The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Kevlar knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
Hi All.

I am using Kevlar IT for Fearson's Floating Cigarette hookup. The thread always breaks right at the knot. Is there somebody that has a special knot instruction to prevent Kevlar from breaking? I don't like tape or wax on the cigarette...

Thanks,

Wolf.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Kevlar has tremendous pull strength, but horrible bend strength. But you already knew that... I learned this from kite flying. All Kevlar kite lines have to be "sleeved" with something so they don't break at the knot.

You need to find a way to fasten it that doesn't involve knotting. I haven't tried it, but just looping it around the cig and letting the tail lay lengthwise along the support strand might work. I know you said "no wax" but perhaps a dab of wax on this tail will help it to cling to the thread without having to tie a knot.

Or, thread it "through" the cigarette and stick it on the underside, again with a dab of wax (not enough to be seen, just enough to be sticky)

Just keep all bends gentle with no kinks or knots and you should do fine.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
Thanks Dave. Looks like it's either Kevlar and wax or Nylon and knots...Smile
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
I do the Fearson floating cig trick a lot and I'd recommend using normal IT for it and not Kevlar. Kevlar is more expensive and thicker than normal IT. Normal IT is sufficient for floating a cigarette.

Otherwise try twisting a pair of IT together for more strength.
Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
I don't know why, but the strengh of Kevlar makes me feel much more comfortable. Think I am going to stick to it. Using clear/white wax, it seems to last longer (without knot)...
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
If you need kevlar to float a cigarette, you should take a serious look at your technique!
Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
I never said that I need kevlar, it just makes me feel more comfortable. The original question was: What kind of knots are you guys using to keep kevlar from breaking...
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Just super glue a really small dot on the knot to prevent it from un-tangeling/breaking.
For a wolly nylon knot, just use two, one on top of the other.

Hope it helps.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
Thanks Eirik. Perfect idea. This works even without a knot...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Kevlar knot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL