The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox Penetration that comes with a Needle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Had a Matchbox Penetration - not too pleased with quality.

Local dealer had one that came with a needle. It was VERY THICK. Mine is just under 1/4 inch thick. This one seemed almost twice as thick! They both have grains that run lengthwise. The dealer's was much better quality than mine, and it came with a rather long needle that had a sringe-like bubble on one end.

Didn't buy it. Changed my mind a week later, but it was sold. Dealer gets a new one, but it is the same, thin version I had before. He said he couldn't get one like he had before. Hmmmm...

I have so far not been able to track down the version I would like to purchase. Was hoping a Café Member could help.

Thank you!

Woops, found it at Hocus-Pocus. Would still appreciate any feedback from owners of this version as to the quality they have experienced.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe the "original" came from Spain some years ago and was sold initially by Joe Stevens. The new generations (rip-offs?) were never quite as well-made. Smile
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
I have one but I do not know who is the manufacture. Works grate for close up.
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On 2005-02-05 20:28, Julie wrote:
I believe the "original" came from Spain some years ago and was sold initially by Joe Stevens. The new generations (rip-offs?) were never quite as well-made. Smile

I remember this one. I believe the inventor's name was Martinez. This version is the real thing. The workmanship was so good, that spectator's could examine the block til doomsday without finding anything. This is one of the few tricks, where spectators MUST examine the prop, because that's the whole point of the trick. Unfortunately it is hard to find one of these. All of the rip-offs I have seen are so bad, it's a shame.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
This is one of those item's that must be examined before purchase in order to get a good working model. I did not examine mine until I got home (from Las Vegas) then it was too late (and expensive) to return it for an exchange.
Some item's just need to be inspected before the purchase to make sure you are getting what you pay for, the sh**l for Mulitipling Billiard Balls is an excellent example too many do not fit properly or color does not match. This is just one reason it is important that we don't lose all of the "brick & mortar" Magic shops to the Internet.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I thought initially it was an Eddie Gibson idea but maybe not...

Paul.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I purchased mine a few years ago from Hank Lee. The block is larger, thicker and much better made than the thinner less deceiving ones you see.
The gimmick is not the usual lengthwise one. Without revealing it
let me just say it's much better than that. You can hand the block out
for examination without worry. See it here. (Go to bottom and left) http://www.hanklee.org/hankievision/index.html

David
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
David, thank you.

The block on the Hankievision presentation looks like the one I had been wanting, and found at Hocus Pocus.

The only difference is that the needle I will be receiving has a sort of "bubble handle" or grip at one end, and does not come with a ribbon to thread through the matchbox.

However, the block looks the same, and it will hopefully be the same in terms of quality as yours.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

If you can locate the version released my Dick Zimmerman, you will have a great routine to add to your repertoire. The Magician displays a matchbox and a needle attached to a thin ribbon. The needle and ribbon are threaded through the matchbox and shown on all sides. When removed, the drawer is slid open and a piece of plexiglass fills the drawer completely.

I have used both and prefer the Zimmerman set up. It is a real fooler.

Regards,

Paul Green
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I ordered the one from Hocus Pocus. Unfortunately, instead of receiving the version pictured on their site, I received one of the thinner ones that come with a toothpick.

I sent it back to Hocus Pocus, and they will either send me the correct version (if they still have one in stock) or refund.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Chessmann,
Call Hank Lee. That's where I purchased mine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox Penetration that comes with a Needle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL