The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting started (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
I just wanted to ask a few things about getting ready to perform. We all know that your not going to be able to get food on the table by just standing there quite and doing a trick and wait for an applause. You've got to have attitude, performance, and entertainment.

Do you play senarios out in your head on how things go and what you'll say. Make punch lines and try to make up something to say for whatever the outcome is. Or do you just perform and you learn you're stuff from experience.

Next thing was, about working with people and in front of people. Now there are few who have the gift to get up in front of people and go at it. Most have stage fright. And if not I'm in the wrong bussiness. I am not a crowd worker and I'm not used to having all eyes on me. I'd like to hear how ya'll dealed with these problems. I know it takes expierence, but it would help me a lot to hear from ya'll to build confidence.

Where to start. Now I know most of you didn't start off on stage or hopping tables. How did ya'll get your experience before you became paid as a pro entertainer.

I know that is a lot to ask. But right now I'm getting serious. I know I might not become a full time magician, because unless your on top it is hard to live that way, and there are so many risks, like for instance hurting your hand(s). But I think it would be a great night job and maybe a good way to pay for college. And I promise when I get somewhere and get some experience I will pay back every penny this board gave me. And if you have anymore to say about getting started and don't want to post it here. Just PM me.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Gimmick,
Taking those one at a time:

1: I have a basic script in my head but keep flexible enough to "go with the flow" and, if something happens, capitalize on it.
A basic plan is essential (that is, a beginning, a middle, and an end, all clearly defined, and something to tie one to the other); otherwise you're just out there drifting.

2: Maybe I'm just lucky, but I never had any difficulty in appearing before large groups.
But I realize what a problem it can be for some, if not many. The best thing to ease the situation is experience; keep on doing it and it gets easier every time -- although for some it never goes away. Just remember, actor Sir Laurence Olivier was frequently physically ill from stage fright before he went on, even in roles that he could do in his sleep. So, it happens to the best (and most experienced) of us.

3: Like most of us, I started performing for family and friends of the family; then for small company parties where my father worked. It was at one of these that someone saw me and hired me for my first "real" show (I think I was paid the princely sum of $5). After that, it was just a case of "the more you work, the more you work."

Word of mouth will eventually spread and that is by far the best kind of publicity.
But remember that it takes time!
(Rome wasn't built in a day -- it just looks that way!) Smile
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Hi Gimmick,

First of all, you are definitely on the right track just by asking these questions. There is much more to performing magic than just knowing how the tricks are done.

Mr. Marucci is very correct in what he says, but I would like to add a few thoughts:

I believe when you are just starting out, it is a good idea to write out a script for your tricks. (Actually, many pro's regularly script their material. It's a great habit to get into.) This is not to say you must repeat what you have written word-perfect, but you will find that much of your fear when performing will vanish when you tread familiar ground. And, of course, always feel free to try out something new in your presentation. This is how your performance skills will grow.

As far as stage fright goes, everybody had it to some extent. The more you perform, the easier it will become to face it, but you never want it to go totaly away. When you think about it, stage fright is really a good thing. It is a physical reaction to your deep concern that an audience will accept and appreciate what you do. The only way you wouldn't feel stage fright is if you didn't care what your audience thought of you. Personally, I get very nervous before a show. To handle it, I make sure the first effect I perform is easy to do and extremely familiar to me and well rehearsed. The whole point of this is to allow my audience to see me at my best and to allow me to freely communicate with my audience without being distracted with my technique.

Finally, I will give some advice I heard from Rudy Coby, Michael Ammar, and many other top-notch performers - perform as much as you can! Don't worry about the money for now, just do your best to get experience. If you truly love performing magic, then your love will show and the money will come.

Good Luck,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
regarding the script:
Eugene Burger often recommends people (e.g. in his Magical Voyages series, I still consider this as one of the best material ever released on DVD) to write down first a script for your trick before performing it. And I must say it really helps Smile, First of all it gives you a certain security - You have the feeling you are prepared, and it makes you confident. Second you actually know what to say, this may sound stupid, but it's nothing more embarrasing than being in a trick saying "errrr ....uhhh" and don't know what comes next. Third, you can concentrate on other things, like unpredicted changes, or the reaction of the audience. So your story telling is not the top thing you have to focus on.

Well at least this works for me .. Smile
cya

Neuromancer
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I think script writing is critical. I write a script out for every effect I do. The only thing I would add is that I construct it so that I also describe my action/movement. I describe where every item is located and I work to internalize it. That is I automatically know where everything is and what to do with it and what to say when. And as others have stated in this forum, I am always flexible to work with the audience.

As a result of many performances and being confident I almost never experience stage fright. The few times I do, I attribute to me not being prepared. If I'm prepared I just go out and have fun with the audience.

I personally don't believe stage fright is a good thing. I don't think I could ever go to a job where I was always physically ill before I started. To me stage fright is rooted in insecurities (justified or not). Some people grow out of it...some others don't.

This has been my experience. Hope it is helpful.
Coram Deo
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
In my opinion, script writing is absolutely essential, especially for the beginner. Henning Nelms describes a terrific approach to script writing in his book, "Showmanship for Magicians." It is certainly worth a look.

When you get some years of performance experience behind you, you will become more extemporaneous with your performing. Your basic timing will be there and you will use memorized key phrases and lines. But as Peter so rightly describes, you will learn to "go with the flow" and take advantage of the “moment.” A book could be written on the apparent miracles when a performer has kept his eyes, ears and mind open and taken advantage of a “ripe” situation.

Regards,

Gerald
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
I would just like to add one thing:
Be sure to have fun, because if you enjoy the moment, your audience will too. Smile
Jonatan Bank
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Jonatan B is right-have fun! And the more you practice the more fun you can have. As mentioned above the best way to get rid of the stage fright is to know your routine backwards and forwards, so that you can react to anything that happens. Someone had a quote that said that the more they practice the more luck they seem to have--a very true statement.

Here's an example: I was doing a b-day party for a 6 year old girl, and I was using a Svengali deck (and yes, they enjoyed it even though it was a card trick!) where the short card was the 6 of clubs. Well, the girl told me to stop, I showed her the card she stopped at, and it wasn't the 6...

The only reason I caught it was because my lovely assistant (my wife) glanced at me with a oh no! expression. Because I was comfortable and well prepared, I told the girl that I could do the trick with that card, but lets make it special, so I had her tell me to stop again and she of course stopped at the 6 of clubs, which was her age!
She was thrilled and I finished the routine with her special card. Thankfully, that has only happened once!

But I say all that to make the point that the more comfortable you are with the routine, the more likely you are to deal with whatever strange occurrences that may happen. And lastly, the more shows you do the easier it gets.

Have a great day,
Chad Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting started (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL