magic, " Excuse me sir, is this your penknife" and with that the magic fell stillbourne from the womb.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
The Haydn manuscript is worth it just for the Feidman flip-or whatever the correct name is-which is a paddle move where the hands don't even move, it is all at the finger tips.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I can't believe no one's said this so here goes...Color-changing knifes in a Bass Pro Shop?? Sounds kinda...fishy.
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Daryl...what can I say? I laughed out loud at your comment. But it's true, that'w where I found them.

I am interested in knowing more about "the Haydn manuscript", and the Freidman flip over. Where can that be found?

Allan
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Sorry Allan, I'm not familiar with Mr. Hayden's routine. Mine is a mix of Bill Malones (On the loose) and my own. I agree with Magic w/Hart, I don't expose the gimmick . I vanish the knifes ala toppit.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"The Intricate Web of Distraction"--my routine for the color-changing knives that includes the "Friedman Flip" and the "Close Vanish"--is available both in pamphlet form and on DVD from http://www.chefanton.com/ScoundrelsStore......ucts.htm

It is the routine used by Bob Sheets, Johnny Ace Palmer and many other pros.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Probably the very best routine I've ever seen for the CC Knives (and I love Sanders knives...) was taught to me by a wonderful guy named Richard Oakley from Memphis, Tennessee. I first saw him do it almst 30 years ago. Richard's about 75 now, and his routine, while not original moves, is an original combination of moves that flows very smoothly and cleanly. One day, he needs to put it out in a book, along with all the other things about magic he knows and can share. He's met everybody, knows everybody and, if you ask, him "hates magic". He even played the music for Dai Vernon's performance at a convention in the 70's. I know, cause I now own the letter from Vernon thanking him for it.

By the way, if you've never used or handled Jimmy Sanders' Color Changing Knives, you're missing the very best knives ever made for this effect. I'll never part with my last set!

Steve Thomas
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
Bill Malone, whit hayden, and micheal skinner are a few people to check out, bill Malone gives that gimmick away in his routine which many don't agree with but they are all good.
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Whit I just bought IWOD what a great tape!!I have Mogars Stag Sensation but had a hard time following the routine, your tape will help greatly . Also recently I read Against Originality in the Magic Menu thank you for that it was an inspiring read

Topper
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help With a Color Changing Knife Routine. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL