The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Mercuring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stig
View Profile
New user
Oslo, Norway
79 Posts

Profile of Stig
I know this new trick by Jay Sankey has been mentioned in a different thread, but I start one for this effect only.

Penguin just posted a demo video for Mercuring. It looks quite nice. Did any of you guys buy it? Is it any good?

Stig
PAN
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of PAN
Looks good. Reads good, but then what doesn't? The strength of what is stated in this effect is the "through a spectators finger" portion. If it is readily done on a spectator, then I'm sold
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3225 Posts

Profile of warren
I just checked the demo out and felt to much time was spent talking about the effect rather than demonstrating it which makes me a bit cautious,although it did get me interested I think I'll wait to here the review's from people who have actually purchased it and used it in the real world.
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
I added it to my Penguin Shopping Cart, but am going to hold off like warren. The move demo was spent on more talking then anything. The effects described sound good and the fact that it is an effect that can be done ON/TO the spectator makes me almost want to buy it. I probably will end up buying it just for that reason, but like warren said, I want to see more reviews first.
- Tommy Magic
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
770 Posts

Profile of Loz
OK. Well I think this *effect* is brilliant. I do not recall (alhtough my ignorance is mind boggling) of anyone doing the extremely clear and clean transposition of a finger ring from one finger to the other. It is a brilliant idea for an effect and deserves credit. It is also extremely clear to me (and I imagine most magicians) how it is done. This does not mean it is clear to spectators (I would like to know if this is obvious to them). I think, as Jay suggests, as an opener this is great and thus no heat is on it. This puts me in a dilemma.

If I were made of money I'd buy it to support/congratualate Jay on the premise.

However, I am not made of money and could make this up easily. I am addled by guilt.

Well done Jay, and I understand why the video was focussed on you talking. Jay doesn't frequent these boards does he?
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1154 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I'll wait for a review on this. Is the ring gimmicked???? Moreover, working extremely close up with a ring people will ask to examine it (you can make a switch of course to a non gimmicked ring) and afterwards they will ask you to do the same with their ring.

As said, it really looked cool, but I'll wait for a review.
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
Yeah, I'll hold off too I think until reviews start to appear
Looks very good. I have no idea how it works either! Anyone care to PM me with a hint or place to look?
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2005-02-03 10:28, gandalf wrote:
I have no idea how it works either! Anyone care to PM me with a hint or place to look?

http://penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=972
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
vago
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
115 Posts

Profile of vago
Hi,

also wanted to buy but since I don't like gimmicks, I didn't.
The handling is simple and easy.
Look at the video, the handling is quite obvious for a mag.
as for phase 3 - if you control your crowd it's the same as phase 1.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Mercuring is a nice effect.
However, the ring looks kind of plain. Maybe so because of the patter? Anyway..
I'm sure that with a little effort and a few dollars that this effect could be used with a different looking finger ring.

Don't have it. Wouldn't buy it but I like it. If I'm correct, in what appears to be obvious methods, it would go nice with some other finger ring effects.

At the end of the effect there can be an inspection.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Can somebody explain this effect to me?

Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2005-02-06 16:40, johnnymystic wrote:
Can somebody explain this effect to me?

Johnny

The link is here.
http://penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=972
mugician51
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mugician51
After watching the demo, I really like the method that Sankey uses to make the ring switch fingers while at the same time making it so the ring can be examined. But, to me the "melt" through the finger looks unnatural. This might be a great opener when there is not too much heat on what you are doing, but to draw it out into a three phase effect with a non-visual, awkward penatration seems to be pushing it a bit..
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Got me interested first glance too but I was expecting more. It would be better to see the ring slowly melting "VISUALLY" through the finger rather than some cover first then you see it jump.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
770 Posts

Profile of Loz
Since its quite a clumsy business getting a ring off a finger, one might as well do a clever switch as, or after it comes off the final finger to hand out for examination. Thus you could have a visual melt. A new kind of himber ring would do it. Anyway, good plot, but needs work imho.
silver
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of silver
Well, I have read a lot about Mercuring so far. I got interested because of the Penguins website of course as well. Everybody is telling me that he/she has put the trick 'on hold'. I was wondering, if there was anybody already buying Mercuring?
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
248 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
I posted a brief review in the Tricks and Effects section if anyone is interested.

Best,
Matt
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
I ordered it from Penguin and I live in the UK.
What I can say is that this is not a beginners trick as it requires some very good and well thought out 'moves'. It would be easy to get caught out with this unless you practice, practice, practice.
I am a bit disappointed as I feel there are too many 'moves' and you will have to be thinking all the time and I am not sure that the 'skill' involved will be appreciated by the spectator. In other words there is a lot of work for a small effect.
I think that penguin is going to make a fair bit from the rush to buy this, but I would hold off because it will be available here very soon for trading..........

Regards Nitram UK
stphotog
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of stphotog
I bought it and even though I almost never use gimmicks this one is worth it.
#1 it is cheap hence the cheap looking ring
#2 packs a punch
#3 it packs small and that for me is sooo important as I only do magic in bars etc and hate bringing anything even a deck of cards (I do do that however).
However it is not a magician fooler as Vago pointed out but if you do magic to impress magicians you are dumb! Just do 1 step forget the rest unless you are on stage and getting paid always do 1 step tricks!! Spectators get bored quickly. Also through your hand is just as impressive as through theirs. When are you going to learn to impress you audience and not yourself!!!
If you are like me and like to do magic without equipment buy on the spot Greg Wilson it rocks.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of eb02
I got it as well. I played with it and it works grate. I am not sure I am going to use all 3 effects but defiantly the basic. I am having soon a walk around show in a weeding and I though it will be a good idea to use it to combine it with the ring and rope trick.
What do you say?
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Mercuring (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL