The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Half Routine - with credit to Steve Bacho (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Such thought went into your routine. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Thanks MagicChris...i did put a lot of thought into this routine and, to date, have not yet even performed it myself!! I have rehearsed it a number of times and am still working out the timing of the hand movements...i was also playing with the idea of pulling out various props to match the poem for example...."but slipped through a whole in the glove" would correspond with me taking out a white glove with a hole in it...

ANY MORE THOUGHTS OUT THERE?

ALSO, DOES ANYONE KNOW STEVE BACHO? I'M CURIOUS ON HIS HANDLING, PATTER IMPROVEMENTS WITH THIS ROUTINE...THANKS!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thoughts... just one that may help you;

PERFORM THE ROUTINE! Do if for some people and notice how they react. When you get some of the patterns in their reactions you can review your script and refine your trick as needed.

Not all poetry works as patter, and not stories make perfect patter for coin tricks. You have to try the stuff and find out from real people what works.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
RJ11
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of RJ11
Everyone,

This is my first post. I just wanted to say that I love the creativity here - Smartini, very nice. I enjoy the Hopping Half very much. I have a routine that was published in the April 2004 SAM mag. in Cody Fisher's column. The routine was developed by myself and conversations and ideas with Barry Schor (Owner of Presto Magic Shop in Scottsdale, AZ). In the April Issue the magazine forgot to conclude me in the credits and was kindly added in the October 2004 Issue by Cody (THANKS AGAIN, Cody).

I always loved the hopping half BUT the re-setting was always a problem and I wanted something different than the "oops, your wrong again" concept w/ the spectators. Take a look if you have it. If not, you can message me and I can send it to who ever wants to read it.

Finally, an idea that was definitely Mr. Schor's was the use of the Larry becker purses. Larry's coin purse is a quality item that actually recently just came back on the market (THANK YOU MR. Becker for putting them back out).

Again, if you can't find it in the April 2004 MUM or need some more explaination just message me and I will be happy to help.

Enjoy the day.

RJ11

One more thing, resetting in my routine is pretty automatic!!!

Thanks again.

RJ11
Everyday above ground is a good day!
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I like the routine for a specific reason. The normal hopping half routine kind of making the spectators look foolish. They cannot guess whats in your hand and when they finally guesses "right" your hand is empty. I do not like routines that makes the entire crowd feel cheated and to some extent "stupid" (it's not my style.

I love the presentation suggested. It's a sweet story that focuses more on making magic, than asking people to guess whats in your hand.

Thanks for reinventing my hopping halves, I almost retired it, but I will get it into play again.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Thank you for sharing this very sweet story/ patter / presentation for the Hopping Halves, The Great Smartini. Hopping Halves is one of my strongest gaffed coins effects that I do in between cards. It's clean, impossible, and less confusing than the C/B/S/
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
I can assure you that you've given us all something far greater than a few lines of text associated with your patter. You've made us THINK.

Magic is visual, no if, ands or buts about that. However, too often I find myself reminded that the minds eye is just as visual. Shame on me. Your poem is an effect all in itself. I actually 'saw' your effect without ever seeing it. Thanks!
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
I am impressed. Thanks for sharing. Someone else said it, but I'll reiterate. I enjoy when others concentrate on the presentation and not on the effect itself. Thanks again.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2005-03-01 03:44, Vraagaard wrote:
I like the routine for a specific reason. The normal hopping half routine kind of making the spectators look foolish. They cannot guess whats in your hand and when they finally guesses "right" your hand is empty. I do not like routines that makes the entire crowd feel cheated and to some extent "stupid" (it's not my style.

I love the presentation suggested. It's a sweet story that focuses more on making magic, than asking people to guess whats in your hand.

Thanks for reinventing my hopping halves, I almost retired it, but I will get it into play again.

What more ca I say!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
I have a thought for an ending that I think may fit your patter and give just a bit of a suprise to it as well. If you are at all a student of slieght of hand then the solution to this handling will come to you.(If not I may be able to help if you PM me) In the story you mention that the the coin was hit by the train. You could have it return to the hand as the silver dissappears. The difference would be that you would have it returned as a coin (it would be smashed)that had been run over by the train. The appearance at the end would be a slight suprise and it could illustrate why it never returned. Or maybe both could be run over and the coins reappear smashed in your hands as you mention that nothing on earth could keep them apart. Just an incomplete thought, a jump off point if you will
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
I have a thought for an ending that I think may fit your patter and give just a bit of a suprise to it as well. If you are at all a student of slieght of hand then the solution to this handling will come to you.(If not I may be able to help if you PM me) In the story you mention that the the coin was hit by the train. You could have it return to the hand as the silver dissappears. The difference would be that you would have it returned as a coin (it would be smashed)that had been run over by the train. The appearance at the end would be a slight suprise and it could illustrate why it never returned. Or maybe both could be run over and the coins reappear smashed in your hands as you mention that nothing on earth could keep them apart. Just an incomplete thought, a jump off point if you will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Half Routine - with credit to Steve Bacho (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL