The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » How Many Gospel Magicians are out there ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
Hey everyone I have joined in on some of the discussions before and last year had the good fortune to meet with and film a very creative Gospel Magician, Neil Bacon from British Columbia. I was interviewing different magicians from Shimada to Doc Eason at Stan Kramiens annual Jamboree (a great event if you get a chance !) and I found Neils presentations to be amongst the most interesting as well as entertaining. What I also noticed is that he, I believe was the only Gospel Magician at the event. I notice familiar faces when I read the chats like Bro David, Neil etc.. but am wondering if anyone has numbers or estimates on how many Gospel performers there are in the North America. I am assuming there are conventions the same as clowning, ventriloquist, magic etc ? Thanks for any info you have.

Bro Gilbert
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I don't know what the total membership is these days, for the Fellowship of Christian Magicians, but I imagine it to be over 40,000. Not sure where that number came from... but I guess I added some count to my membership number.

But you have to subtract all of the jugglers, clowns, and balloonatics for your count of magicians. Each Conference seems to have the magicians outnumbered 2 to 1 by these folks. No shot intended here, as these folks are about the Kingdom work too. And I would be a clown if I were funnier, and juggler if I didn't have a bad shoulder, or a balloonist if I liked working with kids...... But this post was about Gospel Magicians.

I realize not all FCM members are in Norte Americana, but it is probably 50-60% of the total. If anyone knows the current total of members, my number may be way off, that would be helpful.

And I know a number of folks that also doing Kingdom work as a magician, and don't feel they have time for membership. And who is say they are wrong? But they would also count. I just don't know how many there are, but it feels like I meet a lot of them.

Interesting question. I think the number is pretty big! I just don't know how to quantify "big."

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
Bro David, thanks for attempting the numbers. Good point with the clowns and balloon artists, also has anyone been to these conventions. Are there big names like Michael Ammar or Daryl in this field? From what I see Duane Laflin does a bunch of Gospel related magic with silks, are there others in the field that people look up to in terms of being great teachers in the realm of Gospel Magic or is it pretty much up to the individuals faith and creativity to combine the magic and gospel. My point being that if you just wanted to learn magic you could go buy the latest dvd. With Gospel magic in my head it seems like there would be a lot of creative challenges when coming up with a routine.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
There are lots of names, that are big, but not as big outside of Gospel magic.

I can think of a ton of guys Christians, and are mainstream magicians, except on sundays and for the odd outreach event when they do Gospel magic. And then there are guys, like tricky Ricky Henson, Bob Zoermann, Dave what's his name (not me)and Steve Yarro who owns Doc Hayle's and lots of others name I cant think of, which is not indicativie of their importance or skill, but rather more an example of my failing memory.

Probably the biggest name is Andre Kole, who has created major effects for Copperfield (Can you say; Statue of Liberty vanish?), and others. And there is no question, that the second part of his show is evengelical. And Duane also comes to mind as an exception as he is internationally respected as a magician, and as a Gospel magician. His Greater Gospel Magic book, is wonderful work not only on effects, but on Gospel magic thinking. And he carries a lot of very nice effects. His Seeing the Truth newsletter is also a great souce of ideas.

It can be challenging to come up with routines. But then again, sometimes the ideas come like rain drops in spring. But not everyone has the same gifts. So it is a lot harder for some people who have blessed with other gifts than creating routines. I have a good friend who is a fanstastic Christian magician. But he doesn't create very much. However, given a routine, he brings real life to it, that you never knew was there. His gift is in performing, and if I had the power to trade gifts, I might even be tempted. My point is; is you have the gift; use it. And if you don't; ask for help. And above all: first, last, always, and ever; Pray.

There have been a number of previous disussions on creating a routine here; like which comes first, the effect, or the message? etc, etc. so I wont even try to go there.

Let's hope some day, that DVD's for Christian Magic are as available as secular magic.

BroDavid
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
As long as Gospel Magic is on the fringe of the magic community as a whole (and we are), material for us will be rarer.

I have a friend who is good at putting a gospel spin to magical effects. However, the things you say must always fit the routine you're performing, or the audience will not "get it."

D. Laflin put it well in his book. Not every routine a Christian magician does has to have a gospel message to it. In my current show, very few do. We should differentiate our gospel "illustrations" (deemphasizing the magic) from our fun illusions of whatever other form. Watch Andre Kole, and you'll notice the same thing.

One other point: I've been a member of both the International Brotherhood of Magicians and the Fellowship of Christian Magicians for some time. In the IBM, I never meet jugglers, puppeteers, balloon or chalk artists. I only meet magicians. I would be in favor of the FCM changing its name to the Fellowship of Christian Performing Artists. I may post anew on this subject.

CSR
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
I have also heard of Andre Kole, but didn't know he created the Liberty Vanish ! , does he still perform live shows ? Also does the FCM have a website ? Are there chapters all over the US and Canada or just in a few major cities? Interesting point on the performing artists Carrie Sue as Bro David mentioned earlier it seems there are lots of performance artists using things to illustrate faith. However the combination of magic and church is quite unique and fascinating based on some of the perceptions of magic by certain religious organizations. Based on some of the posts it seems like christian magicians have to not only overcome and master magic and performing skills but also convince the Church in some cases that their art is in no way a threat or for lack of a better word "evil" and can be used to reenforce positive messages of faith. No wonder there aren't more doing it. The performers who do stick to it must again for lack of better words have real "faith". Anyway I will be in and out of these posts as I work on this film. I would love to hear some stories as to how some of you got into gospel magic, so please feel free to pm me if you feel so inclined. I will keep you posted on progress and we'll see if the story takes a turn into a slightly more spiritual event than I had planned. Pray for the second round of funding and maybe I will get the chance to meet some the FCM in person !
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
You can look over he getting to know you topic and get a lot of insight into those who have posted there.

And YES! Andre Kole is one the creative geniuses of magic today. You would be amazed (and an awful lot of people are amazed every day by some of them) at some of the effects he has created.

For the FCM, go to http://www.fcm.org, and they have links to chapters around the world.

Good luck with your film.

BroDavid
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
As far as mainstream magicians that do gospel, there are a few names that come to mind.
David Ginn
Sammy Smith
Steve Taylor
Andre' Kole
Steve Varro
Jack Alaxander
Ralph Dewey
Duane Laflin
Toby Travis
Eric Reamer
Bob Zoerman
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I'll do Gospel Magic. Stage(not grand Illusions), Parlor, Close Up, everything in between.
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
1975... I also do the stage, not grand illusions magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » How Many Gospel Magicians are out there ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL