The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » LJ Snap Double (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Oh, you mean a double with no "get ready" ?

Euan
Leeo
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
99 Posts

Profile of Leeo
In my opinion, the Snap Double is a completely unnatural method for a DL. For me, a convincing double lift should mimic as closely as possible the method for a single card turnover and I've never seen anyone perform a single lift in the style of the Snap Double. I use a hit lift or strike method, so there is no get ready, and compliment this by pushing my thumb lightly over the top card as if I was really pushing it off.
Of course it goes without saying that Larry Jennings was a genius, and he probably forgot more magic than I will ever learn in my lifetime.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I Agree that a snap double is unnatural. But so too is card springing, that Fan thing where you move the bottom card about as a gag, and, lets face it just about any classic "Manipulation" move. IMHO there is a place in magic for "Natural" moves, and for Flourishes. I wouldn't use the Snap double all the time, but there is definately a place for it in a well constructed routine.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Michael T
No matter what the problems are with the snap, Daryls tip about the outjog and square with the index finger is a great one. Gets you your break for the turnover again perfectly.

Also, try a Juan Tamariz subtelty on the seondary turnover for an extra convincer.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-09-23 18:18, Andy Charlton wrote:
I wouldn't use the Snap double all the time, but there is definately a place for it in a well constructed routine.

Cheers

Andy
Very true. Even on his "Ambitious card" video, you'll notice that daryl only does the "snap double" sometimes. He seems to use a "strike" dl when he describes most of the "extra moves" on the tape.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
I use this move in an ambitious card routine. If the snap sound is bothering you, just snap your fingers instead to cover up the noise suspicion.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Leeo,
The actions of the Hit Double is unnatural as well. So is the Vernon Double, the Paul Curry Double. When turning a card over, "naturally", it is usually done stud fashion, not book style flipping it face up onto the deck. So, your claim is incorrect. On the other hand, when we do turn a card(s) over, as magicians, we usually flip the card(s) face up book style onto the deck. The get ready really doesn't matter. As long as the cards are aligned and the double is convincing enough to the spectator, then whatever double you are comfortable with should be suffice.

Best,
Trini
Trini Montes
worldasillusion
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of worldasillusion
Quote:
On 2002-09-19 16:18, brownitus wrote:
The snap IS the purpose of the double! Sheesh. You snap the card over-- sounds nice.

peace.

Absolutely not. The first purpose of this Jennings method is TO GET A BREAK. The Jennings Double is really not a "double" at all, but a GET READY. Even w/o an audible snap, it can be extremely elegant, in the right hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » LJ Snap Double (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL