The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PMZZ - The Real Workshop!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..21~22~23 [Next]
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
When Tabby told us Question #11, the funny thing was, Syd, Michael and I all came up with the same answer he did!!! None of us could ever work in a big corporation.

LOL
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Yes, but would you have written it down??? Smile

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
In a New York Minute.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Okay...so you're REALLY good at that kind of stuff, I can tell. I HAVE heard of the Victory Carton Illusion book, and was planning on buying it some time. I have Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and it explains an appearance of your assistant from two boxes, which is from the Victory Carton book. When I begin doing tons of shows, I'll eventually have enough money to purchase plywood to build my own illusions. Sounds awesome! I also can't wait to see this....*looks to left and right...whispering* "#11". lol By the looks of it, I'm sure I wouldn't get the answer correct myself. Smile.

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Ricker, there's no doubt you would have done that. I can tell by the gleam in your eye!!! Smile

Daniel, if I can find my copy of Victory Carton Illusions its yours. I doubt if I ever need it again and you might get some good use out of it.

The Magic Baker is taking the evening off for some tacos and movies. Sir No Sir Ree Bob is working on his flat panel portal and Birman hasn't found his way over here yet.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Tabby is the *BEST* at quality woodworking. I feel fortunate to have been his friend for 15 years and picked up some of that wonderful knowledge that he has.

Daniel, feel fortunate you have met him too, someday you'll look back at the knowledge you have gained from Tabby and be thankful that he was one of those that 'passes knowledge' so it's never lost.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Daniel,

Your Mark Wilson book has some great carton illusions in there. The first illusion I presented was one of those house things, made from big cardboard boxes. Decorated it with poster paints. Made another kid appear on the stage at school.

My second illusion was a very ambitious project mostly made from salvaged materials. It was a flash appearance and I built it with a hand saw, a hammer and a screw driver. I borrowed a drill, and I made it in my bedroom in an apartment I rented with two other people. Pretty stupid actually, but I was setting a precedence for the rest of my life.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Mr. Baker, that would be the Arabian Tent/Haunted House Illusion. I never thought cardboard would look great as a prop...but I guess if you make the effort and take your time, anything is possible. What kind of cardboard do you use?

I've always been looking forward to making a Tip-Over Trunk from the book.

tabman, I am very much grateful for your benevolence and liberality! I agree with everything that ricker has said.

With utmost respect,

Daniel
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
A magician with more people than huge in-the-way, hard to haul, and impossible to store stage props in his house has no life at all.

I wonder if the rest of the world sees them as barriers to reality?

We just see them as a measure of the quality of life.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Daniel,

Yes, that is the illusion. I have also seen the victory carton illusion used with great success. I just used really big card board boxes (you'll have to get creative here). If they aren't the right size, just cut them carefully to the proper size pieces and put it all together with duct tape. Paint it, and from a stage, it'll serve you well.

If you want to go a step up, scrounge up some framing wood, Cut them to 1x2's, and nail (or screw) them together into frames of the proper size using corner braces, just like you would see on the backside of scenery flats.

Cover these with the cardboard sheets, foamcore, or anything that will do the job. Paint as you would and you'll have an illusion that will hold up to much use and abuse.

The tip over trunk is nice, but will require some substantial materials to make. It will also take up a ton of storage room unless you add the hardware needed to have it break down flat. Trust me, the hardware will run you more than the wood on most illusions!

If you still would like a really nice illusion, for a first one, I might suggest one that can be worked surrounded, as it will afford you more opportunities for use. Sub Trunk, Doll's House, Sword Box, Palanquin, etc, are all easy to construct examples, and plans should be readily available for them.

Keep posting here and let us know how you are coming along. Ask as many questions as you'd like. We can save you money, time, and grief.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Bob, maybe you can help me explain the storing illusions part to Syd. She doesn't understand that the garage is for illusions storage and a workshop and not for cars or lawn tools! LOL

Yes, we have no life.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Move them into the living room and suddenly the garage will seem like the greatest idea since sliced bread!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Since I don't belong to anything and as an official hermit, have no friends, I thought I was the smallest 'club'. Maybe I should merge. The answer to question 11 is...uh...what's the question?

Bob Sanders and Michael Baker can 'vouch'. Maybe not for me but they can 'vouch'.

My workshop Studio qualifies. (see sig)

I live in California and never leave. ie: I won't raid the club fridge.
I play nice and share my toys.
Also I have a lousy memory, so don't remember what this thread is about, but that's ok. Well...back to 'shrinking heads'...

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
LOL Michael, you're right.

Hi Doug, the door is open here, you just have to walk in. And if you forgot to wipe your shoes on the doormat, don't worry, there isn't a doormat.

Or even carpet at the PMZZ mansion. Just magic.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks ricker...I don't wear shoes. My feet are claustrophobic. Only when we go to Disneyland. Then I have to go find them (shoes). I only wear them there so little Vietnamese ladies don't step on my toes as they push through the crowds and shoes enable me to kick Strollers out of the way.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sawdust on the floor, too.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Doug, sounds like a true California guy (I was born in Ontario, so I'm a misplaced Southern California kid).

Michael, that's in the PMZZ workshop, with located beneath the mansion via the secret door in the library. You have to use firehouse polls to reach it, and you open the secret door but pulling back the head of one of the small statues and flipping a switch.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
SHHHHH!!!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
LoL

Hey guys!

In about 2 1/2 hours, I used 2 (different sized) wooden dowels, a saw, a file, a cordless drill, and some hot glue to make a 'Harry Potter-style' wand (I would've made a traditional-looking one, except I don't have anything to decorate it with, i.e. metal for the tips, paint, etc.)! I'm so proud Smile
It's not the fanciest wand, I'll admit...but hey, I got something accomplished!

Mr. Baker,

I'll keep those recommendations in mind. The smallest illusion I have plans for would probably have to be the Buzz-Saw. LOL

Daniel
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Way to go Daniel!!!

Remember, For everything, there is a first time.

Welcome to the world of woodworking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PMZZ - The Real Workshop!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL