The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I fractured my left hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hi to all! I fractured my left hand this past weekend and am going to see a hand surgeon tomorrow to see if any damage was done to any ligaments. So my question is: any ideas on what I sleights I can work on with just my right hand, which is my dominant hand? I do routines with cards, coins, sponge balls, silks, and ropes. Any suggestions are appreciated even if it has to do with none of my previously mentioned preferences. I am trying to avoid going stir crazy. I do have a couple of the Rene Levand DVD's so this may be good motivation to practice some of his one-handed sleights --- he is the master at those. Thanks!!!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
You already answered your own question, start working with the Rene' Lavand DVD's. There are also one handed cuts, shuffles, and such that you can work on.

Take this time to work on things that you normally wouldn't work on- after all you’re going to have time now to do it.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
How about the one-handed shuffle. Or the hype-throw used in 3-card monte.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Back in November, I cut the tip of my index finger off about a day before I had to lecture and perform close up at a convention. Not really bad, just the end and about half the nail. It sucks! I had to rethink everything I was going to do. The fact that your plan "B" is already being implemented, even if only in the thought process, means you are solution oriented, and you'll find a way. Good luck.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Two years ago I broke my left hand (first metacarpal on my little finger) when I fell from my horse. It hurt like the dickens, but I was able to continue practising most sleights. My pinky count suffered the most, but it's almost back to snuff.

Sorry, I've no sleights to suggest. I'm just offering support from someone who's (almost) been there.
Posted: Feb 2, 2005 1:29am
----------------------------------------------------
Wait, I do have a suggestion. Look up Vernon's Cutting the Aces in Stars of Magic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
McDonald's $100 Ace routine. He only had one arm. It is in the Vernon books, Inner Secrets of Magic, More and Further. LL Publishing has reprinted the compete set.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Move to coins. various palms, switches, flourishes and grips. Wouldn't hurt to roll a billiard ball around the hand a few times.

Kirk
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have the day off since I will be seeing a hand surgeon today to further evaluate what may need to be done. I will start with one or two sleights fron the Rene Levand DVD's and will act on some of your suggestions. Once again: thanks!!!

Jimmy
angpc
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
24 Posts

Profile of angpc
I had fractured my left hand once, too. One of the metacarpals as well. The only trick I could do was a one-handed copper/silver transposition found in Bobo's book.

P.S. Now I have mild RSI from too much typing (I'm a college student), so I try not to use my hands as much. Since I guess I could safely assume that everyone here uses a computer Smile, I urge everyone to do be careful!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I quit using a computer years ago. I'm psychic.

;)
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Get ALL the Rene Levand DVD's you can afford:

http://mymagic.com/lavand.htm
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Quote:
On 2005-02-11 00:25, angpc wrote:
I had fractured my left hand once, too. One of the metacarpals as well. The only trick I could do was a one-handed copper/silver transposition found in Bobo's book.

P.S. Now I have mild RSI from too much typing (I'm a college student), so I try not to use my hands as much. Since I guess I could safely assume that everyone here uses a computer Smile, I urge everyone to do be careful!

You may consider investing in an ergonomic keyboard, and the Dvorak key layout. If you do a large amount of typing these will reduce the stress to the hands. Nothing is a cure-all for extreme repetitive stress injury, but these are tested improvements over the ancient qwerty keyboard.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/

http://www.ergo-2000.com/ergo2000/Catego......keyboard
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
angpc
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
24 Posts

Profile of angpc
Thanks, Magic.J.Manuel. Smile I'll look into it.

Bill, that sounds like a great trick! I should learn that; when's the DVD coming out? Smile

(oh, other one-handed things to do: muscle pass and Hotshot cut. If you can get the card to boomerang, you could potentially catch it with the same hand... theoretically)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jimmy,

I'm sorry to hear about your tough luck. But to make lemonade out of lemons, have the cast arranged to accept a TT so you can still vanish a silk. Or you could have it done to hold a dye tube so you could do color changes or produce silks with messages on them from Bill Palmer the non-typing author/editor/translator psychic. (I don't want to ask what a psychic has in a cast. Besides, only he would know.) It’s also a great time to read Paranormal. Bill translated into Texas English even I understand!

In 1987 I was in a truck/car accident in Georgia that crushed two fingers of my left hand and cut the end of one off. (Think of it as cut and restored finger!) One of the vehicles must not have practiced good hygiene because I got infected. After five more surgeries and two years of other problems that interfered with recovery things worked out well. But I should warn you, the sleights that I couldn’t do before, I still can’t do! So let me know what works.

Take better care of yourself!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Thanks once again for the words of encouragement. They are most appreciated. I can't say my typing is any slower since I tended to use my right hand more. Very funny suggestions and comments --- LOL. Thanks again!

Jimmy
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I don't know if it will help you but if you go to my website and scroll down to the bottom of the homepage and click on the link that says Cowling Finger Exercises you'll find some hand and finger exercises that have done wonders for my hands.

Good luck with rehab and get better soon!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I fractured my left hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL