The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thayer great leon pillary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Has anyone had any experience with a leon pillary? Apparantly it differs from a Houdini Pillary. Any guess as to what a Thayer model would sell for.
Also, if it is Thayer, how does one know that it's original and not a repro.
Does this illusion still play big for today's audience. Many thanks
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You Might want toPost this in the Collectors Area. they would be able to tell you what to look for.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Well, lets just say that the ad's saying this can be done as a substitution or a three second escape are...

....full of beans?

You can see this escape in the Owen Catalog. I know exactly how it works and one of the things you have to do is work a rod off like the mail bag bar.

Now, as an escape, if made to form fit you, it is a miracle. But you have to have it custom made to fit YOU perfectly.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I bought a home-made copy of a Leon pillory from a local magic shop years ago, and could never 'work' it as described. The part about how to clear the back of the head (with the stickers on the front seam) sounded good as described in Thayer's instructions, but in practice it didn't work for me with that particular pillory, indicating, as Mark said, that it has to be fitted to the performer.

I'm also curious as to other people's experiences with it.
I once saw a photo of Leo Irby in what looked to be a Leon pillory.
Good subject.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Thank you so much for some great comments. Let me ask this. I've come across a Thayer model Leon Pillary for sale in near mint condition. They are asking $850.00.
What's your thought on that price. Worhwhile, a bargain, or way too high.
Is this something that is valuable as an appreciating collectors item?
You comments will be most helpful.
Thanks again.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
If it is, in fact, verified to be an actual Thayer item, the price might well be pretty close to the collector's value. You might want to ask Joe Tanner's opinion.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'll say check with a few collectors. I know of one. and I also know that owens owns/bought out thayers.
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Thank you so much for some very thought provoking comments. The idea of custom made had not crossed my mind.
Without fishing for details of its workings, I'm curious as to how difficult the workings are on this escape. When referring to the custom fit idea, how so?
In regards to the hole sizes for head & hands? I have fairly small hands & wrists. Is that an asset or a hinderance in this case.
And getting back to the value, is there any reference for putting values on these older items? Seems to be such a daunting task to try and standardize these pieces.
Your continued thoughts are most appreciated. I'm delighted to have found this site.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Mike Caveney's book, The Great Leon, has a description of the workings on pages 114-115 along with a photo of the prop.
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Dear Carnegie,
Thank you. I didn't realize Caveney had this out. That should prove helpful.
Thanks again for taking the time.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Thayers stuff/plans are now owned by Owens. you might want to contact them.
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
Owens version is slightly different than the Thayer one. the bolt in Thayer is 1/2" while the Owen is 5/8" the thickness of the stocks part is also slightly thicker.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thayer great leon pillary (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL