The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » FCM name change? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Big Bad Baz
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Big Bad Baz
Why do we have none magicians in a magic club???
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
The Fellowship of Christian Ministries sounds too much like Fellowship of Christian Athletics. I would think that you would not want to sound like any other christian organization. The name does not really tell you that much about the type of ministry (Magic, juggling, etc. ) that is being done.
Big Bad Baz
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Big Bad Baz
It could be called the Fellowship of Christians then anyone can join. then all the magicians could give every magic secret away to anyone. COOL
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I joined because it's is suppose to be a fellowship of Christian magicians.
I would not have joined if it was anything else.
I also would not renew membership if it was anything else.
Basically because I have no interest in ballooning, chalk drawing, clowning etc, what so ever...

Fellowship of Christian Ministries is too vague. It's about Christian entertainment and teaching.
Daniel Faith
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Hmm .... if the posts on the name Fellowship of Christian Ministries is in reference to my post, then I think some of you need to read it again ... slowly Smile

here it is again ...

In Malaysia, we now have an FCM chapter (started last year) - while we still use the FCM logo etc. we are known more as the Fellowship of Creative Ministries.

So at this stage it's more like Fellowship of Creative Ministries (FCM) a.k.a. Fellowship of Christian Magicians. Most members I would say are the other creative arts with a handful of us who are more serious about magic / illusion.

---------
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I am against a name change.

Most of the other arts already have a group/convention. For instance, there is a huge convention for Christian vents/puppeteers.

I would like to see more of an emphasis on magic from the FCM, so that Christian magicians have a "place" to call their own.

I am not against any of the other arts...and actually enjoy seeing them when well done.

The Fellowship of Christian Ministries is WAY too vague. There are tons of Christian ministries that have nothing to do with the performing arts, so it would create much confusion.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Big Bad Baz
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Big Bad Baz
Paulmagic
I just wonder how you can have a Fellowship Of Christian Magicians chapter but call it Fellowship of creative ministers. The whole concept is we are Christians and magicians so why you feel the need to drop magic of Christian bit beats me. And why affiliate yourself with a group and change it's name and concept??

If people need a creative arts group then start one. I keep saying why join a magic group if your not a magician. I'm a Christian (Methodist) but I wouldn’t dream of joining the local mosque and asking them to change there name because I'm a Christian. However it would be fun just to see the reaction.
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
*sigh* I hope this is not misudnerstood. Nothing personal etc.

This is what I posted ...

Personally I like the FCM as Fellowship of Christian Magicians since I am not into the other wonderful creative arts of puppetry, mime etc.
But it might be nice that FCM one day make some kind of name change concession to reflect the way FCM has grown over the years.
Many organizations (I can think for example of missions organisations with years of solid history and reputations)have changed their organization's names to better reflect the times.

---------
As a newwbie to the Fellowship of Christian Magicians I cannot comment on their history etc, but from what I have gathered, they have incorporated all kinds of creative ministries over the years under their umbrella name FCM.

As I have said, I am personally happy with the original name of FCM as Fellwoship of Christian magicians. In Malaysia, the person who put in 95 %of the hard work and his own money in promoting creative ministries and bringing in FCM to our country prefers to refer to FCM here as Fellowship of Creative Ministries to promote other forms of creative ministry in the church. It's an in house thing. No one here in this family is unhappy, and so I don't see the point of making the name a big issue.

My membership card is from the Fellowship of Christian Magicians signed by the President in the USA. None of us here have tried to change its name or initiate a take over etc. We are interested ins uch things. We are interested in learning creative things (and for me, magic) for use in ministry and to bless others and are grateful for the fellowship and partnership of some of the FCM members who have come over to help us.

My comments on the name change thread was simply an observation that many organizations (Christian and non-christian)have changed their names etc to reflect changing times. For FCM (USA / International) to include other creative ministries under their fold is their perrogative. I have no idea when it happened and the reasons behind it but I think that is a gracious move on their part to do so. Personally I have seen how some people have mixed magic effects creatively with clowining, ballooning, juggling and even mime.

I also think that a ministry or fellowship (both terms identified over here with Christian based groups / activities) need not need to have the term "Christian" in it for it to be Christian based. I think immediately of OMF (Now OMF International) and OM (Now Mobilsation Fellowship). No use of the term Christian but I don't think any Christian doubt their Christian commitment. Another organization ahd a magazine called "Brown Gold" and changed it to NMT@work to reflect the changing times.

Have a great day! It's Easter and I am exhausted and still have some ministry matters to attend to BUT it is a good day indeed for Christ is risen!
Many Blessings!!

Paul
zippy
View Profile
New user
PA
54 Posts

Profile of zippy
Happy Easter to all
Zippy
Big Bad Baz
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Big Bad Baz
Paulmagic
I understand exactly what you are saying and there is obviously a need for a umbrella organization for a creative group of Christians. but FCM is a group of Christian Magicians, as magician we keep certain information to our selves this is to make our ministry have more impact, if everyone knew how we do stuff then our ministry has little impact. The FCM is a group for magicians, and it's important we have a forum/group were we can bounce new ideas and effects. Why People what to join a magic group and then change it is beyond my reasoning..
Have a good Easter
See ya
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I am opposed to any kind of change at any time at any place.
I don't even own a change bag and I change undergarments as rarely as possible. Smile
No matter what... Happy Easter!
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Dan Ezell
View Profile
New user
Cocoa, FL
24 Posts

Profile of Dan Ezell
I joined FCM because of the name. As a magician it appealed to me. I like the focus on magic because it meets my needs as a magician. I would hope we continue to have organizations with specialized interest areas such a magic. Having said that, I was also very pleased when I attended my first FCM national convention to see the variety. My wife, who is not a magician, found chalk art and loves it. I see the other arts for this organization as supportive arts. It allows families to go with the “magician in their family” and ALL have fun. With other magic groups my wife may feel left out, but with FCM she has a home WITH me. I like the name FCM. There are clown organizations where magic is supportive and not the focus.
Dan
Dr. Dan The Magic Man
MagicDove.com
As a univesity professor in special education I advocate the use magic to increase self-esteem of children with disabilities. Also, many magic tricks can easily be tied to academic lessons. More importanly, magic can be used to create friendships with children with and without disabilities. Smile
Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
To stir debate:

Would a plumber join the Gasfitters association? Why would a non-magician join a magic club? Why stop at non magicians, perhaps we should invite Non-Christians?

The Fellowship of Religious Ministries perhaps?
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I'm not an FCM member, so take this as an outsider's point of view.

At first glance, I'm with those who say it should remain magic-only, otherwise, you end up with no purpose to the assembly. There are many useful arts. They don't all have to be in the same "club" with magic.

But, you run into a problem that there is a subsection to the "statement of faith" that includes this phrase "As a member of this fellowship, I commit myself to: (1) reaching lost souls and encouraging growth in the body of Christ through the use of such talents as magic, ventriloquism, and associated crafts....."

"Associated crafts" are there from the get-go, so this is a situation that is inevitable.

I have other issues with the statement, but that one is relevant to this discussion.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
After reading all these posts and thinking about all the ideas, I think I have the answer to all this. How about changing the name from the "Fellowship of Christian Magicians" to the "Christian Magician's Fellowship?" That way there can be a name change and still keep "magic" in the forefront! Smile

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
I specifically belong to a Group Of Special Performers Entertaining Laymen (GOSPEL). Call the organization anything you want on paper as long as in spirit and service our hearts and efforts are focused and guided by The Master.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I think the reason there are so many allied artists in FCM is because many of us (myself included) use more than just magic in our ministry.

I love going to an FCM convention and finding I can attend sessions on magic and on ventriloquism, or clowning, or balloons, etc.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I should join it, thinking about it, whatever it is called.
fogelka
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of fogelka
Not wanting to cause any hurt feelings, I feel I must chime in here. I think that the reason there are so few "real" magicians and young magicians in the FCM is that there is a dilution of the magic with all the related arts.

There is probably a fair amount of crossover from ballooners and clowns into a little magic. Most of that, I think, is the curiosity factor, or a desire to branch out a little. But - there is very little crossover in the other direction.

In a parallel example, our local IBM chapter has invited a local clown group to join our meetings from time to time, and it simply does not work. Some clowns have showed up at the occasional magic meeting, much to the private chagrin of most of our members. Conversely, NO magicians have attended the clown meetings.

To put it bluntly, I think that most serious magicians are disillusioned (heh-heh!) by the mix. They want heavy duty magic, and they want to find powerful ways to transmit their faith through it.

Again, my intent is not to alienate anyone. But, my sincere belief is that there should be a much greater focus on magic. If you were to take a poll of all magicians that join FCM, and then don't renew, I'm guessing that the majority would say that they were lured by the name, but left because we didn't live up to that name.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » FCM name change? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL