We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis catastrophes on stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
For the stage hypnotists in the crowd: What are the most challenging things that have happened to you on stage? Volunteer Catastrophes? Things that scared you? Things you work to avoid happening? Stage hypnotist's nightmere?
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Mike Heap let me reprint one of his articles about this same topic. You can read it at http://www.imbre.org/learning.html (select "Some stories about hypnosis; M. Heap")
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I've been very, very lucky. I've had nothing really "scary" happen during my hyp show other than the odd person who was enjoying the deep relaxation so much, they refused to "wake up"...so I just let them lay there and enjoy it. I did, however, have one fellow go so deep and so relaxed...he wet his pants.

~Rick~
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
The worst I have experienced, a few years back was a guy participating in the "the hypnotist is invisible" experiment and I ran out of the room. of course he instantly woke as soon as he left the performance room, but I still had to go and chase him.

The guy on the door was busy laughing, and never thought about stopping him.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
If you do enough hypnosis shows you are bound to have some disasters, I guess you just have to roll with the punches, so to speak.
Hypno
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
996 Posts

Profile of kcalB
A few years back in 2001 I was performing at a Harley Davidson rally in Michigan for 10,000 bikers that were camping out.
I was sharing the stage with the folowing acts,
Iron Butterfly of (Inna Gadda Da Vida Fame) Jethro Tull, Bad Company and Grand Funk Railroad,...it was pretty cool to get paid and hang with this lot to boot.

The show begins and my subjects are on stage and the sound system is awesome because of the aforementioned acts and it's time for me to ask for the standard "For the next couple of minutes please refain from talking or making any noise while I put these kind people into trance"

NOT !

No way was I going to make that statement for this rowdy audience,.. so I turned it inside out and suggested to my subjects that, "For the next few minutes every sound that you hear from the crowd such as reving engines,screetching tires, woman screaming and laughing etc and so forth that it will cause you to go deeply into trance".

Well, It worked and it worked better than a crowd in a banquet hall with complete silence and so I learned that the silence thing is not an absolute and that the Harley Davidson crowd was a great bunch of people and one of the best that I ever performed for and I have done several shows for Harley Davidson since then.

The only mishap was that at the end of the fourth and final show of that glorious weekend was that I had one subject who somehow at the end of the show thought that he was stuck in hypnosis and refused to leave his chair .
This was dealt with properly but it was about 5 minutes before he finally got up to leave,... I think when I whispered in his ear that The Wet T Shirt contest was about to begin down in the barn that it was his incentive to stop his act and go.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2005-02-06 11:54, Sebastian Black wrote:
The only mishap was that at the end of the fourth and final show of that glorious weekend was that I had one subject who somehow at the end of the show thought that he was stuck in hypnosis and refused to leave his chair .
This was dealt with properly but it was about 5 minutes before he finally got up to leave,... I think when I whispered in his ear that The Wet T Shirt contest was about to begin down in the barn that it was his incentive to stop his act and go.

LOL! that's one of the greatest hyp experiences Ive ever heard!! that's just hilarious!
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Do a search I have posted a number of things that can and have went wrong withhypnosis shows. Hypnosis shows can be dangerous especially at the begining.

Shrink
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
There was a hypnotist I booked to do a show in Glasgow, back in the last century.
Now there were 2 hypnotists working out of Glasgow at that time, both called 'Damien'. One was absolutely excellent. This is a story about the other one, the one that I booked by mistake!
He was so poor it was truly froightening. At one stage he was doing table-hopping hypnosis. Yeah, you heard me right.
He got one woman to stand up before hypnotising her. Then he told her to totally relax and as she fell and banged her head of the edge of the table forcing a trickle of blood to come out of her left ear, he developed a Svengali stance and screamed at her, as she lay on the carpet... "And you will not feel a thing."
I swear to you it's true. He of course no longer works in the field.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
Great stories. A follow up question: while I've performed magic, mentalism, etc for many years, I've never performed hypnosis as an act...only in casual setting with friends. (If I had any question about the reality of hypnosis, it vanished during the first few successful inductions!). I learned the basics from clinical hypnosis books in college and was shocked that I was able to induce trances. One big warning the books gave was against using age regression with people who had troubled childhoods. I have seen stage hypnotists do age regression with powerful effects, but they do check beforehand to only use those who had "happy childhoods". Any interesting age regression stories?
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
The only age regression I've done is tell the "sleepers" that they are 7 years old in grade 2...it's a great skit as they all draw pictures with crayons...it gives them something to take home and talk about the next day.

~Rick~

Terry Stokes had the best ending for a hyp show I've ever seen. He got the smallest female from the subjects, made her as stiff as a board, placed her between 2 chairs and then stood on her. Terry is 6 feet and hitting 180 lbs.

It indeed, is impressive and as I said, a great "last suggestion".

~Rick~
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I thought age regression for entertainment purposes was strictly a no-no?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Why do you say that withnail?

Quote:
On 2005-02-07 03:32, RickSilmser wrote:
Terry Stokes had the best ending for a hyp show I've ever seen. He got the smallest female from the subjects, made her as stiff as a board, placed her between 2 chairs and then stood on her. Terry is 6 feet and hitting 180 lbs.

~Rick~

As many of you will know, with this effect hypnosis is NOT necessary.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Quote:
On 2005-02-07 08:03, bobser wrote:
Why do you say that withnail?

Hi Bobser.

I heard a few things about regressed adults 'remembering' about being abused as children, memories which they had burried in their subconcious.

I think there were a few law suits issued (I think Paul McKenna was subject to an unsuccessful one) and after that there were a set of guidlines drawn up (I'm not sure who by) which basically stated it was risky to regress people incase the regression triggered dormant memories.

I think in one case the woman needed a lot of counselling after being regressed and 'remembering' parts of her childhood.

That's my reason for the post, anyway!
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
holmes
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of holmes
I would keep well away from regression experiments on stage. It is asking for trouble.
If you do insist on these stunts then tread carefully. It can be done if you put it in the right context as an imagined experience rather than a real one. Thus the famous Bridey Murphy experiment as described by Ormond Mc'Gill would be an acceptable routine.
As for the Terry Stokes thing this is as old as the hills and I have seen many hypnotists do it.
However I wouldn't do it and would never recommend it. It is one of those stunts which can result in accidents and it should never be done unless you have your own assistant trained.
It isn't hypnotism anyway but then neither is hypnotism. I just plain don't believe in it.
One of the greatest stage hypnotists of all time told me that the whole thing was baloney. I was quite shocked at the time since he had written learned articles and a book on the subject.
I do believe that some of the subjects THINK they have been hypnotised. However that is not hypnosis-it is self delusion. They act like they think hypnotised subjects are supposed to act.
It is a bit like people trying to fit themselves into what a newspaper horoscope says even though it is plain bunkum. I should know. I used to write newspaper horoscopes. I used to make it all up of course.
I think the key to avoid disasters in a hypnosis show is to have the frame of mind that the whole thing is baloney. Performers who believe in the hypnotic state tend to panic and think some strange "abreaction" is happening when nothing whatever is taking place.
When you know that the whole thing is baloney you don't panic when unexpected things happen. How can something be dangerous when it doesn't exist in the first place?
Mind you, you do have to watch out for the subjects welfare. You give a warning at the start of the show that you want to discourage people with heart trouble, epilepsy and most importantly psychiatric illnesses to volunteer. You MUST tell the audience this before a single person comes up on stage. Then when they are up you have to keep an eagle eye out for people who shouldn't be there. You have to send them back no matter how good a subject they are.

And watch out for physical harm. Broken legs on stage don't look good. Broken necks tend to be bad showmanship in my opinion and it really is an inconvenience arranging for mortuaries when all you want is to get home
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
If I were to develop a hypnosis show I can't imagine doing age regression or the Stokes move in today's litigious society. Yikes. Best to just do them at home, or at the holidays with the relatives.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2005-02-07 03:32, RickSilmser wrote:

~Rick~

That is just about the worst ending possible for a stage hypnosis show. Muscle ligament and bone can easily be damaged and cause a lot of pain. It is irresponsable and wreckless and are just one of the unsavoury stunts that give stage hypnosis a bad name..

Shrink
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, at the risk of sounding commercial, I've been doing stage hypnosis for about 36 years now (I'll be 53 when the clock chimes 1:10AM on April Second - I had trouble with my timing as a little tot, I guess) and have recently completed a book in .pdf format on Safety for Stage Hypnotists. It includes stage problems (rickety stages, footlights, curtains, bad chairs, orchestra pits, etc.), volunteer management (to keep them OUT of the orchestra pit and to keep them from injuring themselves and each other) and even a chapter on "Sex and the Single (or not so single) Stage Hypnotist (which covers things like groupies, STD's and even sexual entrapment).

It's available from me, directly and, as soon as I can figure out how to accept PayPal, I will offer it that way, but for now, email me for details. It goes for $20 + 3.50 shipping and handling.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
holmes
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of holmes
Lee. That sounds a great resource. About time that someone wrote a book on it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis catastrophes on stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL