The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cheif_Magi
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Cheif_Magi
I want to buy Tabary's Rope Act DVD. I was wondering if it is ok for my first handlings with the ropes. I also wanted to know if Fiber optics or Tabary is better.
~~Chris
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
Hi,

Tabary DVD is great from the start to the end. The act is complete and some part can be used as separate effects. The moves are great. Very good DVD to own on the subject. Tabary act is a professional act. So be prepared to practice over and over again. Good investment if you are interested to do quality rope magic. Tabary is thruly the master of rope magic.

Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my french...
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
I actually bought both DVD's and agree with kristel. It IS a must have for rope magic, but I don't think the audience gives as much of a reaction as they do for Fiber Optics. Tabary's routine, In My Opinion, is more of a 'Wait, didn't he just have 2 ends?' type thing. Fiber Optics is more 'Oh My God! He just changed 2 ropes into one!' If you plan on sticking with Rope Magic, might as well get both. Just my opinion Smile

Adam
Cheif_Magi
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Cheif_Magi
I think I am going to get Tabary first then Fiber Optics. I may be able to get both in my next purchse but probably not. Thank you for the help both of you!
~~Chris
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
I got both of Tabary's videos years ago when they came out and I can recommend both of them quite highly.

The 1st tape showcases his long routine while the 2nd tape explains a few shorter routines (included some with "jumping" knots) and yet another that is a Ring and Rope routine (the ring is about 2" diameter).

All of the routines, are extremely well taught. Many times Tabary turns to explain/demonstrate the moves from different angles to facilitate easier learning.
He also frequently performs the explanation with the white ropes (as per performance) AND then immediately repeats the explanation with CONTRASTING colored ropes to ensure that the viewer can follow along easily.

Both tapes are filled with various ideas/moves that can be incorporated into your own rope routine or be performed just as Tabary does.
If you are looking to add some interest to your current rope routine(s) I can't recommend these enough.

Since I have not yet viewed Fiber Optics (other than the brief trailer on the Web), I can not make a fair comparison between Sander's material and Tabary's.
Judging from the quick clips in the Fiber Optics trailer, it appears that many of the moves are from/based on Tabary's. However, it seems that everyone has had only GOOD things to say regarding Sander's DVD (including a magic colleague who mentioned Fiber Optics [when he saw that I would be performing my rope routine] while we were both backstage prior to a performance).

Cheers, Wes
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Fiber Optics is the updated version of 3 Ropes and a Baby. I am currently using it with a little variation. Audience reaction is great!

The Tabary videos are great too but I was not able to put it into practice. Have not mastered thus have not performed for real people.
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
Tabary is a must have.

But if you're starting out with rope magic, please do not ignore the basic stuff, they can be very good too. Some examples are the Professor's Nightmare and the Bachelor's Needle

I think Tabary won one of the FISM competitions doing the rope act from his DVD #1.

Then in World's Greatest Magic he was invited to perform the same routine.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Yes Respho this is true.
Cheif_Magi
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Cheif_Magi
Just to let everyone know thanks to your help I ordered the Dvds and they are fantastic
~~Chris
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
My 2-DVD set of Tabry arrived today. Have been doing Fiber Optics forthe last 3 weeks, (which my wife loves as a routine), and she was completely bored with all of Tabary, except a couple of moves.
I think both are great, however, my strategy now wil be just to mix and match, and come up with something medium-paced, not too many "exposures" of the extra pieces with some originality in terms of patter added.
Rgds - Bruce
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
And again I say, Tabray, hands down. I really don't understand the statement of being bored. My wife loves the Tabray routine.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Tabary has his rope effect coming out in book form! Yep, all those crazy moves that you tried to learn from his fantastic DVD has been translated into book form. I already own the DVD and have just sent in my hard earned cash for the book. It should arrive here sometime in the next two weeks. For those of you looking to invest the almost, $70.00 for the book....yep, that is a lot but Tabary's rope routien KILLS and worth every penny and every minute spent learning it the correct way. I have the DVD and can't wait to get my copy of the book. Owning the combination of both the DVD and the illustrated book makes this magician smile.
PS: Both H&R Magic Books and Hocus Pocus is offering the new book NOW!
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
"Different strokes for different folks" I guess.
I think she used the word "bored" in the same way that card magic mostly just fails to ignite any interest in me completely.
As a magician, I can understand the immense complexity and technical brilliance of what Tabary does, however, I can understand that rope magic is not everyone's "cup of tea".
She prefers Cups/Balls, Sponge Balls, Silks etc., and whilst she loves FibeOptic routine (and derivatives), Tabary is a bit too slow and, in her mind, "boring".
If I had bought Tabary first, and then F.O, I think I would have been more impressed, however, there are some great moves from Tabary that I will be using, especially his Ring and Rope routine, which I think is quick, punchy, and looks great.
Rgds - Bruce
Bennie90
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
169 Posts

Profile of Bennie90
I have allready Daryls expert rope magic 3dvd set. Should I buy tabary even I allready have those?
*going crazy with Jeff Mcbrides Art Of Card Manipulation dvds*
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Bennie: I finally have Tabary's routine down to where I could probably not disapoint a paying audience. (which means I'm not ready).
But I'll always recommend purchasing other rope magic routines/DVD's. It's RESEARCH! Learn all you can about the subject, before you know it, your own custom routine will just HAPPEN.
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Fiber Optics allowed me to 'design' a routine that fit my style and needs. It's like a jazz rope routine with a lot of options and forks in the road. I too own both of tabary's dvds and love his work but If I had to go back in time and could only own one of them I'd choose Fiber Optics....then again, I'm mostly cards and coins and Fiber Optics suited my needs better. Tabary's work should definitely be in your library.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1035 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Tabary's routine has briliant moves and wonderfull concepts but I can understand people being bord. First of all it is terribly long. I find myself wanting to fast forward when I watch the performance on the DVD, and I love rope magic. He also delivers his patter as if it is a lecture on what he can do with a rope. This becomes both destracting from the magic that is happening and a challenge to the audience. Some of the moves are hard to follow which also leads you into the "whats going on" realm of boredom. Don't get me wrong though, there is allot of great material in there. I think it best if you are going to study his work, to find the parts that really make it sing and focus on them. My rope routine curently starts and ends with moves from Tabary's DVD.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17137 Posts

Profile of joseph
Remember, Tabary, being French, may be trying to say something he believes is correct, but his English is not perfect....One performer at last years Abbott's Magic Get-Together evening show stol...I mean performed most of Tabary's act, and got a standing ovation...and it was done to music!.... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1035 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I see what you mean Joseph, but the subtle mistranslations in his speach are the best part, they give us more personality. Your Abbotts bet together guy did it to music, which I agree is a good idea. But in the long run I am talking about how a lay audience reacts. A lay audience does not tolerate so many effects, they don't have the attention for it. Of coarse an audience of magicians does respect a well played rope routine, or string of good moves.

P.S. Are you the Joseph from the Richiardi special?
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
761 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Tabary's routine is great, or he would never have won FISM.
I have the DVD for his routine. His explanations are very clear even if English is a second language.
I only found a few problems with the routine. I have smaller hands, and some of the moves where you conceal the knot, or bunch up the rope looks unnatural.
You could use a slimmer rope, but a lot of the effect is lost that way. I also didn't like the beginning where you couldn't just pick up the rope without pulling the extra part out of your jacket.
I finally worked out a modified routine that contained most of the elements, and used rope magnets. It was a pleasure to pickup one peace of rope, and do the routine. It also let me show the circle without the phony looking move from the video.
As for the boredom issue, usually a magicians wife is the worst audience to work for!
Professor J. P. Fawkes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL