The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scotty York Knives (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I recently aquired the moar bone three knife set. I love them. Easy to handle. I love the jigged knife for ID in my pocket. I also have a set of scotty york knives and have never liked them. BTW, My knife routine is a variation of Whit's Intricate Web of Distraction. I love Whit's analysis and thoughts behind each move.

Michael.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I've never even handled a set of the Mogars, fccfp, but I did look at the pics on Sir Jim's website and they do look sort of like the Merrills. Your idea of the cig p**l is a good one. I never thought of that one. I used to keep a homemade utility pull in the sleeve of a levi jacket back in the cowboy days. It was made of a large alligator clip, some fishing line, a safety pin, elastic and tape. One day I used it with a dollar bill and waited for the surprise reaction but none came. Then I saw to my chagrin that the clip had hung on the big metal button on the jean jacket cuff!!! That's when you learn to always keep them unbuttoned.

What you're saying is very true, cataquet. I've got a number of knives around here that I "modified" some with better results than others. When we were doing the SY knives for Bill and Scotty, I collected up sample knives from all over the place and operated on them. One set I particularly like. They're pocket knives but about five inches long and really look like a knife. That's the main objection I have with some of the fancy looking knives - they don't really look like a real knife.

One of the neat things about the old Ernardo knives is the locking feature on the blade. It made an additional little trick with the knife. It made a great opener to get into the routine. I've got one of their fat little sets sitting right here.

Bill, for some more info on the old photo check out the thread on the Genii Forum from a couple of years ago:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=000217

-=tab
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
I still have my original two sets of Merrills, and still use them. Must be 30 years old. I even have the set of mini knives for the surprise ending. Were these made by Merrill? I forget.

They always looked inexpensive, but I always thought it lent to their innonence. Like them or not, their instructions were an expert treatise on the subject. Should be required reading for anyone doing the paddle move.

tg
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-02-06 10:36, tabman wrote:
"...One of the neat things about the old Ernardo knives is the locking feature on the blade...."

And it's the set that I use to this day, not only because I find them incredibly easy to handle, but because of the locking feature...you wouldn't believe the mileage I get out of that.

Quote:
On 2005-02-06 11:55, TGENTLE wrote:
"...I even have the set of mini knives for the surprise ending. Were these made by Merrill? I forget...."

They were Jose de la Torre's Smash Climax knives, not to be confused with the junky (IMO) product now being sold under the same name.
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Larry,

That's right! I had completely forgotten. Wow, that brings back memories...

Thanks,

tg
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
This is a fun topic. I agree about Merrills instructions. Great stuff. I have mine stuffed in a folder some place. They did look like a mineature version of what we used to call a watermelon knife down in Texas in the early 70s.

-=tab
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Tabman,

Never heard of a watermelon knife, although I am quite familiar with a Texas toothpick!
Tom
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Quote:
On 2005-02-06 10:36, tabman wrote:
One of the neat things about the old Ernardo knives is the locking feature on the blade. It made an additional little trick with the knife. It made a great opener to get into the routine. I've got one of their fat little sets sitting right here.

Bill, for some more info on the old photo check out the thread on the Genii Forum from a couple of years ago:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=000217

-=tab

I bought a set of Enardoe (E.O.Drane spelled backwards)knives from Harry Baker in Washington, DC when I was a kid visiting Washington. I still have them.

Thanks for the link on the photo. Arthur Buckley is the one I knew but couldn't remember. I would have never recognized Sid Lorraine. I should have know Walter Gibson. Wonder who the man on the far right is...I don't think he looks like Edgar Bergen...who someone suggested it might be. Wonder what the occasion of the photo was?

Bill
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I can't recognize Edgar Bergen, but it also depends on when the photo was taken..
Those I think I recognize are Okito, Harlan Tarbel, Bert Allerton, Walter Gibson, Sid Lorraine -a younger one then I recall, the guy behind with the beard I recall, but can't remember his name currently, but he was a stageworker and illusionist -ahh, Jack Gwynne it was-, well know one, so I'm still missing 3-4 ppl Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Dang Bill, Harry Baker's shop in DC is where I got my Ernardo Knives too!!! My grandmother loved magic and used to drag me around to meet magicians. Baker and Dolly!!! Holey Smokers!!!

Tom, I'm pretty sure that a watermelon knife and a Texas toothpick are one in the same!!!

-=tabman

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Update on Value vs. Price:

If your primary interest in which set of knives to get is price, as opposed to rarity, might I recommend the "Ultra Super Color Changing Knife Set" for sale on Denny's website. http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......=006266

I just received the set in the mail yesterday. 7 "Enardo" style knives w/locking blade feature plus 12 mini-knives for the smash climax. The whole thing is $35! that works out to $5 per knife, not including the "minis". (yes, I know, you can get a set of 2 “Enardoe” style knives on e-bay for less than that. But how are you going to round out the set when you expand from a two knife routine?)

No one will ever confuse these knives with a Benchmade, Spyderco or a Buck knife. They are, however, more than adequate for the effect and will cut the occasional piece of string or open a package. The "mini-knives" are very cheaply made. I don't think that is terribly important as the effect of seeing all those knives at the end will stun 'em anyway.

The Minis come on little key rings which I will probably remove. The set does not include a instructions or a routine so you have to come up with your own routine and know how to “work” the knives. It does include a couple of routines for the smash climax that are helpful.

All in all, I believe it is a tremendous value and would recommend them to anyone looking to build a bigger routine or presentation for the knives. Personally, I doubt I would use all seven in any one routine. They are there, however, if Ineed them or just want to vary the routine.

Don’t cut yourself,
Bruce
P.S. The parts of the knife that are sometimes reffered to as covers or shells are more correctly called scales. Now, if some one could tell me how to pop 'em off I would probably make some of my own. Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Wow,

That's a great deal. Hat's of to Denny. He could have squeeszed out another 5 or more bucks without a blink of the customer eye.

tg
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Quote:
On 2005-02-07 22:07, tabman wrote:
Dang Bill, Harry Baker's shop in DC is where I got my Ernardo Knives too!!! My grandmother loved magic and used to drag me around to meet magicians. Baker and Dolly!!! Holey Smokers!!!
-=tabman

Tabby -

Another in our ever growing series of coincidences in the past.

Harry must have demoed the knives to every kid that came in the shop. I certainly would not have had the good sense to buy them on my own at that young age.
That was the only time I was ever in Harry Baker's shop. It was gone long before I moved to the Washington, D.C. area.

Bill
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Bill, I loved Baker's Magic Shop. Baker sort of looked like Jack Gwynne, at least he had a pencil thin mustache!!! He would always walk us to our car. A real gentleman.

-=tab

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Lanny Kibbey in Houston makes some really nice knives out of the Imperial knives from Wal-Mart. They have bone scales and mother of pearl scales. You can very easily tell them apart in your pocket, because the bone surfaces are textured. Although the knives are curved instead of straight, that isn't a problem at all. I have been working with them for several years now, and have never gotten burned on that part of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I own both the Mogar and Merrill knives, and they seem nearly identical to me. Joe Mogar made up a special set for a trick in Genii Magazine (Orsen Wells issue) back a couple years called "Technicolor Knives" that I contributed. I think you can still buy the set from Joe for about $80.

I have a complete set of Scotty York knives that I would consider selling in mint condition. They're beautiful, but I prefer to use Merril / Mogar knives.

Robert McDaniel
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I wish J.P. Jackson were still able to make his CC knives! Beautiful work. I'm currently using Mogar's stag handle set, only because I'm afraid to take my Sanders knives out...Otherwise, it would be Sanders Color Changing Knives all the way! I'm keeping my last set of Sanders knives. Sold a mint (with original boxes and instructions) to Ken Klosterman for his Salon. Wish I hadn't sold 'em. I've owned a 7-knife set of Scotty York knives, too. Didn't like 'em at all. The Merrill set I had didn't resemble any of Joe Mogar's knives in any way.

Steve Thomas
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17135 Posts

Profile of joseph
If you are interested, I just noticed a set of York knives on Ebay right now, but you have to act fast....little time left and it looks like a good deal so far, based on the above information...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I bought a set of the Scotty York knives from Denny and Lee a few years ago, but sold them after using them a few times. They are easy to handle, but more than once I had a spectator say that the little chrome emblem on one side was some type of push-button that made the knife change color.

I use the Whit Hayden (Mogar) and am pretty happy with them. I still don't like the little bit of flashing that occurs on the edge, but it's not a huge deal; the Enardoes take care of that, but I've never been able to consistently handle them well. If my hands are too dry, I can forget about being able to do the paddle move with the Erardoes.

I noticed several people have mentioned knives being "jigged." Can someone tell me what that means?

Ron
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
Ron

That business of "pushing the button" to change the color might be a good thing--there's the germ of a novel routine here!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scotty York Knives (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL