The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promo Packs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
I want to put together a promo pack for elementary schools to assist in booking my kid's shows. I would like to know what goes into them (The Parts). Also, do you put in your pack the $$ of each show? Or do you discuss this at the time they call? Any and all info given will be helpful........PIZZAZZ
May all your days be "magic" days
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
When I was doing school shows, I didn't spend a lot of money on promo packs. After I left that market, I had some "leftovers", and I marketed them in a promotional "sample" packet, along with my videos. I found what worked best for me was:

- Some letters, or excerpts from letters. IMO, this is a must. I tried to include a small mix from administrators, teachers, and students. The people who hire are really interested in what those groups think after seeing your show.

- A description of your show, along with some "action" photos taken during a similar show if you have them, and why this is suitable for school time rather than just a "waste" of school time.

- A "call to action." This is so often missed in promo. Tell them what they should do to book you -- and make it easy for them to book you.

- Finally, I would reproduce a news clipping or two of my from local newspapers. This gives you "celebrity status" in the eyes of the buyer, and can be what pushes them toward you if they are deciding between you and another act. One was particularly effective; it was from the second-largest paper in my state, and the caption described me as a "magician and educator." What an endorsement ...

Price has always been a sticking point on these shows. I used to preach that one should never include a price until you know the prospect's needs, and assess what you can offer them. That still stands. However, in the case of school shows where you are doing the exact same show the exact same way, and you understand the variables of different venues (stage, gym floor, availability of sound systems, etc.), I think I would strongly consider changing my stand. There's something to be said for having everyone who calls be someone who's ready to book.

Also, if you know you have competitive pricing, it can be a plus. So, my answer would be, if you are a higher-priced act, do not include price and work it into your presentation. If you are a moderate or affordable act, then, yes, I would include price as a selling point in the promo.

As for the "look" of the promo, I used to include lots of pieces: separate letters, photos, brochures, etc. I soon discovered that, while this was great for my own ego, it didn't really increase sales and actually cost a lot more to produce. So, I went to black-and-white copy on colored paper, either two-page (two sides of a single 8-1/2 X 11 paper), or a four-page (11 X 17 folded into a four-page brochure). This "flyer" contained all the elements I mentioned and sold a lot of shows for me. I did not send out a video unless requested. Sometimes I would make a suggestion as to where they might get funding for such a program.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promo Packs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL