The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PMZZ - The Real Workshop!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..21~22~23 [Next]
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
You fellows talking about grits got me thinking. The best grits I ever had came from a Pine Mt. Ga grist mill. Called Speckled Heart Grits. It's been years since I've seen any. Old fashioned coarse ground on a stone wheel. Wish I could find some. You could tell they were made from corn.

That's another thing we all have in common - baseball. I love it too. Love to be in a ball park watching a game. If I had ever gotten rich my plan was to buy into a minor league team. My oldest boy plays baseball with the Denver Indians in the Hardball League. They were division champs last season.

We've visited at least half of all the major league ball parks in the US. There are only three original parks left and we've spent time at each. Fenway is uncomfortable to sit in. The seats are too small for larger sized humans. Yankee is awesome. It's like the mother church of baseball but Wrigley is the best for me. Theres something about walking a few blocks to Wrigley through the old neighborhoods and coming around the corner seeing it. No loud rock & roll music, no hi tech signs flashing. Just organ music (this is the first ball park in the USA to ever have organ music) and an old-fashioned scoreboard. I hope I can make it up to Wrigley this spring for a game.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Quote:
On 2005-03-02 20:56, Michael Baker wrote:
Rick, You will have to make all the spring hinges. I make them for the card stars and the rabbit trick Bob and Lucy just got from me. I also have to make a set for the haunted house door. They aren't all that hard to do, but you will sure need a pile of 'em for that Harbin table! Let me know if you need any advice on spring winding, or anything.

Yup need 16 of em.

Ok, so I go get regular pin hingers to start. Guitar strings for the springs? (LOL, thanks to Bob's idea) or just some thicker wire.

And yes, this is new to me, I need advice.

Tabby, to me, Baseball is the only real sport. We do have the AA Huntsville Stars down here, farm club of the Brewers, so that might make an interesting PMZZ visit.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Evil Daniel is preparing to drip bloody frozen sawdust on the rest of us. Where did we go wrong???

Tabby, I've had the same speckled corn grits. They are sold at the gift shop at Callaway Gardens (which is basically Pine Mt.). My step mom works there in the seasonal times of year. I'm sure I can latch onto a bag fer ya! I'll send her an email in a second.

Wrigley is the best because it is a ball PARK, not a baseball STADIUM. Our Birmingham Barons play Huntsville during their season. They play at the Hoover Met, but once or twice a year, they have an old fashioned ball game at Rickwood Field (their old home). I think Rickwood is the oldest ball park in America. I'll check the schedule for this summer and maybe I can drag your asses down for a really cool weekend!

Ok. I'll try to shoot some photos of the making of a spring hinge. Guitar strings will work, but a cheaper source is piano wire. I once was able to buy it in coils when I made feather flowers, but it's hard to locate here now. Don't fret though... if you have an Ace Hardware nearby (who doesn't?) they usually carry it in 36" straight sections near the K&S brass tubing. Good hobby shops will have it, too, as it is used for various linkage configurations for R/C airplanes, etc. The trick is to get the correct guage, and that comes from a bit of experimentation... too fine and the spring has no snap... too thick and it will probably attack you. This all depends on the size of the spring and its intended use.

Let me knock out a drawing or two and I will email that to you. I will shoot photos when and if I have a hinge suitable for making one. I'll have to dig around.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Man O' Man!

Grits n Baseball...

Now there's a topic.

Best grits I'd ever had was when I was living in West Palm Beach, FL. Not sure they were all that great, but after months of instant or worse, I found some at a Days Inn restaurant just up from my office. Wonderful to a poor country boy. I made such a fuss over them the waitress got the cook and sure enough, she was originally from Jasper, Alabama (about 40 miles from Birmingham).

Of course, a few blocks further down was the location of the Braves Spring training. I used to go by and watch practice. Catch a few preseason games.

Was in Sarasota about a year ago and the office there has NO hotel anyhere remotely nearby. I was pleasantly surprised to find a brand new Holiday Inn just down the road. It was one of the nicest Holiday Inn's I'd ever been in and one of the nicest hotels of that type period. Turns out the place was built by George Steinbrenner because there wasn't a hotel to stay remotely around the area. (The location shoulda been a give-a-way... Steinbrenner Road)

tom
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Should we silk-screen some signs "Will Perform for Grits"? PMZZ

Rick,

For spring steel go to the hobby shop for airplanes. They have 36" lengths for building plane landing gear. It's good stuff! Yes, guitar strings do work. Get the second (B) string for strength with small size. Avoid light gauge strings for electric guitars they really are light gauge! More money won't get you a better spring. Buy the cheapest. If you'll take used strings for free, I may have some for you. They're even "pre-twanged". They’ve already made one set of fingers sore!

Save your broken pieces of strings and make card rise boxes!

Michael, is a two-foot log size useful to you? Much of this is about 8" diameter and pretty clear and straight. I can cut any length you want as long as I can lift it. Of course, there is some 24” diameter stuff too. But I can’t cut it.

Tom, a lady from Jasper would know how to keep coal haulers from getting hungry. I'll bet she thought servings of grits don't come in small sizes. Dip with a big gourd!

As for March 12th, has my driving frightened Michael so much until he’s accepting work! Why we made it to Huntsville so fast until we wondered if we crossed a time zone.

If you do find that the 12th is the wrong day, early notice would be nice. Lucy and I have an alternative also.

Tabman, is the leg coming along fine or should we start carving you one for spring? Since fishin’ comes next, you’d want one that floats, right? Then you’d have a “Safety Leg”! We’ll look into selling them to the government. Then we could spend the money at baseball parks and eating grits and potpies. Doug would talk to us then!

Bob N. Foraire
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sir No Bob is correct on the wire for R/C plane landing gear. I am putting together a webpage that shows the process of making a spring hinge step by step. Did a bunch of drawings last night. I'll try to get it up later today. The hard part will be photographing while I'm winding a spring. You just don't want to let go of one half way through!!! It'll think you're a piece of cheese and deli-slice you in a blink.

The log sizes you mentioned would probably do real good Bob. I'd be more than willing to take a hack at 'em. The 24" diam would scare me!! Let that go to charity. Paul Bunyan, I ain't! Thanks!

If you're looking to sell wooden legs to the Govt. for extra cash, rumor has it you wouldn't have to sell many. Seems to me they used to pay real good for hammers and toilet seats. Ok... getting too close to talking politics... so, how 'bout them grits???... 'er, I mean Cubbies???... er, .... NOW HOLD ON THERE, MUSKRAT!!! If we are gonna hit a ballpark this year, all geographic quirks are out the window!!! Once you go through the ball park ticket gate, you're in HOT DOG & BEER COUNTRY!!! Leave yer grits and potpies and moonpies in the car!!! They'll be there when you get back... of course the moonpie will be a moon puddle, but hey, maybe that's an improvement.

Later...

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Rick, I've got a coil of treble piano wire in the studio if you run into problems finding some, let me know.

Who said, "then grits aint groceries and Mona Lisa was a man???"

Re Old Ball Parks: My hometown of Americus GA has a nice wooden park built in the 1890s when Shoeless Joe Jackson played there. When I was a kid the Orioles had a farm team in Americus - the Americus Orioles - what else??

Sir No!!! My leg is coming along fine, thanks for asking. It's sore but thanks to quick action with dowsing it with corn likker and the nice trim job from those scissors you gave me its looking good. Hmmm. I better take a poke at the jug just to make sure. No power tools till this afternoon.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Post 'Ball Park or Motor Sports Hot Dogs and Beer' cure:

Find a good truck stop and get Bisquits & Gravy. No Grits till next day.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Well, well Doug... you have been around!!! Biscuits & Gravy sure beats that raw egg back flush/hangover remedy, doesn't it? There's a great truck stop called The Tennessean (Cornersville The Tennessean Truck Stop 3686 Pulaski Hwy I-65 & US 31A, Exit 22)

I'll bet many of the PMZZ'ers have been there!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
A GREAT Truck Stop is better than a great movie or Broadway show or fine 'too too' restaurant or massive Flea Market or Theme Park...

It just is.

When you come up on one after driving forever it's like finding Times Square in the middle of the Sahara...or Grandmas house.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Car?

Real Bubbas drive trucks of many colors! My 350 cab is yellow, the bed white and primer gray and the tailgate is red on one side. At lest the upholstery is brown except for the gray armrests. I’d send you JPEG but I don’t want to be responsible for cracked monitors.

Please don’t turn the spring loose to move the camera! It’s like roping a big Brahma bull by yourself from a horse you can’t trust. Things will get real busy. Then often you’ll need a little time for extra hide-growing. (I think I just limp.)

So you don’t see a future with the US Bureau of Wooden Safety Legs? Put it under the Department of Social Insecurity! Maybe we could get a grant to test quality control of hotdogs and beer in baseball parks? Somebody has to do the fieldwork!

I spent the morning trying to watch videos with sound only just to learn that the housekeeper has rewired my whole entertainment center. I think I will go across the road to the bunkhouse where life is simpler and count to 1,000,000,000 in Spanish to get my rosy outlook on life back.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
You're right about that Doug. A good truck stop is hard to beat. Problem is these days so many of them are being corporatized. The one up the road from here used to have a great restaurant that you could biscuits and gravy or a chicken fried steak 24 hrs a day but they got taken over and now they've torn the restaurant out and put a mcdonalds and a subway sandwich stand instead. Last time I stopped in they wre playing corporate rock music instead of the old Geo Jones and Merle haggard like they used to.

-=tabman

ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Bob, Tabby: yes, the guitar string/piano wire would be a help. I use the superlighs (.009 E) on the Les Paul, Fender and Kramer, and (.010 E) on the Ovation (Syd's) and Kona. And I toss the old ones when I restring.

Michael, thank you, now to Home Depot to get small hinges. Maybe I'll have the table ready for the next PMZZ meeting.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Rick, the wire I have is substantially heavier than the guitar strings you are talking about. Take a look at any treble wire in a piano (not the wound ones) and you will see what size it is. I could cut some to length for you if you decide that's what you want to use. Looks to be around .050. Doa search on piano strings and you'll probably find out the gauge.

-=tabman

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tabby,

It isn't a truck stop without Merle! How can folks eat and drink in a place like that? Who wants hundred mile coffee from there?

I remember in the studios we used to say to be a hit, it had to make you want to break a beer bottle and skip a truck payment! Corporate music!

Donnie Gay used to say the way to make rodeo bulls mean was to play Barry Manilow records to them. Reckon?

Videos have pictures again. It sure does make a difference.

Time to feed Lucy!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 18:42, Bob Sanders wrote:
Donnie Gay used to say the way to make rodeo bulls mean was to play Barry Manalow records to them. Reckon?

Her name was Lola! She was a showgirl! With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there. She would merengue (sp/) and do the cha-cha! And while she tried to be a star, Tony always tended bar across a crow-ded floor.
They worked from 8-till-4!
They were young and they had each other, who could ask..for..more at the COPA! COPACABANA! THE HOTTEST SPOT NORTH OF HAVANA!

lol Sorry 'bout that...couldn't control myself... Smile

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Tabby,

yeah, that's bigger than the low E string I have (.042). The gauges I have are .009, .011, .016,.024,.032 and .042, so I bet either the .011 or .016 would work. Is that about the right gauge for the Harbin table spring hinges?
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Rick, you play with some skinny strings. I use a .058 on my low E. Those light strings might work but I don't think they would hold their "spring" that long.

I use the piano wire for all kinds of propulsion as well as an occasional string on my baby grand!!! Smile And Im just guessing about the gauge of the piano wire. I'll be in the shop all day tomorrow. I'll put a caliper on it and see what it really is. How long do the pieces need to be for your hinges???

I think I have some pieces of .030 spring wire too. I would think that's about the right size. Is the .024 guitar string you're using a plain or wound??? That might work too.

Sir NO!!! We'll have to hook up in the studio sometime. I had heard that saying before. Must be a southern thing!!!!

Daniel!!! Wake up!! You're dreaming!!! Smile

-=tabman

ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
I've always liked the superlights. I seem to be able to fret better with them. Then again, you're 1,000,000 times better than me, so maybe I need to go back to the bigger ones. LOL.

I don't need that much... probably justa few feet, 16 hinges and that's for the Harbin table... maybe Michael can help me get an estimate

The .024 is plain, so I'll give that a shot, if not, I'm sure the .30 would work.

Now just waiting for Michael and his web page.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Dreaming of becoming a jingle writer, the boy is... more like a nightmare. Man, where's the mop??? Now we have to clean the workshop... There's a reason why his initials are BM...

Ok, kiddies... you want spring hinges???... you can have 'em!!!

Click the magic word... Presto-Hinge-O!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PMZZ - The Real Workshop!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL